Hiya Wise Moms (and Dads...)- crotch strap question

midwestmeg

So, my BIL just brought me his son's car seat. It is a 2005 (I believe) Cosco Alpha Omega (not the Elite, but it is a three in one).

His son removed :eek: the cover on the buckle on the crotch strap. Everything still buckles just fine, but it's really easy for the darling child to release himself from the seat- and totally unsafe!

I looked briefly at the seat and my question is- can you remove the crotch strap from that thing?!! :confused:

I thought I'd just find a new crotch strap and buckle for the seat.

Of course, it occurs to me that it might be time for kiddo to move to a different seat anyway, but I checked him out this fall and it was still fitting him fine. If he can use this seat for another year or two they will probably just go to a high backed booster.

They are tightwads, but if I can't figure out how to replace this crotch strap/buckle, maybe it's time for them to consider a Nautilus!!

It might be a hard sell though, BIL HATES the Graco Car-go SIL uses in her car b/c the straps are so crappy to adjust. Kudos to him for tightening the kid every time he puts him in the seat.... :love: I don't have that issue with my Nautilus, does anyone else?

I have texted BIL for the DOM and product number so I can get the manual from the Cosco site.

Advice? Ideas?

TIA. Meg

PS: BIL said 'maybe your mommy friends can help me with this....' he has no idea I have such a wise group of 'mommy friends' at my fingertips!! :)

ADS

Maedze

How old is the child who rides in the seat? The old style AOE did not have a useable top harness position. The top head rest position was for booster use only and can NOT be used with the harness. The seat was outgrown as a harnessed seat at the second-to-top headrest position.

Can you clarify what you mean about removing the cover on the buckle? Do you mean he removed the plastic casing? :confused:

midwestmeg

Morning!

The child is 3 1/2, will be 4 this June. ;) Believe it or not, he still has two strap slots to go... but I was just reading that the top slot is unusable?! Am I getting that right? Why on earth would their be a strap slot that couldn't be used? :confused:

SIL & BIL's kids always make it a lot longer in seats my kids grow right out of- apparently they do not have much in the way of torso! lol. I do believe the seat fits him properly, but I will check that out before I go looking too much further to fix this seat.

Yes, I am talking about the plastic casing around the buckle... I posted late last night and couldn't find my words very well. :eek:

Maedze

If the plastic casing around the buckle has been removed, the seat is broken. I would dispose of it at the earliest opportunity and replace it.

Dorel redesigned in the AOE two years ago. The top headrest position is now reinforced for harness use, giving the seat 17" top harness position and making it a very decent convertible.

In the seat he's in, once he's dead even with the second-to-top, he's outgrown it, but as I said, as a technician if I saw this seat at a checkpoint, I would confiscate it, destroy it, and replace it.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My Nautilus is the easiest-to-adjust seat I've ever owned. It also seats the only child in my vehicle who can buckle himself (due to the seats, not the children.) We always just let it way out, he buckles, and I give the strap a quick yank. Unbelievable how amazingly easily it tightens. If ease of use, loosening, and tightening is what dad is looking for, I'd highly recommend it. And as long as they'll harness him 'til he outgrows it, it will likely (thought not definitely) work well as a booster, so it sounds like it would be a good choice.

midwestmeg

Okay, thanks. I guess that answers the question that getting a new buckle isn't an option? It didn't seem like that part was removable, though I know it is in other seats.

I was thinking that replacing this seat might be the best option, but I wanted to see if that was the only option or not. ;)

midwestmeg

My Nautilus is the easiest-to-adjust seat I've ever owned. It also seats the only child in my vehicle who can buckle himself (due to the seats, not the children.) We always just let it way out, he buckles, and I give the strap a quick yank. Unbelievable how amazingly easily it tightens. If ease of use, loosening, and tightening is what dad is looking for, I'd highly recommend it. And as long as they'll harness him 'til he outgrows it, it will likely (thought not definitely) work well as a booster, so it sounds like it would be a good choice.

I think so too, thanks Carrie. :love:

Best price still at Walmart?!!

Maedze

Okay, thanks. I guess that answers the question that getting a new buckle isn't an option? It didn't seem like that part was removable, though I know it is in other seats.

I was thinking that replacing this seat might be the best option, but I wanted to see if that was the only option or not. ;)

I didn't catch that question. The buckle may be replaceable; you'll have to call Dorel and ask (have the model number ready).

midwestmeg

Thank you, we are working on that angle. I asked BIL for the model #, he couldn't find it, so he called the 800 number. Dorel asked him to send three photos of the seat in, so we'll see what happens next?!! Maybe total seat replacement?! :thumbsup:

I might have him talked into a new seat anyway, but we'll see... my BIL doesn't like spending $$ that way- but they do have a lovely landscaped yard and play area; my kids play on a dirt pile but ride in new carseats! :lol

mommy-medic

If you have a khols card and catch them at the right time (they keep selling out then restocking) you can get the nautilus for $114 - check the sales/deals thread for the discount code (it's 30% off).

Target had the Nauti for $155 but you get a $20 target giftcard at checkout, making your total $135.

BRU is having their great trade in event till the 26th. You can trade the old nasty broken seat to be destroyed and will get a coupon for 25% off one baby gear item (must be purchased same day). The nautis at BRU are more expensive and the price is around $145 after discount.

Chameleon

It IS a replaceable part, just call and order one. Make sure you read the manual when putting the new one in, it can be tricky.

midwestmeg

If you have a khols card and catch them at the right time (they keep selling out then restocking) you can get the nautilus for $114 - check the sales/deals thread for the discount code (it's 30% off).

Target had the Nauti for $155 but you get a $20 target giftcard at checkout, making your total $135.

BRU is having their great trade in event till the 26th. You can trade the old nasty broken seat to be destroyed and will get a coupon for 25% off one baby gear item (must be purchased same day). The nautis at BRU are more expensive and the price is around $145 after discount.

wow you are awesome- thank you!!! Why do you get a Target giftcard at checkout?! Do I need to do/say anything?

I think I might try to get BIL to go for the BRU trade in. I should make sure it's happening in my town.

okay so you know who *really* wants a new carseat, don't you?!! I DO! :) I can't wait to get a Nauti for DS; I am thinking I might get the Nauti Elite, if I can find one with tan to match the other seats in my van.

It IS a replaceable part, just call and order one. Make sure you read the manual when putting the new one in, it can be tricky.

Thank you- we'll see what Dorel says today to BIL. Either way we have to figure out the model to get the manual. I swear it should be right on that carseat! I'll go over and look this afternoon.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Dorel puts the model number on a sticker on the side of the seat...normally down near the seating area(not up towards the head). It's not a separate sticker either.

Target had that deal a few weeks ago...I didn't know it was still going on.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC