Which Booster is Taller?

Nennib

the new Parkway or the Monterey?

My 8.5 yo (will be 9 in May) shoulders are now even with the belt guide on her Parkway booster (old Parkway). She is long in the torso but thin, around 42 pounds.

So we need to get her 2 new boosters this weekend. We need high back seats because the backs are low in our cars and she will often snooze during long travel.

I am tossing around the above 2 seats, I figure she will be in her booster for 2-3 more years. If there is another seat that would work better, I am open to suggestions. Seat will eventually be passed down to younger sister.

Nenni

ADS

Maedze

I think the Parkway is taller; however, if you don't have head rests in your vehicle, I would buy a Britax Frontier. It's more expensive, but it adjusts to the tallest high back booster available, and can easily fit most small women.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I totally agree with this. My 5'2" 12 year old still has a couple inches to grow in the Frontier. The regular Frontier is on clearance pricing now, it may go down in price quite a bit more if the Frontier 85 is popular, so you can maybe get it well under $200. If you need something right now, maybe get a Parkway SG while you wait for the price to drop...?
Just brainstorming! :twocents::)

MomToEliEm

From the carseat measurements/data spreadsheets, it shows the new parkway and the monterey to have identical top belt guide slots (21.5"). The old parkway shows as 21.25" as the top belt guide. The booster measurements are not yet entered on the spreadsheet for the frontier, but I recall them being pretty tall compared to the other boosters.

Maedze

I think a Car Seat Blog entry showed the PWSG to be a hair higher, but I could be imagining things. Maybe someone else wants to look the blog up ? :p

Nennib

Okay is the old Parkway measures at 21.25 inches, I must be doing something wrong. I can't get the back to go up any higher, but I am pretty sure her torso is only 18.5-19 inches.

So, if it is true and she does have a torso closer to 20.5 inches or so, than the new Parkway and the Monterey will be of no use to me.

I think I better stop at the SafetyStore after work with her and play with the seats.

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
From lowest to highest - Monterey, old Parkway and then new Parkway SG. I have some crappy pictures when I tried comparing the 3 last summer. I'll load them up now and post later.

ETA: Adding pics. I didn't have a tape measure with me and the carseat aisle was narrow and I didn't want people to start evicting me from this baby boutique, so these are the quality you get :)

Old Parkway (L), Monterey (M), New Parkway SG (R)
P1030488.JPG

Old Britax Parkway (L) and 2009 Sunshine Kids Monterey (R) I tried taking the pic as level to the guide and as centre as possible
P1030484.JPG

2009 Sunshine Kids Monterey (L) and Britax Parkway SG (R)
P1030489.JPG

And yes, the PWSG is taller than the old PW

mommycat

Frontier XT (Canadian FR85) is showing on britax.ca as a seated shoulder height of 24.5". The old Frontier and the PWSG(with backrest) are both listed at 21.5".

Nennib

Okay, I found two more notches on the headrest. I was having an issue it would seem because of the ceiling height in our vehicle. I was able to move the seat up on notch but just barely. The headrest is now touching the side part of the ceiling (where the wall/ceiling of the vehicle rounds at the corner). We won't be able to move the headrest up to the next notch.
Everything should be okay in dh's car, which we don't use that often. But I can forsee a problem down the road in my Xterra. Oh well, cross that bridge when we get there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC