RA Rear Facing Tether ??

U

Unregistered

I feel a little stupid asking this question, mainly because I am going to be taking the CPS technician training class next month. I have read tons of information on rear facing tethers and where it is acceptable to anchor them, but I still have a question:

I have a 2001 Intrepid, and there is a bar (about 3" diamater) attached to the underside of the back seat. Would it be acceptable to attach the tether to this bar? I currently have it anchored towards the passenger seat, and the seat is installed in the center. Any input would be appriciated!

Thanks!

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hmmm, I think so. As long as the bar is welded or bolted to the frame of the car, then you should be OK. You just don't want to attach the tether to a bar that will move with the seat, i.e. the bar that moves the vehicle seat forward and backward.

U

Unregistered

I don't think that it is actually attached the the frame of the car, but just to the seat. The car isn't here right now, but I think that it may be part of the seat frame. It is a bench seat and doesn't move. Is the fact that it is attached underneath the seat that it is installed on dangerous? I know that you can attach the anchor underneath a seat in a minivan etc. as long as it is not a moving part (among other things).

Just wanted to provide more information, in case it changes any ones advice. Thanks so much for the quick response!!

U

Unregistered

Nevermind!!

Bad idea! I just pulled super hard on my seat and it came up. Not a secure point. Just wanted everyone who looks at this to know.

Thanks for the help.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC