Question Odyssey versus a deer - what to do about my seats

ctbcleveland

So, last night I hit a deer :(

I am fine. The deer literally bounced a few times, then stood up and ran away. The police were not involved and the car was driven home.

Visible vehicle damage:

Crack in the bumper that is about a foot long.
Crack in the grill
Hood is pushed in in one spot by a couple of inches.

See attached photobucket pictures: If it asks for a password, try deerohno

http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll410/ctbcleveland/Deer/

I was accompanied by my safeseat 1 base and my radian (no kids inside).

Hitting the deer felt no more severe than hitting one of those concrete blocks in front of a parking space. But, there is a fair amount of vehicle damage.

Based on what you see, would you replace the seats?

ADS

Joyofbirth

I would. But I am pretty extreme in my views on replacing. I'm just not sure how the seat fared and I'm not gonna take a chance. I mean my child's life may depend on it someday.

ctbcleveland

Well - according to an older post by Jeanum, SKJP recommends replacing them, but the link on their website is broken, so I can't read it myself.

My mental rule was always that it was an accident if I called the cops. I've run over potholes that have jolted me more than this, but in reality, I would have called the cops had a car hit me, rather than an animal.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Isn't calling the cops just a function of getting the right insurance company to pony up for the damage, though? Not an indication of how damaged the car is.

Even California, a state with a pretty strict seat replacement rule, says the seat has to be occupied. Your seats weren't occupied, what forces were placed on them that are worse than a good solid installation tug?

"Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;
The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;
There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;
The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND
There is no visible damage to the safety seat"

ctbcleveland

Julie -

I am really not worried about the seats. They were unoccupied and when I think about the rest of the crap in my car (my purse, my briefcase, etc.), it did not go flying.

I just wish that all manufacturers had the Britax rule. If this was the case, I'd never have asked the question.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, got it. Yeah, how much money and landfill space and insurance hassles could be avoided if everyone had the same rule :)

I feel bad about your car, though, what a pain to have to get body work done, no matter how minor, it's inconvenient. Glad the deer survived :D

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Wow, your deer did good at getting away. When I got hit, most of my passenger side was dented. Also, I felt close to nothing. Glad you are ok!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC