Help choosing new seat

U

Unregistered

Hi...I would love your advice on choosing a new seat for my 6mo baby, I've been reading through the posts but feel totally overwhelmed by choice!
So my requirments are - I drive a ford focus so I need something that is going to fit without making the passenger seat unusable. My 3 year old is probably the tallest 3 year old ever so if my daughter is the same I need it to suit a tall child. My son also hit 35lbs before he was 2. Baby girl doesn't seem like she is gaining weight quite as fast but just incase it would probably make more sense to get a higher weight rearfacing seat. I really like the look of the new truefit but am I correct in thinking it only rf to 35lbs still? I probably have a few weeks left of her being in her mico (HATE that seat btw!) Any ideas would be sooo greatly appreciated. Oh and my other question is if I go to a carseat check at the firehall here will they be as knowledgable etc as the CST's on here? Is it the same qualification?

ADS

mommycat

Local checks can be hit or miss. You might get an awesome tech or you might get a not-quite-tech or expired-tech or tech-but-didn't-really-retain-any-info-tech... Learn what you can here and take the firehall check with a grain of salt.

Yes, I believe the new TF will still be just 35lbs. Aside from that, it's a nice tall seat which somehow installs well in tight spaces. I have tried it in a Focus for my ~5'7" friend, where did that go... here, keeping in mind that this was ages ago, I had just got the seat and had never seen it or heard much about it before and was not yet a tech. I'm sure I could do more with it now. ;) I have tried it successfully in my '07 Civic as well.

The Scenera installs very small and is a nice budget, simple seat which offers decent growing room but is also 35lbs and not exceptionally tall, and I would personally prefer something "better" (i.e. more padded, and with EPS foam) for a primary seat.

I have the MyRide in the Civic and it leaves lots of room, more than my old AOE did while providing a better recline despite that. I would definitely try that to see about fit but it is NOT a tall seat as far as the tall/HWH seats go. You will need to assess if she will be more likely to be taller or heavier and which to cater to... UNLESS you can fit in a 2010 Radian at a less reclined angle.

I would definitely try the 2010 Radian (Premier or XT) and if you can get it in, I would go that way for bigger kids. It will offer the most ERF room at 45lbs with a tal shell. It can be a royal pain to try to get more upright, but I have had a Radian RF behind the driver's seat in my Civic with comfortable room for me (5'2") behind the wheel, and have also recently put it RF in the passenger side rear seat of a Mazda3, also a smaller vehicle. It can often/usually be done though I am not sure of your particular vehicle.

Then, another seat to try would be the Complete Air, it has 40lbs RF (50lbs FF) and a very tall shell, and tends to install nice and upright from what I hear.

Hope that gets some questions/discussion started. I didn't really narrow it down too much, did I? :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC