Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Three Car Seats in Hyundai Tuscon

Im expecting number three in September. Currently I have my 3.5 year old (FF) in a Britax Boulevard (he's about 40 lbs.), and a 15 month old (RF) in a Graco Safe Seat (he's about 20 lbs.) I drive a Hyundai Tuscon and would prefer not to have to replace it.

Id like to put my 15 month old in a Britax Boulevard, as well, keeping him RF til the 33 lbs limit (which should be well into Winter 2010.) When the new baby arrives, I need a bucket seat that will fit. Does anyone have experience with two Boulevards and a bucket seat in a Hyundai Tuscon?

Im looking at the Britax Chaperone (as it got Excellant crash test ratings on Consumer Reports)... Im also looking at the Chicco Key Fit 30 and the Baby Trend Flex Loc with Adjustable Back (as they, too, got high ratings.) (Is CR a good resource or should I be looking somewhere else to find a quality seat?)

Im really concerned that if I get the second Boulevard, I will not be able to fit a bucket seat in. My last question is: How do you arrange the carseats? I was thinking FF, Bucket (middle), and Convertible RF.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Three Car Seats in Hyundai Tuscon

CR is the worst possible source. The BT is a PITA to install, I find, and then handle must be down, making it big front to back. However, it is the narrowest of infant seats, so it does have that going for it.

Crash test ratings (real ones, from the companies) are not made public as a general rule. And CR retracted their results on their infant seats.

I'd put the two rear facing kids outboard, as they're safer than the forward facing child. I'd probably get the forward child a Radian, as it's narrow and sits low on the seat. Then a rear facing Boulevard, then the infant seat (or another Radian or a Coccoro if you can do without the infant seat). Then when the now 15 month old hits 33 pounds (or the baby outgrows the infant seat) move them to the Radian rear facing, the baby to the Boulevard, and get the eldest child something else. Or buy a second Radian and move kids around.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Senior Community Member

I'd skip the Chaperone. I had one and while it was okay I much prefer other infant seats. If you need an infant seat I think the keyfit is a much better way to go. I have a Combi Coccoro now though and I love it! We have been using it since Christmas time and if we were to have another baby I would start with the Coccoro. I don't mind giving up the infant seat though.

I second what Wendy said about getting a Radian for your oldest and moving your middle child into the Boulevard. I would try an instal keeping the safeseat you already have and if it doesn't fir then I would look into the Keyfit, a second Radian or a Coccoro for the baby. I would plan on moving Child #2 into the Radian at 33 pounds or purchasing a second one at that time and then moving baby into the boulevard provided it hasn't expired yet.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

CPS Advocate

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it's going to happen. I couldn't get a very similar combination in the Santa Fe, which is slightly more roomy than the Tuscon. You're going to need some Radians to pull it off

Thank you everyone for your advice...

We did a trip to Babies R Us (tape measure in hand) and tried lots of different configurations ...

We may be able to just (barely) squeeze in a Boulevard RF, a Baby Trend bucket (since its the smallest around), and a Boulevard FF ... but I think its going to be very tight. I may just order the bucket and extra Boulevard and take it to the Car Seat installation ladies/guys at the local fire station ... see what they can do ...

I checked out the Radian. Does it work well rear facing? I was so happy to see it can be RF to 45! My oldest doesnt know it yet but if we end up with those hes lookign backwards again! I was so upset to turn him at 33 lbs... Im petrified on getting in an accident with him FF.

Ive alwasy thought that Britax was the safest carseat ... but from what Ive read on here Radian seems way safer ... So ... which is the best? We are considering a bigger car if it comes to it. Our Tuscon is over 120,000 miles nad not doing so hot so ... if the new car doesnt come with the new baby it might just come with the new year anyway ...

Thanks again!
    Jennie

I agree with the PP about have to try more Radians. I just tried my old BT Flex Loc in my 07 Hyundai Elantra yesterday and it fit but I ended up getting a new Graco Snugride 35 because it was so user friendly. The BT is an okay seat but is not the easiest to install.

Senior Community Member emars002's Avatar

I would think you need at leat 1 radian. I have no experience with that car but I just played with my dodge journey which has a pretty big back seat and i couldn't make it work with 1 radian, i think i would need 2 radians.
    Erin, mom to 2 great girls:
    ---------------10 forester--10 Odyssey
    M: 8y1m 41 lbs-----TB---------cybex
    S: 5y1m 39 lbs----80SL-------FN85