Questions about installing a carseat

sholoulou

Ok I have been on this site awhile and should know this by now but I want to double check I am doing this correctly.

Seat is a marathon ff Isuzu Trooper lap belt in the center

If the seat buckle hits the wrong part of the seat I can twist the buckle stalk how many times and it be safe? I reread the user guide and it does not mention anything about twisting the belt stalk... it also does not mention using a locking clip when using a lap belt.

I have the seat tight and I use an old fashioned locking clip after it is buckled. sunshine kids makes a locking clip named Super Lock. It that one better or is the old fashined lock just as good? It using a locking clip ok?

Thanks

ADS

Evolily

Can't use locking clips on lap only belts. It's a prepositioner, not designed to hold the belt in a crash. You should have locking latch plates or a switchable retractor in that position. My guess is you have latchplates, and because of how the latchplate is hitting the belt path it is not locking. This is NOT a safe way to travel and the belt is not secured. In an accident it is likely that locking clip will just pop off, and the seat would not be secured at all.

You can twist down the belt stalk a full three 360 rotations.

sholoulou

Thank you!!! OMG I have been using that locking clip!

I have no idea if I have locking latch plates or a switchable retractor. I will have to google it to find out what that is :-/

sholoulou

Ok another question...
My ds is in a Regent shoulder/lap belt. After securing the seat should I use a locking clip or no locking clip on the seatbelt? If so, should the locking clip slip up and down the seltbelt or stay put? Do you ever use a locking clip or no?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
You have switchable retractors if your car is 1996 or newer, in which case no you don't need a locking clip.

Qarin

What year is the Trooper?

If the seatbelt is a lap/shoulder belt and does not have a way to lock on its own for installing car seats, and it has a sliding latchplate, then a locking clip may be appropriate. When it's installed, it locks the belt, and so should absolutely stay put, and keep the seat installed tightly. If your car is a 1996 or newer, then the belts lock in some way. Do you have the manual for your vehicle?

sholoulou

It is a 1997
I no longer have the manual :(

I had a rock solid install then I had to move it. In fact you guys helped me the last time... oh me! I am going to go out and double check and correct both seats tomorrow. When I buckled it in again I forgot how I did it. I have only buckled it in once and then left it. The belt path is correct. I pulled on the belt until I couldn't pull anymore :) and I could hear the clicks of the shoulder part of the belt lock. I then put my knee in the seat to make sure there was no more slack and heard a couple of more clicks. I am guessing I will not need a locking clip on the Regent.

Can't believe I have been using that locking clip on the marathon! ugh! I can not WAIT to get a new car! lol with latches, and ALL lap/shoulder belts :)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Even with latch, you need to know how to do a seat belt install. Latch has a weight limit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC