Maclaren Volo?

TnT's Mom

Hi all...I am looking to get another lightweight travel type stroller for my son (he is 2)...we currently have a Combi City Savvy one that we used for our older son now 6 when we traveled and have been using as our quick in and out of places stroller for our little guy (who isn't so little at about 35 pounds!). Any opinions on the Volo? It looks to have a higher weight limit then the Combi (which has been a great stroller for us but is just getting a bit wobbly and beat up from being gate checked at the airports) and also the handles seem a bit higher on the Volo which would be nice for my 6'1" dh. The 2006 model is on sale a lot of places with free shipping since the 2007 model is out. I would love to hear from anyone who has used this stroller which I guess is technically an umbrella stroller. Is it really easy to close? I love the ease of closing the Combi but am tired of the bar across the front of the seat and when you remove it I feel like the metal where it clips back in is too rough to be exposed to curious little fingers.

Thanks so much for any thoughts and opinions!

ADS

LuvBug

do you have a target or BRU/TRU locally? They should have some instock that you could play with.

I played with it at my local target and liked it alot, almost bought it... but I got online and researched first and found out that there are other Mac models that are even bigger... and I needed a new stroller because DS is too big overall for his current. So the bigger the better. I got a mac vogue which is now the techno classic, but it is pricey new.

Are you interested in a reclining model? I personally would feel the fabric of the vogue before I bought it, that was one thing that turned me off to it. It was like plastic mesh, it was interesting...

twokidstwodogs

I have a Triumph, which is a lot like the Volo, except it has a recline option and a different fabric. I *love* it. It's actually our main stroller, replacing our old Combi Ultrasavvy. I liked the Combi, but the Triumph is much nicer. The thing turns on a dime and is narrow enough to fit between clothing racks, etc. It's also much easier for my 6'2" husband to push. (He used to get annoyed at the Combi because he was always kicking the back of it as he walked.) I have pushed my older daughter in it, and found it quite easy to maneuver--even with a 45 lb+ kid in it.)

I bought the Triumph instead of the Volo mostly because DD#2 was too young to sit properly in the Volo when I bought it. But I also didn't like the Volo's mesh fabric, nor did I like the way that a child sort of hunches forward when she sits in it. That being said, most people I know with a Volo love it. Folding the Triumph is extremely easy. You can certainly do it one-handed. I'm sure that the Volo's fold mechanism is similar. The Volo is also a couple pounds lighter and, of course, cheaper.

Edited to add: The Triumph is a lot easier to fold than the Ultrasavvy I had.

tchrgrrl

We LOVE our Volo. We got a similar deal in 2004 - it was a 2003 model on sale with free shipping and we use it all the time. My 2 year old (28 pounds) is comfy in it and even my 46 pound 4 year old is comfortable and easy to push in it. We are actually considering getting a new one so we can have a sunshade (the 2003 didn't come with it) and so I can have a new nifty color but honestly, even after tons of hard use for 3 years it is still in excellent shape.

TnT's Mom

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I was wondering about the fabric...I wonder if it would feel weird on his skin if he is in shorts? They did have an accessory kit that came with a carry bag and some sort of seat insert that made it more padded but probably if I ended up doing that I should just maybe consider the Triumph? I am conflicted about having recline...the Combi I have does have it to a certain degree but we haven't used it with our little guy as of yet. He is a pretty big 2 year old 35 pounds, 36-37 inches tall. Actually you don't think he would be too tall for it do you?

My friends think I am crazy to be considering a new stroller since he is 2 and we have the Combi but it is so wobbly, doesn't turn as nicely as it did, dh does kick the back of the wheels and have to hunch over when he pushes it and when ds slides his feet down off the footrest he flips the swivel locks down and then I really can't turn it :)!. To me 2 is not too old to have an option of a stroller especially when traveling!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and opinions! This board is so helpful!

LuvBug

I know personally we would have issues with the fabric, but it wasnt *awful*.
No he wouldnt be too tall, my 41" 3.5yo(with a long torso ;) ) still fit in the volo fine when we tried it. In another year he might be getting too big, which is why we went for an even bigger one. We use the stroller so much, I figure DS will still be in one until he is 5 or just cant fit in any other stroller lol! We use it at places like the museum and discovery zone when we go, places where he is there to run around but sometimes needs a break while we walk and look. I wanted an umbrella fold stroller to replace him umbrella stroller because that is what we use at those places. When he is not in it I fold it up and push it with 1 hand like a cane. It makes it easier to interact and keep after him without some huge 4 wheeled thing infront of me knocking people over lol!

The Macs are definitely taller in the handles, and after playing with a few different versions in real life I noticed the higher up in model you go the higher the handles get, which is another reason I leaned towards a higher model than the volo. We are all tall, the shortest person who pushes DS is 5'10, and it was killing us with his old umbrella... but not this stroller!(and even the volo had nice handles, but in our family you can never be too tall ;) )

See if you can find a store locally that carries them(even if it isnt one you were considering). That way you can see it in person and play with it. Check out target, babiesRus and toysRus, specialty baby stores, stores like TJ Maxx and Ross and such... You dont have to buy from there, just get an idea what they are like.
There was a Mac Triumph at my TJ Maxx a week or so ago for $70, so be sure to check. Oh and Ive heard costco has them from time to time too.

ETA: I dont know if this will be of any help, but here is a comparison of the volo and vogue http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL493/2241001/9131735/230119745.jpg it was sent to me by a member of strollerswap when I was trying to decide.

You can also check out strollerswap for opinions and deals, they are a wonderful group! That is where I got my vogue. it is groups.yahoo.com/groups/strollerswap

Last edited:

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have Volos for my 3 year old and my 1 year old. They're our primary singles (we also have an MBUD as a double that we use.) I LOVE them. I know recline seems like it might be an issue, but the seat fabric sits differently on the Volo versus the Triumph. The Triumph has a very upright seat to it, and the Volo has a more hammock-style seat. When my kids fall asleep in the Volo, they just put their heads to the side and they're comfortable. Sometimes I'll slip a blanket inbetween their heads and the frames.

I'm 5'9" but I have a really long stride. Maclarens are almost the only strollers I don't kick.

The fabric on the Volo doesn't bother us at all. I was a little skeptical at first, but the mesh is really small and so you barely even notice it. I've never once used the seat liner from my accessory pack--but it does sound like you might use the NEW (for 2006+) stroller bag. You can slip your Volo (a Triumph fits in this bag too) into the bag when you gate check it at the airport. It's pretty handy. I sold mine, and I'm regretting it since we're getting on a plane in 10 days!

The Triumph and the Volo use the exact same frame, so it's a tough decision!

-N.

TnT's Mom

Now I do have the itch to go play with one and I do have a BRU about 45 min away and a Target and TJ Maxx about the same distance as well...I wish I could get to one of them tomorrow but I volunteer in my older son's class on Tuesday's and amazingly enough we just might get some snow in Massachusetts on Wednesday so possibly no traveling to look at strollers that day :)! Babystyle has the 2006 one on sale for I think $80 with free shipping for this week only...the bummer thing about their selection is they don't have the orange which I really liked but they do have the turquoise which is nice too...I asked dh if he thought it was too "girly"..he said no but looked tentative, what do you all think?

Oh and I like that idea about folding it up and pushing it around like that when he isn't in it....very clever and definitely would make for happier people in our general vicintiy if I wasn't plowing them down with my stroller as I try to keep up with a 2 year old and a 6 year old:)!

How about the basket underneath? On our Combi it is more like a pouch, elasticized at the top and not the easiest put things in and if you stuff too much in it it sort of bunches up his sitting area if that makes sense.

LuvBug

I edited my above post with a photo and link.

You know I forgot to even look at the basket on the volo or triumph. Im not a basket user though. On my vogue the basket is nice. It is actually like a basket and not like a pouch. Ill see if I can find a photo of it. It isnt as big as in a mid-full size stroller, but most umbrella folds dont have a basket anyway... or very little of one.

ETA: here is a photo from an ebay auction, you can kinda see the basket through the mesh lol! http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/8a/d3/eff5_1.JPG
It too is a mesh, but soft and thin. You can probably fit the average diaper bag under it, or some random things(Im not a basket user so Im not sure what goes in the basket lol!)

Oh! here is a better ebay photo of the vogue basket http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/jenmisey/100_4613.JPG=600

Last edited:

southpawboston

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I was wondering about the fabric...I wonder if it would feel weird on his skin if he is in shorts? They did have an accessory kit that came with a carry bag and some sort of seat insert that made it more padded but probably if I ended up doing that I should just maybe consider the Triumph?

the accessory kit also includes a sunshade (and basket?) and basically turns the volo into a triumph, plus also adds the carry bag. except that the volo seat won't recline.

twokidstwodogs

I don't know how much the Savvy's basket is like the Ultrasavvy's, but I find the Triumph's basket much easier to use than the Ultrasavvy's. You don't have to stretch out the sides to get anything in. Still, the basket is small. I shove jackets and such in there, but I usually end up hanging my diaper bag over the handles (though tipping is an issue if you don't remember to take the bag off before getting the kiddo out). One thing that I like about the Triumph is that because the back of the seat moves, it's pretty easy to access the basket just by pushing the seat back forward a bit. I do this even while DD is in the stroller; she doesn't mind. This might be tougher in the Volo. On the other hand, the Triumph is heavier by a pound or two. If you can try before buy, I'd do it.

tchrgrrl

Because the Volo is mesh, I can move the seat/baby/kid to access the basket if necessary - and really it is only necessary if I am trying to stuff something big in there LOL. I can fit a couple of cloth diapers, wipes, change of pants/underwear for DS, waters for the family, snacks and a couple of books in the basket - I could fit my wallet, cell, keys, etc but I prefer to just throw my purse on the handles so I have easier access.

southpawboston

One thing that I like about the Triumph is that because the back of the seat moves, it's pretty easy to access the basket just by pushing the seat back forward a bit. I do this even while DD is in the stroller; she doesn't mind. This might be tougher in the Volo. On the other hand, the Triumph is heavier by a pound or two. If you can try before buy, I'd do it.

the triumph is 12 lbs whereas the volo is 9 lbs. most of that difference is in the basket, seat padding, and sunshade.

Lilsid

We had a Combi City Savvy Too. I thought it was the best stroller in the world until My 2 year old DD hit about 30 lbs and I had a terrible time getting it to steer and it also felt wobbly.

I decided to go with the Volo since my child was past the infant stage. I LOVE it the Volo is great its so light weight it folds faster and easier than the Combi. The fabric has never bothered my DD even in the summer in Scottsdale AZ in our extreme heat, if any thing it helped since my DD could get some airflow. Mine is a 2005 in like a hot pink, but it came with the canopy and the basket underneath which I can fit more in than the Combi. It’s also easier to buckle the belts and wash than the combi.

I never tried the Volo I just bought it and I love it so much for running around.

This is the one I got http://www.specialtybaby.com/mavost20maho.html

bestjob-mommy

If you have a Costco store nearby, check for volo stroller on clearance for $50! I was very happy to pick one up that cheap. Its a nice stroller.

TnT's Mom

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions on the Volo! I think I am going to call the Costco closest to my house tomorrow (it's about an hour away and with all the snow we are now getting I don't want to drive there for nothing!) and see if they have any and if not I think I am just going to order the one on clearance at Babystyle...I think I am going to get the turquoise if I order it from there...I don't think my little guy will mind the color :)!

Oh one more question, actually...the Combi needs two hands to close...it has these little lever/pull type things on each side of the handle... does the Volo close from the bottom with your foot like a typical umbrella stroller?

Thanks again!

LuvBug

The mac only needs 1 hand, but it needs a foot too. You step on this bar that sticks out to the side about an inch or so; and pull up on this loop that is on the back at the X between the legs.

Wow that was really untechnical sounding lol! Anyway it is pretty simple, but not as easy as my babytrend umbrella was(push lever over with foot while you bring your foot up against the bar above the lever and it collapsed).

twokidstwodogs

Hmm, the Volo and Triumph must fold differently. With the Triumph, you pull up on something with your foot and then step on a little pedal before pushing it to the ground. You don't pull on anything with your hand. It's definitely a one-hand fold; I have done it many times while holding a baby in the other arm.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Volo and the Triumph do actually fold the same--they're even the same frame. The thing you CAN pull up on with the Volo is actually the carry strap. The other Macs have carry handles instead of straps, so there's nothing attached with a hook on the top of the black piece you push up with your toe. You can push the black piece up with your toe on the Volo, as well, but pulling the strap is usually a bit easier :)

-N.

LuvBug

oh ok, I must have been doing it backwards, I pushed on the pedal and pulled up on the loop the carry strap connects to.

I dont have either, just played with them a bunch, I ended up with a vogue and it folds a little different.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC