Crotch Strap on Nautilus

jrmo

We just ordered a Nautilus for my DD 3.5 (37lbs, 41in). She is about 1/4 inch below the top slots on her Scenera, which we use as a spare seat in her father's car.
AFTER having ordered this Nautilus, I decided it would be good to test fit her in my inlaws'. She is RIGHT at the crotch strap... Last I had heard, once they pass that, they have to use it in booster mode only. Is this still the story, because if so, we would be wasting our money at this point.
Am I measuring incorrectly, or is this about the size kids outgrow this harness?
I know I'll be shot on site for even suggesting this, but we've talked about keeping her in the Scenera until it's truly outgrown (probably at least until her 4th bday since she JUST had a growth spurt) and then ordering her a Monterey to begin booster training. Keep in mind, she rides in DH's car once every month or two. Other suggestions? Frontier is out. Too expensive, and not feeling the Britax love right now.

ADS

Qarin

At or somewht over the crotch strap is exactly right for the Nautilus. I'm going to steal wendytthomas's visual aid... the X is the child facing to the right, the lines are the crotch strap:

X\ --- strap is too far out, move it to closer slot
X| --- fine
X/ --- fine
X| --- bones of the child are on the crotch strap. crotch strap is outgrown.

Children grow very slowly in the crotch-depth dimension- your child is fine in the Nautilus for quite a while to come.

The Monterey, by the way, is very wide, and many have seen a problem with the shoulder belt landing too wide on a smaller child's shoulder, with too much space for the child to lean away from it bringing it completely off the shoulder. Neither of my children fits well in the Monterey because of this- great lapbelt fit, borderline to unacceptable shoulder belt fit.

Pixels

Graco has confirmed that once the child is on the outer crotch strap, it doesn't matter how far under the child the strap is.

The instructions for the Nautilus indicate that the strap should be in front of or even with the child, not under the child. So Qarin's example of X/ would actually be under the child, and the strap should be moved out if possible. X\ is fine.

Qarin

The whole problem has been with the semantics of "in front of" and "not under"- a person slopes forward from the part of him which touches the seat he is sitting on, so the question has been, does the strap slot need to be "in front of" the part that is touching the seat, or does it need to be "in front of" the most forward part of the crotch. Wendy's diagram, which I used, is saying that it needs to be "in front of" the part that is touching, and that if it is out "in front of" the most forward part of the crotch, then that's too far forward of the child.

jrmo

So confused. I know she'll grow slowly, but if she's right at/JUST behind the strap now, should we skip the Nautilus for something else?

Qarin

From what you describe, she is absolutely fine in the Nautilus, it will last her very well.

My 47", 50lb DD has been "at/JUST behind the strap" since we bought the seat two years ago (she was ~43" and 40lbs), and still is.

armywife12

The crotch strap thing is confusing for me too but it sounds like your dd would have many yrs left in the nautilus. If you are unsure about it though, you could always return it and get the evenflo maestro. You'll have to get a high back booster when the harness Is outgrown but the maestro is only $80 including tax and has top slots very comparable to the nautilus and has more crotch strap room. My 2.5 yr old just got this seat for grandmas car and fits wonderfully in it. He is 37lbs, 39 inches and has a torso around 15 inches. He is still behind the first crotch strap position and is slightly above the second harness slot. I think its a great alternative to the nautilus.

Evolily

Boys tend to have the crotch strap issues :rolleyes: .

There are two straps positions. Let's call them position 1 (slot closest to the body) and position 2 (slot farthest from the body).

You use position 1 only if the child is at or behind the slot. If they go over the slot, you change to position 2.

You use position 2 until the seat is outgrown by height or weight*.

*Of course, there may be exceptions, like if the entire strap is under your child, it is interfering with how the buckle sits, etc. However graco has pretty clearly stated that sitting on the strap is fine, and it is very difficult to imagine a child sitting that far on the strap, still meeting the weight limits, AND being able to secure the harness.

jrmo

Ok, thanks all for the clarification! We'll go ahead and get the Nautilus and test it out since we got a major steal on it. $120! (Back ordered on Target, called to complain about the projected 8 week delay when it said "in stock") :)

Zappa

Thanks for this post. I recently bought two GN's for my DD, one for Grandma's car and one for DH's truck, and was concerned about the crotch strap placement as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC