Inflatable carseat - SCARY!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
So when I couldn't sleep early this morning, I was influenced by Scatterbunny searching boards and looking for carseat questions to answer. I started looking for carseat stuff, too (thanks, Jenny - nothing would get me up at 5:00am except a chance to surf the net for carseat info - LOL!).

How's this for scary? Says it meets FMVSS 213 but has it ever been crashtested???

EP71inSeatSM.jpg

ADS

bbartlettnfld

That is only supossed to be used in Ambulances! Its designed to be deflatable to save space.. I would never use it in an actual car! I think it is for when they have to transport children. As it can be secured to the streacher..
Anyway I could be worng but I am pretty sure I am not!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I did find it on an "emergency" website, but they are selling it to the public as a backup/spare seat... :(

Here's the description from the website:

Perfect for supervisor vehicles, police cars, child welfare personnel or anyone who confronts a situation that warrants immediate or unplanned safe child transport. It can be utilized in virtually any vehicle by virtue of its tether and latch system or conventional belt pathway capabilities.

Splash

I imagine that it does have a rigid back for the belt and harness attachments, and it just inflates on the sides for comfort. Sort of like a Cosco Tote N Go with pillows.
I'm not sure it's something I'd want to use, but it's probably safe.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I imagine that it does have a rigid back for the belt and harness attachments, and it just inflates on the sides for comfort. Sort of like a Cosco Tote N Go with pillows.
I'm not sure it's something I'd want to use, but it's probably safe.

I read more about it and it actually is LATCH/tether equipped and a metal frame. I guess the inflatable part just looks a little freaky... :)

Last edited:

LEAW

I have a friend who bought it for a travel seat.. and I had her return it... :)

For the $$$$$$ it was still heavier than a Scenara. Sent her to get one of those instead.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It would be nice in ambulances I suppose, but you could use your own on the stretcher I believe. If it's not an emergency though, it's safer to take your own car. I wish I had known that when AJ was transported at 4 mos. He just sat buckled on my lap w/ me on the stretcher! :eek: At least we were rfing. ;)

Dillipop

I could see it being useful for social workers, too. It would take up minimal space in a trunk and could be easily inflated for those times that a child might need to be transported to a foster home or such. This way, you wouldn't have to have a seat installed all the time and you could still use your trunk.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
The last comment about social workers brings me to another question: when I start back to work PT in a month or so, I'll be testing foster kids in the foster treatment program (I'm a School Psychologist). Occasionally I will need to transport a child from school to the testing center, etc. I'm thinking of buying a booster seat (such as the folding Compass 510?) to keep in the car if I need it for somone. I'll already have Nolan's Marathon (or whatever 5-pt-harnessed seat we get next) so I think I'll be covered. Is there a need to have a backless booster for larger kids, or should they fit in the Compass 510?

Thanks!

(I may post a separate thread on this..)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The last comment about social workers brings me to another question: when I start back to work PT in a month or so, I'll be testing foster kids in the foster treatment program (I'm a School Psychologist). Occasionally I will need to transport a child from school to the testing center, etc. I'm thinking of buying a booster seat (such as the folding Compass 510?) to keep in the car if I need it for somone. I'll already have Nolan's Marathon (or whatever 5-pt-harnessed seat we get next) so I think I'll be covered. Is there a need to have a backless booster for larger kids, or should they fit in the Compass 510?

Thanks!

(I may post a separate thread on this..)

You don't test kids at their school? Why are you having to transport to a testing center? Is it because there are camera-equipped rooms at the testing center?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
You don't test kids at their school? Why are you having to transport to a testing center? Is it because there are camera-equipped rooms at the testing center?

Since this is for the foster system, it's not part of the school. I'll be working for a private agency that does state testing, so I'll more than likely pick the kids up from school and take them to the testing center/agency. I'm sure the school would have no problem with me testing there, but - as you know - space is precious at schools! Even School Psychologists employed by the school system are usually not "school based", meaning that even though a fulltime school employee, their offices are usually located at the BOE building, etc. And then we go to various schools to test, and we beg, steal, lie, and cheat to get a space... :D Even when I was employed by school systems, it was always hard to find a room to test a child in - borrowing the principal's office, begging the school counselor to let me have their room for a couple of hours, finding empty classrooms, and even using the janitor's closet!!! :eek: Seriously! So the agency said that if no one can drop them off after school (or if done in the morning, transport them to school after testing), then I will have to transport them on occasion. Not wild about that responsibility, but need the job ;)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Since this is for the foster system, it's not part of the school. I'll be working for a private agency that does state testing, so I'll more than likely pick the kids up from school and take them to the testing center/agency. I'm sure the school would have no problem with me testing there, but - as you know - space is precious at schools! Even School Psychologists employed by the school system are usually not "school based", meaning that even though a fulltime school employee, their offices are usually located at the BOE building, etc. And then we go to various schools to test, and we beg, steal, lie, and cheat to get a space... :D Even when I was employed by school systems, it was always hard to find a room to test a child in - borrowing the principal's office, begging the school counselor to let me have their room for a couple of hours, finding empty classrooms, and even using the janitor's closet!!! :eek: Seriously! So the agency said that if no one can drop them off after school (or if done in the morning, transport them to school after testing), then I will have to transport them on occasion. Not wild about that responsibility, but need the job ;)

Ah! Got it. I wasn't thinking of the fact that you may be testing for the foster system, not for the school. :eek:

I completely understand what you are saying about space constraints!! My school is packed. We share classrooms and each classroom is used every single period. I teach in four different classrooms (two of my classes, however, are team-taught, so they really don't count). :)

The school psychologists and school social workers are only there part-time (they split between two schools). They do have offices, but their offices are barely big enough for a desk and chair. There is no way they could easily test in those rooms. :) I think they make it work, but it is not easy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC