Coccoro Install for Newborn in Civic

natysr

We got the Coccoro and Coccoro Flash for Trevor. Now we are all set for carseats for him.

I'm pretty sure the Coccoro will reside in our Honda Civic Hybrid. DH uses that car most of the time these days, and he doesn't like the continuous harness of the True Fit.

I know the True Fit fits great in the Honda. I need to test an install rearfacing for newborn in our Pathfinder, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Coccoro rearfacing for a newborn in our Civic.

I find it amusing that the two seats I chose for Trevor have opposite visual deceptions on the angle for a newborn install.

While the True Fit Premeir appears overreclined, the Coccoro appears too upright for a newborn. But the line is level with the ground. I double checked that. It is interesting the way the infant padding creates the 45 degree angle for the baby.

793370362_uts6h-M.jpg

793370651_5FuoM-M.jpg

The install wasn't bad. It felt a bit awkward to me, because I am used to installing seats by locking the seatbelt and having it ratchet back on me. Since you don't lock the seatbelt for the Coccoro, I felt I needed a couple of more hands to slide the blue locking clip down, as I compressed the carseat into the car. I will need to set aside time to practice the install several times. I'm sure I'll develope a quicker technique. Especially since we got the flash stroller. I'll want to be sure I can get a great install, even if baby is in the seat.

ADS

oxeye

Aww, I wish I'd had a CCO when DS was itty bitty.

And yeah the angle is deceiving! When I brought my CCO to do test installs for my sister's new baby, my BIL was worried about the angle for a newborn (I didn't have the infant padding with me to show how it changes the angle). I was very proud of him that he noticed it would be a problem!

I've found the best way to install it is to stand behind and push in and down (not while pg, though!). Then I rock the seat back and forth, getting a little more slack out of the belt, push the blue clip down, and repeat as needed.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks good! :thumbsup: You'll have to show off the Flash. I might get one for a trip we're taking this summer.

You'll get more used to the install. What I usually do is put the seatbelt through the path, pull it tight enough that I can rout it around the back without the belt locking, then put the belt through the back lockoff. Then I put pressure on the seat and tug the belt next to the buckle, then kind of slide the extra through the lockoff. It's hard to explain.

InternationalMama

Especially since we got the flash stroller. I'll want to be sure I can get a great install, even if baby is in the seat.

It's such a pretty seat. :) Are you sure you'll be able to get it in and out with the baby in the seat? I've read on here that people thought uninstalling it would work, but they weren't sure you could install it with the baby in...

I'd love to hear what you think of the Coccoro Flash when you start using it. :)

NVMBR02

I love the chocolate cover! I wish I had brown/tan seats for my older kids now...

I am also interested in hearing how you like the flash stoller.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Your seat looks great! Does anyone know is it a pain to put kiddo in with the shoulder belt across the seat? My niece is expecting in June and I'm contemplating getting one of these for her. Plus, I can play with it before she gets it. :whistle:

Natalie, post us some pic's with the seat in the stroller for us.

Thanks!

Kristina

crunchierthanthou

I've found the best way to install it is to stand behind and push in and down (not while pg, though!). Then I rock the seat back and forth, getting a little more slack out of the belt, push the blue clip down, and repeat as needed.

You'll get more used to the install. What I usually do is put the seatbelt through the path, pull it tight enough that I can rout it around the back without the belt locking, then put the belt through the back lockoff. Then I put pressure on the seat and tug the belt next to the buckle, then kind of slide the extra through the lockoff. It's hard to explain.

and I just lean on it and push down with my elbows/forearms while my hands work the lock-off (that is if I'm not putting it in the center of my car which seems to require a knee :eek:). so basically- yeah, it's a little awkward. You'll find what works best for you after an install or two.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Natalie, are you using the removable lockoff in addition to the "belt guide" on the back? The Combi rep has stated that the belt guide acts as a lockoff, so you don't need to use both. I have found that the guide holds the seat super-tight, so I don't even bother with the removable one. Although I like the removable lockoff more than a traditional locking clip, it would be easier to use if I had a third hand. :)

As for getting kids in over the shoulder belt, I have never had a problem (DD is coming up on 11 months). I just plop her in over it. There's also enough slack in my belt that I can push it down out of the way, but I don't bother.

natysr

Yes, I was using the removable lock off and the belt guide. The manual made it sound like the removable lockoff was required and the belt guide was optional.

I'll play around with it, and see what works best. I did put the seat in the stroller and wheeled it across the street to where I was parked.

I'll have to take a picture of it next time I'm messing with it. It's raining now.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the manual is a little funky regarding the lockoff. I think they're clarifying some things for the next go-round.

Next time you install it, try it with just the guide and see what you think. You WILL be able to slide the belt easily in and out of the guide, which will seem worrisome. But once you have everything tightened and the belt curves around the seat, it won't budge. It's hard to explain, but it will make sense if you try it.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
To install it without needing an extra hand, push on one side of the seat (because the idea is to be able to do it with a kiddo in the seat) while you pull the seat belt tight, then push on the other side while still pulling on the belt. Then maintain tension on the belt while you use the hand that was pushing down on the seat to slide the lock off down to the latchplate.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The blue removable lockoff isn't required? Wow, I wish I'd known that... it would have made my life a lot easier yesterday, lol.

Manual definitely reads that unless you have locking latchplates, you have to use the removable lockoff. So it's removable lockoff OR blue lockoff on the back? Is there a link to that thread?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't know if it was ever addressed by Combi on a thread here. I have asked the rep about it, though, and she said that the removable lockoff is not required if you lock your belt at the retractor, and that the belt guide does act as a lockoff.

Since it's not in writing anywhere, I don't blame people for being hesitant about it. I was at first, too. But the way I see it, the whole point of lockoffs/locking clips/locking retractors is to keep a seat tight pre-crash. My Coccoros are much tighter without the removable lockoff than with it. (Using the belt guide instead.)

Carrie_R

Ah, ok -- it would require locking at the retractor, too. That would make sense.

I had all three in effect yesterday (locking "clip," lockoff, retractor locked) and it was disasterous. The belt kept ratcheting in, which made the seat too upright, AND loosened my install. So I used locking clip & lockoff. The lockoff does hold it securely enough it would probably be ok with just that, but I'm not sure I want to chance finding out. I actually didn't have too much trouble w/the blue clip, I had more issue w/the bulk of it interfering with my puzzling.

Sorry to thread-jack.

InternationalMama

I don't know if it was ever addressed by Combi on a thread here. I have asked the rep about it, though, and she said that the removable lockoff is not required if you lock your belt at the retractor, and that the belt guide does act as a lockoff.

In European seats that have a similar belt routing to the Coccoro the belt routing around the back of the seat is the only locking mechanism. You don't lock the belt at the retractor and you aren't allowed to use any other locking clip or locking mechanism (at least not with the infant seat we owned). I was so skeptical about this, but that belt routing really does act as a locking clip all by itself!

crunchierthanthou

Ah, ok -- it would require locking at the retractor, too. That would make sense.

I had all three in effect yesterday (locking "clip," lockoff, retractor locked) and it was disasterous. The belt kept ratcheting in, which made the seat too upright, AND loosened my install. So I used locking clip & lockoff. The lockoff does hold it securely enough it would probably be ok with just that, but I'm not sure I want to chance finding out. I actually didn't have too much trouble w/the blue clip, I had more issue w/the bulk of it interfering with my puzzling.

Sorry to thread-jack.

I think what she meant is you don't have to use the lock-off if you lock the retractor either - as in, another case where it isn't absolutely required. I'm with you, a locked retractor with the european routing is terrible - especially when you try to uninstall the seat. My belts aren't quite long enough to get around the back without engaging the ALR, so I generally skip it.

The manual is written in absolutes, as is often the case. It says to use the rf lock-off with shoulder belts because that will work in almost every vehicle (possibly some rare incompatibilities with ridiculously long buckle stalks). It's kind of like when manuals only talk about a 45 degree recline. Every child is safe at that angle, but we know in certain cases it can be more upright. The rf lock-off will provide a safe install in most vehicles, but utilizing other features can work in some situations as well. As LISmama said, all the methods are pre-crash. As long as the seat is staying tight (whether it's the clip-on lock off, rear belt guides, locking latchplate or ALR retractor), you're good to go.

That's per the Combi rep, who also happens to be a CPST-I and has served on the National CPS Board. So, it's not like Russ from SSK spouting whatever he thinks you want to hear. ;)

Carrie_R

I definitely get that about the pre-crash positioner. That's where my frustration with my TF installs always came in; I could get it rock-solid without the lockoffs, but the lockoffs were required (which of course messed up my install.) I did eventually get it, but that's beside the point.

Just to triple-clarify: it's okay to use a) blue locking clip, b) European method seatbelt guide on the rear, or c) locking via the belt? You can choose, as long as the belt has locked in some way?

(Mine has the clip and the guide both in use, I have no plans to move it anytime soon, but when I have to, it may make my life easier to have more choices lol.)

tl01

So when you put a baby into that seat, do you lift the baby over the shoulder belt or under it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC