Question Crazy to want a Graco SR35 for 22lb, 28" 10 month old?

indigoblossom

i am considering selling my bugaboo bee and getting a graco snugride 35 and an adapter bar for my BOB. the only reason i got a bee was so my son could face me as he strolls, but the seat is so low that the "contact" i wanted to promote is forced. he's also old enough to sit in a cart when shopping but i'm still not ready for him to face outward every time he's in a stroller. i am seriously contemplating the SR35 - though i never thought i'd be one of those parents that used an infant seat for in and out transfers, he'd stay asleep when we're shopping if i didn't have to take him out of the carseat to put him in a carrier or stroller...i haven't yet looked at my other two kiddo's baby books but i'm trying to figure out how long we might actually get to use the SR35 since he's already 28" tall. four more inches doesn't seem like a lot...

am i nuts?

ADS

ZephyrBlue

Well, considering that I just bought one for my 16.5lb, 24.5" 5mo old, I don't think it's crazy at all ;)

And as much as I love and am commited to babywearing, it's been so so so nice to be able to transfer her in the the seat when she falls asleep.

Come over and play w/the SR35 :D

abigaylebelle

Um I bought an ss1 for travel purposes (put it on the stroller through the airport, etc) when my ds was 19 months old! He was wearing 12m clothes so probably 22lbs/30" then. So I obviously did and would again...
Oh and ds hasn't outgrown it quite yet, but we don't really use it much now. He's almost 3 28lbs/36" but has an 11.5" torso. The shell height is 20.5" I believe.

tiggercat

You could try it out and see how much space is above his head (it is outgrown when there is less than 1 inch of space above his head). I'm not sure if it would last you that long. My 19lb 27.5 inch 6m old doesn't have tonnes of space above his head.
(edited to put a recent pic of him in my sig. note that he does have a long torso, and the seat is a bit upright because I was playing with the space for a front passenger, I've put it back to a 40ish degree angle since)

indigoblossom

You could try it out and see how much space is above his head (it is outgrown when there is less than 1 inch of space above his head). I'm not sure if it would last you that long. My 19lb 27.5 inch 6m old doesn't have tonnes of space above his head.
(edited to put a recent pic of him in my sig. note that he does have a long torso, and the seat is a bit upright because I was playing with the space for a front passenger, I've put it back to a 40ish degree angle since)

that picture is helpful, thanks! i knew that the height max wasn't really important on convertible seats but wasn't sure exactly what the rules were on bucket seats. i stop using infant buckets when my kids are between 4 and 6 months old, but of course i've never used one that went past 22lbs. my son is nearly as big as his two older brothers were at this age but he's not as tall and doesn't have as tall of a torso...so i'm going to BRU today for a few things and will totally play with the 35 there. brandi, if you weren't preparing for a meet tomorrow, i'd go bug ya today, but since i'm going to BRU anyway (and target. lol!), i'll just check out the display models ;)

and i'm trying to cut back on the number of strollers so getting another one isn't the answer. i do like the fact that the maxi-cosi foray is high and has a pretty large seat but there are things i don't like about it, as well, and i can't justify it at all. having an infant seat will come in handy for travel and as a spare for DHs car since we never did get the baby a seat for both cars.

indigoblossom

how did i not know the loola had a reversible seat??? argh, you'd think i didn't belong to strollerswap. lol!

i actually bought the racer at BRU today with the 25% trade-in event coupon...i figure when the bee sells i can put a some extra $$$ in my pocket. i don't really need to replace it, since i already two other strollers (three if you count the double, four if you count the volo at my moms. haha)...if the set up on the BOB works well, i can even keep the seat a while after he outgrows it, just for the stroller, though i think we'll get at least 6 months out of the seat, maybe more. there's about 4" from the top of his head to the top of the seat, and i'm not sure if graco is just trying to make things easier on the general public, but the manual says nothing about the child's head being 1" under the shell, just that the max. height is 32"....i'm going to call them for some clarification, though.

indigoblossom

i called graco and they said they never a rule about infant's heads being 1" under the seat shell and that i could go by the 32" max. height *and* the weight limit of 35 pounds. i know my little one will outgrow the height before the weight, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC