Ugh. I have to Ride in a 98 or 99 S-10

menfusse

with my youngest and my DH. She has a dr.'s appt that can't be missed and my Inlaws have our van. So we are taking DH's truck. There is no passenger side air bag. Would the best option be for me to ride in the center and her outboard? I am pretty sure there is a driver's side air bag. What do you guys think?

ADS

chelle80

When we have to take Chris' truck(99 dodge dakota) i always put the baby on the passenger side and i ride in the middle. When the baby seat is in the center chris says it makes him feel cramped and uncomfortable.

skaterbabs

Dh drove a '98 S-10 for years. There is a passenger side airbag, with a keyed OFF switch.
You are correct about the driver's side airbag. This is a case in which it would be safest for all of you to turn your DD FF for *just* this trip, and place her in the center. This is because she is better protected than you are b/c of the 5 point harness and there is only a lap belt in that position. Because of the lap-only belt, you would be at a significantly greater chance of injury form the airbag.

menfusse

Dh drove a '98 S-10 for years. There is a passenger side airbag, with a keyed OFF switch.
You are correct about the driver's side airbag. This is a case in which it would be safest for all of you to turn your DD FF for *just* this trip, and place her in the center. This is because she is better protected than you are b/c of the 5 point harness and there is only a lap belt in that position. Because of the lap-only belt, you would be at a significantly greater chance of injury form the airbag.
Well, maybe it is even older, because I know that there isn't an airbag. I looked and looked. So there is no worries about the airbag...I am positive on that. So, RF, outboard and me in the center is fine right? Or is it still safer to put a 17 pounder FF in the center? I hate this.

scatterbunny

I'd worry so much about being in the center in just a lapbelt. :( Tough situation, for sure. I think I'd do what Rebekah suggested, though.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Option B. Can you call a friend or a taxi and take that? Or can you go by yourself with her? Or DH alone?

Wendy

skaterbabs

No, I misread your sig. A 17 lb baby should never be FF. There is no safe way for all of you to travel in this vehicle.

Can you drive the truck and leave dh at home, or can dh take the baby to the dr by himself? Can you swap the van for the truck for the trip? Ask a friend for a ride? Call a cab? Reschedule the appointment?

chelle80

Wouldn't it actually be illegal to put the baby FF, since she is only 17 lbs? Even though there is only a lap belt in the center position, i still stick by you in the center if you can't do what wendytthomas suggested.

chelle80

No, I misread your sig. A 17 lb baby should never be FF. There is no safe way for all of you to travel in this vehicle.

Can you drive the truck and leave dh at home, or can dh take the baby to the dr by himself? Can you swap the van for the truck for the trip? Ask a friend for a ride? Call a cab? Reschedule the appointment?

LOL, we must have been posting at the same time.

skaterbabs

Yes, if you see my last post I addressed this. That center lap-only position would be an option if there were no driver's side airbag, but if there were no driver's side airbag the RF seat would be fine installed there. The airbag will intrude on that center position, so for the same reason a RF seat cannot go there, it is not safe for the OP to sit there witrh just a lap belt. With no upper body support she is at serious risk of injury from the airbag.

chelle80

Yes, if you see my last post I addressed this. That center lap-only position would be an option if there were no driver's side airbag, but if there were no driver's side airbag the RF seat would be fine installed there. The airbag will intrude on that center position, so for the same reason a RF seat cannot go there, it is not safe for the OP to sit there witrh just a lap belt. With no upper body support she is at serious risk of injury from the airbag.

Yes, i seen that, i think we were posting at the same time,lol!! I agree that there *really* is no safe way for all 3 to ride, but i also know how it is when you have a single cab truck and have an appointment you can't miss. I've BTDT. It is not a good situation to be in.

To OP - is there any way you can do anything else that PP's have said?

skaterbabs

Yep, I've been there too. Really the best situation is for one of the parents to stay home. I know in the case of a dr's appt that is difficult at best, but for safety it's necessary.

menfusse

Option B. Can you call a friend or a taxi and take that? Or can you go by yourself with her? Or DH alone?

Wendy
No, no taxi's here...we live in the boonies. No friends either. I am not originally from here so all of my friends are back home :(. The inlaws have the van out of town until Friday, so no switchy.

So my options are to go alone...which isn't exactly an easy thing to do with her for a whole host of reasons. Or risk myself and sit in the center position. She is fine RF outboard though, as there is no airbag. I wondered if you missed her weight in the sig. I guess I have some thinking to do.

What about this: My dad has a truck...yes another one. It's a toyota tacoma. An older one with no passenger airbag. It has seats in the back. They are sort of like jump seats, but they flip down from the back instead of the side and have shoulder/lap belts. I don't think I can or should put her seat back there, but I could sit back there behind her RF in the front outboard. Maybe he would take pity on me and let us use it for the day?

chelle80

No, no taxi's here...we live in the boonies. No friends either. I am not originally from here so all of my friends are back home :(. The inlaws have the van out of town until Friday, so no switchy.

So my options are to go alone...which isn't exactly an easy thing to do with her for a whole host of reasons. Or risk myself and sit in the center position. She is fine RF outboard though, as there is no airbag. I wondered if you missed her weight in the sig. I guess I have some thinking to do.

What about this: My dad has a truck...yes another one. It's a toyota tacoma. An older one with no passenger airbag. It has seats in the back. They are sort of like jump seats, but they flip down from the back instead of the side and have shoulder/lap belts. I don't think I can or should put her seat back there, but I could sit back there behind her RF in the front outboard. Maybe he would take pity on me and let us use it for the day?

I'm right there with ya, i live in the boonies too!! I know this is a very unpopular answer but if you can't borrow the other truck i would still put her RF outboard and you center, even though it is putting you at a huge risk.

If I understand right the seats in the tacoma flip down and you sit FF on them, however they are only like a foot wide from front to back?? If thats the case then i think that it would be ok for you to sit back there,but i don't think her seat can go back there though because more than 20% of her seat would be off the seat.

menfusse

I'm right there with ya, i live in the boonies too!! I know this is a very unpopular answer but if you can't borrow the other truck i would still put her RF outboard and you center, even though it is putting you at a huge risk.

If I understand right the seats in the tacoma flip down and you sit FF on them, however they are only like a foot wide from front to back?? If thats the case then i think that it would be ok for you to sit back there,but i don't think her seat can go back there though because more than 20% of her seat would be off the seat.
Right, they flip down from the back and have a shoulder/lap belt. I would be sitting normally, as if in any back seat. But they are short, so the seat won't fit and even if it would, I wouldn't have a clue about how to get it back there.

Yes, we are definately in the boonies. I have no neighbors...at ALL. The closest humans to us are about 10 miles and I have no idea who they are. So, if I can't borrow my dad's truck, and given dd's issues going it alone is pretty near impossible, I will have to sit center...lap belt and all.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Probably safer than having you ride half in front of an airbag with only a lap belt. She CANNOT at all go back there, doesn't matter if her seat fits there, in just about every manual I've looked at there are pictures specifically saying no to the side facing seats (and rear facing seats, carseats are only to be used on forward facing seats). So she would go in front passenger side, your DH driving, and you in the back. How would you get back there? Climb in the driver's side, get her in, pop back there, then your DH get in?

BTW, wanted to add how cute she is. :) 17 pounds at 14 months, sounds like Piper (actually, I have that she was 17.5 pounds at 15 months). :)

Wendy

menfusse

Probably safer than having you ride half in front of an airbag with only a lap belt. She CANNOT at all go back there, doesn't matter if her seat fits there, in just about every manual I've looked at there are pictures specifically saying no to the side facing seats (and rear facing seats, carseats are only to be used on forward facing seats). So she would go in front passenger side, your DH driving, and you in the back. How would you get back there? Climb in the driver's side, get her in, pop back there, then your DH get in?

BTW, wanted to add how cute she is. :) 17 pounds at 14 months, sounds like Piper (actually, I have that she was 17.5 pounds at 15 months). :)

Wendy
The seats actually are not side facing, they are like normal back seats, flip down from the back to look like regular back seats, not like jumper seats from the side. But I am pretty sure they would be too small for a car seat. I would have to climb over I guess...maybe there is a third door that opens out? Its been a long time since I rode in his truck. I have never looked at the manual regarding car seats on the back seats, but with the depth of them, I doubt it would fit anyway.

lovinwaves

ok, so it's a total long shot, but where do you live? Maybe someone here on the Forum is a local.

Also, my parents have a Toyota Tacoma for a work truck, and if I remember correctly there are no headrests in the back. Also, I just can't see the base of any carseat fitting at least 80% on the seat bottom. I would be glad to know though if you can or not. There is NO third door also.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC