How many carseats does one need?

wild-one

I ask this because so far I have 4 people who want seats in their cars at all times. I thank 5 infant seats is too many for 1 baby!. I'm okay with extra bases but they want a whole seat.

Some of them are going to buy their own but some want me to buy theirs.

I guess if they want them they can buy them.
I just can't believe this many people want to take my child with them. it's weird:p.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Definitely not that many. If they'll have the kid more often than every other week or so maybe they should have a seat. They don't need an infant seat. They can get a convertible, or an extra base. None of them need their own infant seat unless they'll use it to transport other kids as well (in which case, again, they may be better off with a convertible.)

monstah

Consider if you actually want that many people taking your baby. I wish I trusted that many people with my kids, you're lucky!!

Answer: not that many
Tell them to calm down, you are about 12 seconds pregnant :p
LMAO.

macmomma

Maybe I am weird but I am very odd when it comes to other people taking my child in their car with them. When my son was little he did not go with anyone but myself or my husband in the car. He was in school before I let him go with someone else- but I did let him ride the school bus in Kindergarten:D
I do it the same way with my foster kids now- their social worker is the only one I let them go with (don't have much of a choice in that one:) ).

I know- I am paranoid :eek:

babyherder

Depends on how many carseats you like. The official formula is
(c x S) + c = total number of seats per family when c = number of children, S = number of seats you like. The extra c at the end is because each child needs one backup/spare/travel seat that does not necessarily have to be a seat you like, just one you have.

birdflippin'

For the amount of times that family has taken DS1, I just transfered his seat because it was just easier. Once he goes forward facing, I'll get the inlaws thier own seat for him. He didn't start going with them until he was weaned and it'll be the same for DS2.

Dillipop

We lived with my parents when ds was little, so we had a seat in each of our cars, plus my mom's car. When we moved out, my mom still watched ds a few times a week, so still needed a seat.

Now that my mom doesn't watch the kids often, she still has seats for each of the kids. She has my youngest one day a week and my oldest likes to go sleep over, so she keeps seats for them. Now that ds1 is older and can ride in a booster, my dad also keeps a booster in his truck in case they want to run out to home depot together or something! :rolleyes:

I'd say you need a seat (or base really) in each vehicle that you will have your child in on a weekly basis. If your mom only needs to transport baby once a month, it is easy enough to switch seats (or cars). If mom has baby once a week or more, then it would probably be worthwhile to have an additional seat.

vonfirmath

I ask this because so far I have 4 people who want seats in their cars at all times. I thank 5 infant seats is too many for 1 baby!. I'm okay with extra bases but they want a whole seat.

I just can't believe this many people want to take my child with them. it's weird:p.

1. I agree. You don't have to stress over this. Will all these people still feel it so necessary to have seats 8 months down the line when they are faced with an actual baby?

2. Who are these people? will you trust them with your baby in their cars often enough? Are they willing to buy a car seat themselves? Other people wanting does NOT necessitate you doing anything.

Andie

I would say 1 seat for each car they are going to be in more than a few days a month.

I try to have 2 seats per kid. 1 for my car, 1 for my parent's car (which they ride in frequently so the seats stay in there). If the 1 other person I trust takes them, which is rare, I usually install it. Although I know she is able to install the seats properly herself (*ahem* Jenny *ahem* ;)). I just like to do it so it is easier for her.

Currently, I have 1 seat for my oldest because his spare expired and he is in a booster and it's easy to switch cars. And 3 seats for my 2 year old. I actually won a seat awhile back and haven't given away/sold my extra yet. So not bad, still averaging 4 seats for 2 kids. :cool:

BookMama

Senior Community Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry about seats for anyone else's car right now, except for an extra base for your partner and possibly a caretaker if baby will be in child care (and even then only if you expect the caretaker to transport baby). It sounds like you're planning on using an infant seat when baby is born, and pretty much any infant seat you'd choose can be installed without the base. By the time you stop using the infant seat, you'll have a better idea of who transports your child enough to need a seat. :twocents:

Joyofbirth

Who are the people that want seats in their car? And why are they transporting your child? And how often?

When my nephew was a baby, I took him every weekend, from Thursday night till Sunday morning, so I had a spare. My girls have one set of seats for us and one for my mom. We were a one car family for a long time. So my mom or s-dad would take us places quite a bit. It was also good for her to have seats in case something just came up, since we only had one seat per child. She has sceneras and an apex. She bought them. If you are working, there might be need for multiple seats. I'd also want to know that they can install and use the seat properly, even if you're not there. Also, I'd tell everyone to wait until after the baby comes to figure all this out. If you have an infant seat, it's easy enough to make sure baby has a seat with whomever, even if there's no base. How you feel about a hypothetical baby and how you feel about your real baby might surprise you? I had fully planned to have weekly Saturday night date nights with dh starting when dd1 was 2 weeks. I couldn't stand to leave her at all until she was 2 months old and even then it was only a few hours.

gsdguenter

we have 1 seat per child in each car. My car, DH's car, and one of my parent's cars. My parents watch them 5 times per week so they definitely needed seats (I bought them). We used to only have seats in my car and not DH's, but it got annoying when we had to plan who was picking up the kids or work schedules etc. so we splurged and outfitted both of our cars. Not necessary, but helpful! We currently have 8 seats for 2 kids, but I plan on getting rid of two.

NannyMom

Why do these people want an infant seat and not just a base? Won't the seat always come with the baby? ;) Are these people that you need to care for the baby, or they just want to?

When Sofi was born, we had 1 vehicle. We had 1 base in there, a convertible (that was free BNIB), and I bought a base for my Boss' car because we went out with her a bit (and I didn't know how to properly use the carrier baseless).

Now that she's older, she has a seat in my car, DH's car, my Mom's car, and my Dad's car. She has an extra seat that's been staying in SIL's car lately. My parents have her every weekend. In an emergency, it would be my SIL (lives closest) or my parents that would help out, so I prefer thay have a seat.

When my DH went to the ER last month, my SIL didn't have the seat, but fortunately I was able to quickly install one. If it had been me in the ER, we would have had to wait an extra hour or 2 for my parents.

For me, it's about convenience. You only need to buy a convertible or base for whomever YOU want to.

firemomof3

We have 2 for each child and 1 for my daycare kiddo. Oh and I recently sold 3 of my car seats; Young Sport and 2 Parkways :(

InternationalMama

Where do all of these people live?

We have one seat for us in the US, one seat for us in Europe, one seat for the grandparents in the US (different state), one seat for the grandparents in Europe (different country) and one extra seat that we got for free. So that's five. And honestly I think it's too many even though we only have a maximum of 2 in any one country/state. We don't own a car and the grandparents have never transported DS anywhere without one of us present so it's overkill. But I think they like having their own car seats and they bought them so that's their choice. And they are convertibles so once DS can fly without bringing a car seat it will be very convenient.

lpperry

I would wait until you have the baby for people to get seats. For one, seats expire, so you don't want to lose 9 months or the seats life.

It sounds like you want an infant seat, so I think before the baby comes, you should get an infant seat and extra base--put one base in your car, one in dad's car. (just assuming dad is in the picture--if not, disregard that one).

Then, I would think about child care. Are you going to have a child care provider? Will the child care provider be transporting your child? If so, I would provide a seat or base. If you have a snugride 35 or something similar, I would purchase the extra base for daycare provider. If you have an infant seat that only goes to 22 pounds, I would probably get a convertible for daycare providers car because it will last longer. Otherwise, you'll have to get a convertible anyway at 9 months so when the baby outgrows the infant seat.

For grandparents--I would wait and see how often they are transporting. My parents got a convertible when my LO was about 6 months because when they watch him, they are extra nice and come pick him up! I didn't want them to get a base because I knew that the convertible would last so much longer. I have a tiny guy (think less than 5% for height) and he outgrow snugride 22 at 9 months.

For anyone else--also wait and see how often you want them transporting. Sometimes it is not too bad to just to install or trade cars.

I am very concerned about anyone else having a seat for my LO that I did not install or check. I installed my parent's seat and showed them how to do it. When they had to take it out for something, I rechecked after they reinstalled it. Also, I make sure people know how to buckle properly. I dislike anyone else driving with my LO unless I buckle him in or I am POSITIVE they will do it properly every time.

hesgimenez

First, I would not be buying anyone car seats if they do not live in my house. I think one seat, with a couple of bases is good to go. How often do you really plan to let these five people drive your baby around? For those who are buying their seat though, I would encourage them to buy convertibles. But again, are they really going to be driving baby around? Unless you want to be guilty ie-I bought a seat and you never let me drive baby around-then I would explain to them that they really should wait before buying a seat until the baby is older.

monstah

47. Per child. :D
Best answer ever.

But honestly, I have 3 kids & the oldest is 4. I only have car seats permanently installed in my car. I don't even keep seats in my husbands car because it's a 1999 versus my 2006 with advanced airbags. If the kids go anywhere, it's with me or DH in the safer vehicle.
I do keep spares in the closets and the attic :p but that's more about my habit than anything else. ;) DH doesn't like car seats in his car because of all of his kayak and fishing gear.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC