Re-Gluing peeling Radian stickers?

T.O. Twins

Should Sunshine Kids be telling me to re-glue my peeling, brittle stickers on my radian rather than providing me with some other solution?

Like many other people, the stickers on my 2 Radians (Canadian 65s with DOM 11/09), quickly started peeling and wrinkling and looking oily. Some have fallen off. In August Sunshine Kids (in Canada) promised me new stickers. I never received the stickers so I wrote to them again a few days ago and got this response:

"I am sorry to get back to you so late on this, but I wanted to check all my options. There are no new stickers that I can send you---I thought it would be a simple thing to do but I guess not. The answer that I get is that, the stickers should be super glued back on to keep them on there."

Does this seem reasonable? Some of my stickers (I think some french belt path ones) have entirely fallen off by this point and the others that are partially hanging on are quite brittle and tattered. I really don't know that I can successfully glue them back on.

Should I just do my best to glue the stickers that are still there and hope they last, or is that not acceptable? My kids probably only have a couple of years left in these seats, and I would like to be able to pass them along when we are done. I don't know that I can do that with re-glued, unreadable stickers.

I can post pictures of the stickers, if anyone wants to see. I just couldn't figure out how best to do it right at this moment. My pictures look like the ones in these threads: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=105101 and http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=92549

Last edited:
ADS

tiggercat

I had the same problem with the stickers on my 08 Radian XT. Even my date of manufacture sticker fell off. They initially told me the same thing as you, just superglue them back on, but I was uncomfortable adding an untested adhesive to the seat and most of my stickers were in such poor condition that that wasn't really a viable option. I had to really push the issue, and say that my <1 yr old seat now doesn't meet standards, and that I expected either a repair kit with new stickers, or a seat that meets standards. They chose to replace my seat, and sent me a new 2010 XT Radian.
You might want to let transport canada know that you had this experience. They are aware of my issue, but I don't know how widespread it is, and they might be interested if a lot of people in Canada are having the same issue.

amyd

My stickers haven't fallen off (yet:p), but I agree with letting TC know about it. If you PM Trudy (snowbird25ca), she can get you in touch with Barb Baines at TC (I'm assuming she's who you should talk with about it).

T.O. Twins

Thanks for the replies. I will let TC know.

I had to really push the issue, and say that my <1 yr old seat now doesn't meet standards, and that I expected either a repair kit with new stickers, or a seat that meets standards.

What are the standards for stickers? I tried to search for this, but coudn't find the information. Do seats just have to have the DOM and CMVSS stickers, or do the instruction stickers also have to be there? It seems like the CMVSS sticker and the DOM sticker which also has the model number on it are different than the other stickers and are holding up better (there is a second DOM only sticker that is falling off).

tiggercat

What are the standards for stickers? I tried to search for this, but coudn't find the information. Do seats just have to have the DOM and CMVSS stickers, or do the instruction stickers also have to be there? It seems like the CMVSS sticker and the DOM sticker which also has the model number on it are different than the other stickers and are holding up better (there is a second DOM only sticker that is falling off).

My computer is being really difficult, but the regulatory text is available on transport canada's website. search CMVSS 213 Now I don't know for sure if manufacturers are required to ensure that seats continue to meet the standards with regular wear and tear, but this seems to go above that. It seemed to be enough to convince them to replace my seat, anyway.

Here we go http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/acts-regulations/sor-98-159-regulations.pdf Scroll down to page 5 and it talks about having the NSM and intructions indelibly moulded into or printed on a label in a permanently affixed manner...

CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS ENSEMBLES DE RETENUE POUR ENFANT
6. Every child restraint system must have indelibly
moulded into or onto it, or indelibly printed on a label
affixed to it in a permanent manner, in both official languages,
in a readily visible location,
(a) the name and principal place of business of the
company that manufactured, imported or sold the system;
(b) the model name and number of the system;
(c) the date of manufacture of the system, in the form
set out in Schedule 8;
(d) a statement that indicates
(i) the weight and height range of the children for
whom the system is designed, as recommended by
the manufacturer, if the system is designed as a forward-
facing system for use by children, or
(ii) the weight and height range of the infants and
the children for whom the system is designed, as
recommended by the manufacturer, if the system is
designed to be used as a rearward-facing system for
infants and as a forward-facing system for children;
(e) the characteristics of vehicles in which the system
is not to be used;

etc.

amyd

The instruction stickers must be there as well, I believe.

T.O. Twins

Re: Re-Gluing peeling Radian stickers? - Update

Thanks for the information, everyone. Trudy put me in touch with Barb who contacted Sunshine Kids. Within a few hours of Barb getting in touch with them, SK sent me out two new seats. And my new seats are thew new 2010 version of the Radian 65s which rearface to 40 pounds and (at least here in Canada) have the SL. Yea!!!

Unfortunately, not all was 100% wonderful. The covers on the new seats were a bit defective. The top harness slot on one of the seats was not fully cut open, and whoever assembled the seat had just scrunched the harness through. This could be easily fixed by cutting the hole open the rest of the way (since it was sewn correctly, just not cut), but there were more problems.

On both of the new seats' covers, the hole for the harness strap adjuster in the front of the cover was too narrow. This seems to be an ongoing problem, as the original covers on my original seats also had this problem (SK replaced those for me when I bought my seats a year ago). The too-narrow hole is a problem because it causes the strap to bend and rub on the edges of the cover. After just a few weeks, as I learned with my first Radians, the friction begins to fray the strap -- and since these seats are good for 8 years, I can only imagine how much damage that could cause in the long run! The bent strap also means that the harness is very difficult to loosen. In order to loosen it, you first have to tuck the strap through the hole, and this is a pain with 2 squirmy kids.

I've attached photos of the problems, in case anyone is interested.
http://pbckt.com/sS.ZoF

Anyway, I'm sending back the new covers with the old seats and asking for replacement covers. For the time being, I have put my first set of replacement covers on the new seats, but the snaps on the old cover and the new seat aren't compatible, so I'm hoping they'll send me new covers that fit perfectly. The saga continues...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member

Why can't you just use the old covers on the new seats? I called about my peeling stickers and they just sent new stickers.

amyd

Why can't you just use the old covers on the new seats? I called about my peeling stickers and they just sent new stickers.

The snaps on the old & new Radians aren't compatible (at least not here in Canada).

T.O. Twins

The snaps on the old & new Radians aren't compatible (at least not here in Canada).

Exactly. The new covers and the old seats seem to both have the male end of the snaps on them.

I do actually have the old covers on the new seats for now. I haven't yet used the combination enough yet to see if it's actually a problem, but I do imagine that if we are traveling with the seats and folding/unfolding them a lot, it could lead to lot of shifting out of place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC