Three Car Seats in Hyundai Tuscon

Jennie6308

Im expecting number three in September. Currently I have my 3.5 year old (FF) in a Britax Boulevard (he's about 40 lbs.), and a 15 month old (RF) in a Graco Safe Seat (he's about 20 lbs.) I drive a Hyundai Tuscon and would prefer not to have to replace it.

Id like to put my 15 month old in a Britax Boulevard, as well, keeping him RF til the 33 lbs limit (which should be well into Winter 2010.) When the new baby arrives, I need a bucket seat that will fit. Does anyone have experience with two Boulevards and a bucket seat in a Hyundai Tuscon?

Im looking at the Britax Chaperone (as it got Excellant crash test ratings on Consumer Reports)... Im also looking at the Chicco Key Fit 30 and the Baby Trend Flex Loc with Adjustable Back (as they, too, got high ratings.) (Is CR a good resource or should I be looking somewhere else to find a quality seat?)

Im really concerned that if I get the second Boulevard, I will not be able to fit a bucket seat in. My last question is: How do you arrange the carseats? I was thinking FF, Bucket (middle), and Convertible RF.

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
CR is the worst possible source. The BT is a PITA to install, I find, and then handle must be down, making it big front to back. However, it is the narrowest of infant seats, so it does have that going for it.

Crash test ratings (real ones, from the companies) are not made public as a general rule. And CR retracted their results on their infant seats.

I'd put the two rear facing kids outboard, as they're safer than the forward facing child. I'd probably get the forward child a Radian, as it's narrow and sits low on the seat. Then a rear facing Boulevard, then the infant seat (or another Radian or a Coccoro if you can do without the infant seat). Then when the now 15 month old hits 33 pounds (or the baby outgrows the infant seat) move them to the Radian rear facing, the baby to the Boulevard, and get the eldest child something else. Or buy a second Radian and move kids around.

Wendy

NVMBR02

I'd skip the Chaperone. I had one and while it was okay I much prefer other infant seats. If you need an infant seat I think the keyfit is a much better way to go. I have a Combi Coccoro now though and I love it! We have been using it since Christmas time and if we were to have another baby I would start with the Coccoro. I don't mind giving up the infant seat though.

I second what Wendy said about getting a Radian for your oldest and moving your middle child into the Boulevard. I would try an instal keeping the safeseat you already have and if it doesn't fir then I would look into the Keyfit, a second Radian or a Coccoro for the baby. I would plan on moving Child #2 into the Radian at 33 pounds or purchasing a second one at that time and then moving baby into the boulevard provided it hasn't expired yet.

Maedze

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it's going to happen. I couldn't get a very similar combination in the Santa Fe, which is slightly more roomy than the Tuscon. You're going to need some Radians to pull it off :twocents:

Jennie6308

Thank you everyone for your advice...

We did a trip to Babies R Us (tape measure in hand) and tried lots of different configurations ...

We may be able to just (barely) squeeze in a Boulevard RF, a Baby Trend bucket (since its the smallest around), and a Boulevard FF ... but I think its going to be very tight. I may just order the bucket and extra Boulevard and take it to the Car Seat installation ladies/guys at the local fire station ... see what they can do ...

I checked out the Radian. Does it work well rear facing? I was so happy to see it can be RF to 45! My oldest doesnt know it yet but if we end up with those hes lookign backwards again! I was so upset to turn him at 33 lbs... Im petrified on getting in an accident with him FF.

Ive alwasy thought that Britax was the safest carseat ... but from what Ive read on here Radian seems way safer ... So ... which is the best? We are considering a bigger car if it comes to it. Our Tuscon is over 120,000 miles nad not doing so hot so ... if the new car doesnt come with the new baby it might just come with the new year anyway ... :)

Thanks again!
Jennie

rosey2007

I agree with the PP about have to try more Radians. I just tried my old BT Flex Loc in my 07 Hyundai Elantra yesterday and it fit but I ended up getting a new Graco Snugride 35 because it was so user friendly. The BT is an okay seat but is not the easiest to install.

emars002

I would think you need at leat 1 radian. I have no experience with that car but I just played with my dodge journey which has a pretty big back seat and i couldn't make it work with 1 radian, i think i would need 2 radians.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC