What seats to recommend if parents are set on NOT rear-facing past one year?

Irishmama

I am loathe to ask this question but I'm trying to help someone with purchasing new seats. In general they are not overly concerned about car seats. I've talked myself blue about rear-facing to at least age two, but it's a no go. So at this point I'm trying to suggest the next best option, as continuing to talk about erf will definitely alienate them. I did manage to convince them that boostering at age two was not an option.

Child in question is tiny as was born early. Budget is definitely an issue, and I don't think they have top tether anchors. A user friendly seat is a must. What would be the best option for them?

I thought perhaps a GN since then when the child gets older there is already a booster there and they won't be tempted to put them straight in a seat belt or use a convertible as a booster. I haven't seen anything about what kind of booster the Maestro or Generations 65 makes. Am I forgetting a seat? I'm kind of at a loss since I usually encourage erf, but this time it's a non-option. Thanks so much for any suggestions!

ADS

lil.miss32

Being born early, does baby have any issues such as low muscle tone, etc? (I don't know how early is "early" here). IF baby does, I'd probably look at a seat with a bit of recline (MyRide?).

Jennifer mom to my 7

How old, weight, height? Actual age? I have pics of my then 1 year olds in the nautilus, if it will you decide if the fit is good. There is the head slump issue in some vehicles though.

cookie123

I would encourage them to rear face at least until baby's corrected age is 1 year and the child is 20 lbs.

As far as a forward facing seat - well, maybe encourage a convertible seat anyway. They might change their mind at some point. The recline might be nicer for a young toddler, too.

How about the Symphony 65?

MomToEliEm

Will these people buy another harnessed seat if a shorter harnessed seat is outgrown prior to the child being ready for a booster? If not, I would look at a harnessed seat that will last for a while. I would suggest either the nautilus or the maestro. The nautilus will last a little while in booster mode, but the maestro won't last long enough as a booster due to it's short non-adjustable booster guide height.

canadiangie

I'm going to say Graco MyRide. The baby will need the recline.

The Radian is just such a bolt upright ff install, and the Nautilus while lasting the longest causes head slump for older toddlers, let alone a baby.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If they're talking about boostering a two year old, I'd be wary of a combo seat since then they can decide it's just fine one day and switch it over.

I'd look at the My Ride. Nice recline, deep sides, and if they do wake up and smell the roses, it rear faces to 40 pounds.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I never, ever recommend the Nautilus for such young kiddos. Always a convertible. It will still fit 4-5 years, but the child will be be comfortable and safer without their sleeping head dangling to their belly sitting in a Nautilus (I say safer, because having your head dangle outside the headwings isn't going to do any good when a car T-bones you at a stop sign :eek: If you are supported properly sleeping in a convertible, your head will be much better protected).
If they want something that becomes a booster, the Symphony's not a bad choice, but they could get a My Ride now and a Turbo later, spread out the same money into two seats (plus, seats get kind of funky after 4-5 years :p a new booster might be quite desirable at that point).

But I always hold out hope they will see the light and go RF again, or maybe keep a subsequent baby RF longer... that's just not a choice if you go straight to a Nautilus after the infant seat, kwim? (I know it's not going to happen with this particular child the OP is asking about, but I deal with this question several times a day at BRU, *everyone* wants the Nautilus, it has such fabulous reviews, and I just steer them all back to the huge row of great convertibles that would all be a better choice, given the death rates for young FF kids in side impacts).

Irishmama

Thanks so much for all the replies! :love: I'll try to reply to all in one post.

I would encourage them to rear face at least until baby's corrected age is 1 year and the child is 20 lbs.

As far as a forward facing seat - well, maybe encourage a convertible seat anyway. They might change their mind at some point. The recline might be nicer for a young toddler, too.

How about the Symphony 65?

I tried, no luck on rf until corrected age one. :( I think the Symphony is over what they'd be willing to spend.

Will these people buy another harnessed seat if a shorter harnessed seat is outgrown prior to the child being ready for a booster? If not, I would look at a harnessed seat that will last for a while. I would suggest either the nautilus or the maestro. The nautilus will last a little while in booster mode, but the maestro won't last long enough as a booster due to it's short non-adjustable booster guide height.
a

Nope, definitely will not buy another harnessed seat. And I fear they wouldn't even buy a booster, so that's why I thought a combo seat.

I'm going to say Graco MyRide. The baby will need the recline.

The Radian is just such a bolt upright ff install, and the Nautilus while lasting the longest causes head slump for older toddlers, let alone a baby.

How is the install and user friendly-ness of the My Ride? I crossed the Radian off right away because of install issues. In general I don't think the manual gets read very thoroughly, if you know what I mean.

If they're talking about boostering a two year old, I'd be wary of a combo seat since then they can decide it's just fine one day and switch it over.

I'd look at the My Ride. Nice recline, deep sides, and if they do wake up and smell the roses, it rear faces to 40 pounds.

Wendy

My fear is that they will go straight from the convertible to seat belt. Grandma thinks car seats are generally unnecessary, and boosters are even more unnecessary, and they just kinda go along with what she thinks. :rolleyes:
I never, ever recommend the Nautilus for such young kiddos. Always a convertible. It will still fit 4-5 years, but the child will be be comfortable and safer without their sleeping head dangling to their belly sitting in a Nautilus (I say safer, because having your head dangle outside the headwings isn't going to do any good when a car T-bones you at a stop sign :eek: If you are supported properly sleeping in a convertible, your head will be much better protected).
If they want something that becomes a booster, the Symphony's not a bad choice, but they could get a My Ride now and a Turbo later, spread out the same money into two seats (plus, seats get kind of funky after 4-5 years :p a new booster might be quite desirable at that point).

But I always hold out hope they will see the light and go RF again, or maybe keep a subsequent baby RF longer... that's just not a choice if you go straight to a Nautilus after the infant seat, kwim? (I know it's not going to happen with this particular child the OP is asking about, but I deal with this question several times a day at BRU, *everyone* wants the Nautilus, it has such fabulous reviews, and I just steer them all back to the huge row of great convertibles that would all be a better choice, given the death rates for young FF kids in side impacts).

I hear you, I completely agree. I was holding out some hope, but it will be an absolute miracle if they change their minds. Ok, I know I missed answering some posts, so I'll add those.

Irishmama

How old, weight, height? Actual age? I have pics of my then 1 year olds in the nautilus, if it will you decide if the fit is good. There is the head slump issue in some vehicles though.

I don't have actual stats. I think they will fit ok in a GN. I don't think they'd be concerned about head slump.
Being born early, does baby have any issues such as low muscle tone, etc? (I don't know how early is "early" here). IF baby does, I'd probably look at a seat with a bit of recline (MyRide?).

No no issues there, just tinier than your average one-year-old.

I would lean towards a GN.

That's what I was thinking, I think they are only willing to buy one more seat, so that way they'd already have the booster, so no excuse not to buy one, and since it lasts longer as a backless, at least they would have the minimum acceptable restraint until (hopefully) kiddo fits in a seat belt.

Thanks so much everyone. It's so frustrating talking to them, but I'm trying really hard to get them to at least do the minimum, and if I can accomplish that, I'll consider that a success.

Mommy2Marcus

I would go for either the My Ride or the Nautilus. However a big part of me would lean WAY towards a MR b/c of the head slump in the nauti. It is not horrible on my child b/c he can sit his head back up, but for such a young child, I would feel horrible about it.

However in the end if you think this would be the absolute LAST seat that they would be willing to purchase than the Nauti might be the best choice after all. B/c at least then they would have a booster in the end.

I am just torn about this. I am not sure what I would reccomend to them in the end. I think I would tell them the seats that would be best & leave it to them. Good Luck. I know how hard it is when someone will not listen no matter what you share with them.

Mommy0608

Is baby even 20 pounds yet? Would a "hey that's not even legal" work?

This is what I was thinking... if you're in a proper use state, I'd throw out the possibility of getting ticketed/fined, since safety obviously isn't enough motivation.

As for recommendations, I say the MyRide. At least they can't be tempted to booster early. :( On the other hand, I can understand the argument for the Nautilus so that they already have a booster, but the head slump issue worries me, plus of course the temptation to convert to booster mode too early.

What a sad situation. :(

steph_s

What about an evenflo Maestro? It has higher harness heights, but doesn't make a great booster seat so they won't be tempted to booster too early! If the family already thinks boosters are pointless then they aren't going to even see the point in spending all that money on a Nautilus because they won't use it later for booster mode anyways hence why a seat with nice tall harness height and a decent weight limit even if it doesn't convert to a booster seat.

Then again you could always recommend a dorel seat. Ya know one with a no forward facing until 34in rule (I believe that is the height?? Not 100% sure there). :thumbsup:

Dillipop

How about an EFTA? My 6 year old can still fit in the harness, it is nice and cushy and can be installed with a little recline now and more upright later. Easy to use, as well.

Mommy0608

How about an EFTA? My 6 year old can still fit in the harness, it is nice and cushy and can be installed with a little recline now and more upright later. Easy to use, as well.

You might be on to something here! At least with this seat the harness height is SUPER easy to adjust, making it more likely to be used properly. I'd be afraid that with other seats, they might not ever change the harness height.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You might be on to something here! At least with this seat the harness height is SUPER easy to adjust, making it more likely to be used properly. I'd be afraid that with other seats, they might not ever change the harness height.

Or, if this route, the Symphony. Then there's a booster waiting at least.

Wendy

mommy2jasmine

I think I'd recommend the My Ride, or some kind of FF/RF convertible, but I think I might give people too much trust in changing their mind. I just think that the Nautilus might promote early boostering, and if they don't have that option, they'll make it longer.

I think if they had the Nauti, they'd be more likely to booster early, even earlier than 4. But, with the My Ride they'd just use it FF till they couldn't anymore, because it's the last "step" of that seat, and they don't have to spend extra $. And, if she's tiny, that could be a looong long time, and hopefully by then (5 years down the road?) they'll have changed their mind. I am sure that word will have spread by then, and the safety aspect of ERF, EH, and Extended Boostering will be a lot more widespread.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC