Grandma looking for seat advice

momtoirs

My mom is looking for a new seat as her old one is expired. She is currently driving a 99 Corolla w/no top tethers (I think she is going to get them -- I just found out she didn't have them).

Grandkids:

#1 Age 6 3/4, Tall and big for her age -- rides in a NBB in family vehicles, frequent rider with Grandma
#2 Age 6 1/2 Probably close to 45#, 45" (close to my DS in size) rides in HBB in family vehicles, lives out of state, family usually checks/brings? booster on plane
#3 Age 5 1/2 Somewhere between 40-45# and 40-45" (my DS), primary seat is Nautilus, we live out of state, but usually bring an old Parkway and/or RSTV for flexibility in letting cousins ride together
#4 Age 4 1/2 sibling of #2, rides in ?? small?? for her age, family checks/brings? car seat on plane
#5 Age 3 (just turned), sibling of #1, also big for her age, family just bought a Nautilus, but she is complaining of it being too tight in the crotch strap, frequent rider with Grandma
#6 Age 4-5 months, rides in a Keyfit 30, lives 1-2 hours from Grandma, may be frequent rider
#7 Arriving in summer, lives 4? hours from Grandma, not sure how frequent a rider s/he will be

My mom is looking for a seat that will last her for a while and be flexible for different grandchildren, probably after they are done rearfacing. She bought a Nautilus, but is unsure about keeping it since #5 is not fitting well. #5 is in process of toilet training and may fit better once she is in underwear. We don't know. She has easy access to a small Target and Wal-Mart, but if she drives to near #6, has access to a few more stores. She is willing to order online.

I think she and I have narrowed it down to the Nautilus or the Frontier, but cost can be an issue. I think she does sometimes need to take the seat out to accommodate other needs when there are no grandchildren riding with her.

I told her I would ask to see what others here think. I have seen the Frontier in the store and have played with it once, but am not that familiar with it. I won't be headed to my hometown until summer most likely, so won't be able to help her install.

Thanks in advance!

Tina

ADS

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Honestly, I love our Frontier, but I would not want to have to move it frequently. Is this seat going to stay installed in her car most of the time? It can be tricky to install. The nice part is you can adjust the harness without having to un-install the seat.

momtoirs

Is this seat going to stay installed in her car most of the time? It can be tricky to install. The nice part is you can adjust the harness without having to un-install the seat.

I think she mentioned something in our last conversation about needing to take the seat out sometimes. I'm not sure if its something that she really has to do or if it is more for convenience reasons.

I think she would like being able to adjust without having to un-install the seat.

Tina

my2kidsSafe

I'm going to say grandma might need to different seats. I would get some sort of high back booster for the older kids and maybe a radian. My almost 6 year old still fits in the radian, as well as many newborns. I think that would be her best bet. As long as she is able to install it. I also think the safe stop would be good where she doesn't have the top tethers.

ETA - i am not a tech, just a radian lover.

momtoirs

I'm pretty sure that she is going to get the tethers retrofitted. I gave her the info on how to get the certificates to get them done with no charge from Toyota.

She sounded like she was planning on focusing on the FF/boostered kids for having a seat in her car and using the child's regular seat if they were still RF and were going to ride with her.

Thanks for the idea about a HBB and Radian, though. I'll mention it to her in case she wants to consider it.

Tina

Jonah Baby

How about having either the GN and/or some boosters available with an RSTV?

(I believe the RSTV only requires a top tether when you are using a lap-only belt, so the outboard shoulder belt positions are fine in her car weather she gets the TAs installed or not.)

mommy-medic

Though I personally don't care for them, a lot of people like having an EFTA for grandparent's vehicles because of the twisty-knob adjusters (no rethreading the harness). This would accomodate any RFer's well and usually harness most FFers till 5 or better.

Just another suggestion to throw out there...

momtoirs

Thanks for the additional ideas. I will pass them on to her.

I want to buy the new RSTV -- I wonder if she'd want to buy our old one?

The EFTA is a good idea, too. She had just sounded set on not having a RF option. Hopefully, we'll have RFing kids in the family for some time to come:)

Thanks again! I'm not sure when I will talk with her next, so I'll take any other ideas people have.

Tina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC