Winter coats and boosters

Lucy_R

I was thinking about this today and wondering(not that I'll need to know for quite a while), when children use boosters, is there rules about winter coats? I was just thinking because I know that I don't take my winter jacket off in the vehicle, so I was wondering what the rules are about it for booster use.

ADS

Maedze

The rule is the same for everyone, no winter coats under a harness or seatbelt, and that includes you and any other adult passengers :)

A think layer of non-compressible fleece is fine, but a traditional thick winter coat is not.

Lucy_R

I totally didn't even think that I shouldn't wear a coat. Omg, winter is like my personal hell having to take my kids coats on and off a million times, I can't imagine taking mine on and off as well:eek:

selinajean

I totally didn't even think that I shouldn't wear a coat. Omg, winter is like my personal hell having to take my kids coats on and off a million times, I can't imagine taking mine on and off as well:eek:

You can just unzip it so that the shoulder belt goes between the two sides of the coat front, laying flat against your chest. Make sure that the bottom of the coat is pulled up so that it goes over the lap belt, not under it. Although, getting all of this straightened out is sometimes more of a PITA than just removing the coat!

countrymum

I wear a leather coat and I find it is not compressable . I too couldnt imagine taking my coat off all the time. Hopefully I am ok it never occured to me before

Maedze

I wear a leather coat and I find it is not compressable . I too couldnt imagine taking my coat off all the time. Hopefully I am ok it never occured to me before

Leather tends to be too bulk for the lap belt to fit properly. It's not compressible because it's much too thick and unweildy. Not like fleece at all. I strongly recommend at the very least completely unbuttoning your coat and removing it entirely from the lap belt area.

Lucy_R

You can just unzip it so that the shoulder belt goes between the two sides of the coat front, laying flat against your chest. Make sure that the bottom of the coat is pulled up so that it goes over the lap belt, not under it. Although, getting all of this straightened out is sometimes more of a PITA than just removing the coat!
Ok, I've always put the lap part underneath the coat, but I've never adjusted the shoulder. This is a good tip, thank you!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Not disputing that adults should also remove bulky winter wear, but adult seat belts have pre-tensioners in newer vehicles. This tightens the belt when necessary in an accident. It's not the same as sitting in a static 5 point harness. I most definitely agree that it's important to have the lap belt in the correct position and not have a coat in the way. For adult with pre-tensioners I think it's less important to remove all upper outerwear as long as the shoulder belt is in the correct position.

If I lived in a climate where it was reasonable to remove all outerwear in the vehicle, I would do so, but I don't live in those fantasy places. ;) You often need to wear your coat here for at least a half hour until the vehicle is warm enough inside (even if you've warmed it up for 10-15 minutes prior) and even if you take it off at some point, you've got to get out of the vehicle and walk to your back cargo area or trunk (unless you've place your coat on your 2nd row passenger's heads) in -22°F and fumble with the zippers while your flesh literally freezes due to the windchill (and no I am not exaggerating). Ya, not so practical here a good chunk of the winter season.

Last edited:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm also in the school of thought that you don't actually need to fully remove bulky winter coats as adults or with older children in boosters. We live in a fairly moderate climate (PNW) and all we do is undo the front of our coats, leaving the back portion on. My kids often do this, as well--it depends on the child, though. My 6 year old has a thick Columbia ski jacket that he takes off with his booster, but my 4 year old daughter wears her Lululemon hoodie or Apres when in a booster; She takes it off when in her 5-pt. My older two kids undo their jackets and have the belt over top (no boosters) and never take them off.

Use your common sense. If it seems that the bulk is getting in the way of proper positioning, or adding so much bulk that the child/adult will be out of position or otherwise at risk...it's a bad idea. If you have a thin-medium ski jacket on just behind you, I personally think it's probably just fine.

If you live in a climate that's moderate enough that you can take your winter coat off, you probably wouldn't want to be wearing it while in the car anyways ;)

-N.

Lucy_R

Not disputing that adults should also remove bulky winter wear, but adult seat belts have pre-tensioners in newer vehicles. This tightens the belt when necessary in an accident. It's not the same as sitting in a static 5 point harness. I most definitely agree that it's important to have the lap belt in the correct position and not have a coat in the way. For adult with pre-tensioners I think it's less important to remove all upper outerwear as long as the shoulder belt is in the correct position.

If I live in a climate where it was reasonable to remove all outerwear in the vehicle, I would do so, but I don't live in those fantasy places. ;) You often need to wear your coat here for at least a half hour until the vehicle is warm enough inside (even if you've warmed it up for 10-15 minutes prior) and even if you take it off at some point, you've got to get out of the vehicle and walk to your back cargo area or trunk (unless you've place your coat on your 2nd row passenger's heads) in -22°F and fumble with the zippers while your flesh literally freezes due to the windchill (and no I am not exaggerating). Ya, not so practical here a good chunk of the winter season.
Ahhhh, that is so my life. In Sask it gets to -40 degrees(celcius)commonly, as cold as -55 with the windchill. Not that we go out on these days, but even on warmer days it's still bitterly cold. Hence why winter makes me completely insane. Lol. Every year the first day of winter jackets is the worst day of the year. On big errand days, I take their jackets on and off probably about 10 times. It's super :crying:

Twinklefae

I totally agree about taking their coats off - I searched long and for the coat DS is wearing in my signature. It's the only one I could find that was thin enough to fit under a pre-adjusted harness and warm enough to get through the winter!

He wears fleece once the weather is a bit warmer, but in January and February you need a wind breaking layer! (And I'm in NS - I've heard it's way colder out west! Brr!)

I have to take the daycare kids coats off though which is enough to make me cry just going to playgroup and back!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC