Best convertible for baby w/ long torso?

essnce629

DS2 was 22" at birth and needed to be on the 2nd slots of the Keyfit30 from day 1. He's now almost 9 months old, 18lbs, and is about to outgrow the Keyfit any moment (has about a 1/2" of torso growth left). He was 29 1/2" long at his 8 month check-up, which is how tall DS1 was at a year old. He's been on the 3rd slots of the Keyfit for about 2 months now.

I was planning on getting the TFP seat, but now I'm not sure. I tried him out in it and I'm afraid he'll outgrow it before some of the other seats. His head was even with the red line on the the seat (where the headrest connects) about a month ago. Does anyone know how tall the TFP's top slots are? I tried him out in a Radian 80SL, CA, and Britax BV today. He had about 6" of torso growth in both the Radian and CA, but only about 4" in the Britax. DS1 who is 6 1/2 years old, 48", and 52lbs also sat in the seats and his shoulders were just about even with the top slots in both the CA and Radian (he was actually a smidge below the Radian slots) so I'm thinking DS2 would fit in those two for the longest-- till he's five I hope. DS1 outgrew his BV before 5 so I'm not even looking at any of the Britax seats. I think DS2 will be a lot taller and slightly thinner than DS1. I have a lot of males in my family who are 6'2-6'5 tall. I asked DS1 which seat was most comfortable and he liked the Radian best, so I think I'd go with the Radian xtsl if I go with one. I wish I could try DS1 out in the TFP to see how he fits in it (if he's outgrown it or not), but there's none around locally. Where do the TFP top slots measure in comparison to the Britax seats, Radian, and CA? And does the Radian have good rear-facing leg room? I know it's always brought up how the TF has awesome rf'ing legroom.

Last edited:
ADS

armywife12

The tfp is actually a great seat for long torsoed children. Top slots are around 17-17.5 inches and that is about the same as the ca and Radian. The britax seats are around 16.5 inches. We have the regular true fit and the xtsl and Caleb has about the same amount of room above his head in both seats. We like the xtsl mire though because of the higher rf weight limit that my son needs.

Pixels

The TF has a slightly taller shell than the Radian. The Radian has slightly higher top slots. The Complete Air has a 40 inch rear facing height limit.

I think both the TF and Radian have great legroom, but the Radian is a bit better. They both have deep seats, but the higher sides of the TF keep the legs inside the shell. The low side of the Radian allow the child to throw their legs over the side, so it gives more options.

essnce629

They both have deep seats, but the higher sides of the TF keep the legs inside the shell. The low side of the Radian allow the child to throw their legs over the side, so it gives more options.

Would it be safer in a crash to have the legs inside the shell if the child is outboard? Like in a side impact crash, would the legs get all smashed if they were hanging sideways off the Radian? I have a Mazda5 with two captains chairs, so DS2 is basically outboard. DS1 hangs his legs off the side of his Regent and I always tell him to put them back in front of him since it bothers me having them in the door path.

I looks like I'm going to have to hunt down a TFP to see IRL again to try DS1 out in to try and gauge how much growing room DS2 would have. Anyone know where I can find a TF in Los Angeles?

Pixels

I suppose there may be a theoretical risk to having the legs hanging over the side in a side impact. Honestly, it's not something that worries me one bit.

I can't emphasize enough, that rear facing is safer for the child overall, and safer for their legs. Children experience more leg injuries when they are turned forward facing, so if you are concerned about leg injuries, keep them RFing as long as possible.

essnce629

WHat vehicle will this be going in? You may want to find out if a rf radian will even fit well in your vehicle first.

I have a Mazda5 and he'd be in the 2nd row captain's chair.

And I definately plan to keep him rf'ing as long as possible. Conner was rf'ing till he turned 33lbs at 2 1/2 years old (older Britax RA).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC