6 kids, advance airbags, who in front?

AtTheSouthDam

In addition to my regular charge I have his two brother tonight , plus the next door neighbors eldest for 20 minutes. I have to pick them all up from school. Subfreezing temps and fresh snow have canceled my plans to walk. It is .85 miles, kids are 8,8,7,6,5 and 3.
Is it still the largest harnessed child in front of the airbag if necessary? I was thing the 5 yo in RN80 would likely be light enough to disable the airbag. Does anyone know the limits on the airbag cut off switch?

Kids stats and seats if you see another option.

C-8y, 56", 90+#
S-8y, 53", 65# NBB
D-7y, 50", 55# TB
DD1-6y, 51", 55# Monterey
C-5y 46", 40# RN
DD2-3y, 31# RF MR.

TIA!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How many seats will you be able to install in the back? That might play into my decision a bit. I'm also wondering about the 'oldest harnessed child' recommendation in the front, since it was 'invented' when seats only went to 40 pounds (a little kid in an older smaller convertible has MUCH lower head excursion without a top tether than the oldest kids we can stick into harnessed seats nowadays), and what kind of seatbelts do you have in front? Do you think pretensioners and load limiters might affect the seat in a crash? (I sort of wonder about this...the crash test bench has a regular anchored lap belt, nothing fancy meant to keep adults safe in a crash like modern cars may have in their front seatbelts).
Given that you would be vigilant about keeping an older or boostered child sitting properly in the front seat, with the seat pushed back far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend putting an older boostered child up front. Though, if you can get a good install with the Radian and don't have advanced seatbelts, then the Radian does have pretty low HE numbers even without a tether, so yeah, it might not be such a bad choice (I was just brainstorming all the issues that come to my mind about the 'oldest harnessed child' rule, kwim? :))

AtTheSouthDam

In the back row I was thinking:
Center row: DD1 in her monterey and D in the TB.
Last row would be S in NBB, DD2 in her MR and C in nothing (I don't have another spare as DH just ran off with the Hamony and his mother uses nothing.) DD1 is actually pretty close to passing the 5 step back there so I fairly certain he will. Not my ideal situation though. I could probably move D and his TB to the front and lock the seat belt, move it back etc. I can get two booster next to the MR RF though.
And yeah, it has been a while since I had had to put a kid in the front. I remember that rule from when I was nannying 8-10 years ago :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, and you know what seats were like back then...the Cargo and Express were the tallest things you could get, lol.

I hope everyone rides nice and quietly for you :D

AtTheSouthDam

Turned out to be non-issue today. C8 dad showed up to set up the free movie night at the school so C8 stayed there. The boostered boys sat nicely on each side of the MR :D I will keep considering this though. I am sure it will arise again one day as this a fairly close knit cul-de-sac (and I am so happy they let us in :D)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC