EU/UK Britax Evolva 1-2-3.

ADS

InternationalMama

Official answer regarding the european Nautilus:

18kg ist 40lbs - so no 65lbs harness limit on uk Nautilus.
Joy

Thanks. :)

OP, as far as I know the Graco Nautilus cannot be installed with LATCH when it is in booster mode, only in harness mode. But I could be wrong.

I think it sounds like something like the Young Sport or Nautilus would be a good choice for your DD so you don't have to worry about booster training and belt fit now since she is used to riding in a harness. It may be that her discomfort FF on long trips is more about the Boulevard than facing forward. A seat with more leg support might be more comfortable for her. If I were you I would go try out the Young Sport and Nautilus here in the US and see what you/she think of them. If you are interested in getting her the Britax Kid Fix I would try her in the Britax Monarch (US version) and see what you think of the belt fit before you buy it.

Is 34 lbs her weight with all her clothes and shoes on? That's the weight you use for a car seat. If the belt fit is good I wouldn't worry about her weight fluctuating with illness, but some car seats fit smaller booster riders better than others so that's why I would want to try before you arrive in the UK.

Another option would be to try her in something like the Graco Turbobooster here in the US and see how she fits and start booster training with it here and then bring it with you on your trip. Installation issues aren't really something to be concerned about with a boosters and with the Turbo the back comes off so you could pack the back padded in your suitcase and carry the bottom portion on board (to prevent damage) and then you'd already have it with you when you arrive and she would be used to riding in it.

I still think if I were you I would look into the Ride Safer Travel Vest too. That could be the easiest most versatile solution.

twinkletoes

Yes, her weight is fully clothed with shoes (no coat)

Thanks for the insight on the boosters, we will try them out.

I'll also look at the safe rider belt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think the Young Sport would serve you well, personally. :) It has very high top slots for a 40 lb. seat. And you could try the fit out before going (if you can find it nearby.)

twinkletoes

I think the Young Sport would serve you well, personally. :) It has very high top slots for a 40 lb. seat. And you could try the fit out before going (if you can find it nearby.)

I forget,- can the young sport be used with latch or Isofix in 'booster' mode?

I have been thinking a lot about Adventure dad's post - next year we will be out of the five point harness (when we next visit) and the heavier booster is worrisome now, if it doesn't have Isofix..

Adventure dad - the one concern I have with the Adventure is it doesn't look very well padded - I'd be conerned for longer trips.. if it was used for quick trips then I'd be happy, but I'm not able to see it IRL... so can't tell if it has ample padding to prevent a numb bum ;) but it doesn't look padded in the pictures, and is so much less price wise, It makes me wonder? your son is in one though, how does he fair on longer car rides?

My parents Ideally don't want to deal with Isofix on a high back booster, so the adventure is appealing to them! - how difficult (or time consuming) is Isofix?

there are a couple of other seats.. the brtiax Kid and the Kid plus, but they are not Isofix are heavier than the adventure? by much? or is the weight difference minimum to not cause alarm?

Thanks so much :).. it's all coming together and I'm so happy that I'll be making an informed decision :)

InternationalMama

I forget,- can the young sport be used with latch or Isofix in 'booster' mode?

As far as I know it cannot. I think having a good belt fit is much more important than whether the booster can be secured to the vehicle with isofix though. I also would be more concerned with making sure your DD is booster trained (and not putting her in a booster suddenly for the trip when she has been used to a harness) than getting a booster rather than a combination seat which can harness her because you want the booster to use isofix.In fact, there are some arguments and crash test footage that it is better for the booster to move with the child in a crash rather than stay secured to the vehicle with latch.

twinkletoes

It's more to do with the weight of the seat though, if dd fits well in the Ricaro seat as a high back booster, but as a booster, that's a lot of weight in the booster without latch right? as Adventure dad pointed out about the Evolva bening a heavy seat in booster mode in the event of a crash!.. so I was thinking, if it's 'isofix, then it's weight wouldn't matter in the event of a crash! (from what I understood earlier ;) and it would then fit the bill perfectly!

I don't want to go with a heavy high back booster if it can't be isofixed.. so then that rules out the 1 2 3 group seats, and I'll have to find a booster that fits my child well and booster train before we leave.. from what I understand, the Adventure seat by Britax fits most children really well?

I'd have to find something else for here though, to start our training!

how is a child supposed to fit in the seat? I know the seat belt has to be on their hips, but how far from their belly? and what about shoulder area?

twinkletoes

I started a thread about Submarining, but thought I should ask here as well:

below is what I found on a site selling the Britax Parkway SG

The SlideGuard tab creates a crotch-strap to protect your child from submarining. Submarining is when a child slips below the lap belt during a collision, causing internal injury and possibly death. The SlideGuard strap works in both backless and high-back mode.

I was then told that there is a study out showing a child under 40lbs is at risk of submarining? of course, in Sweden, most children are much heavier than my child, at 34lbs. but should I take this seriously? or would it be more to do with the seats not fitting a smaller child? and am I right in assuming the Britax Adventure fits a smaller child in general? of course, I'll try out seats here, but I have no Idea if my child would be at risk or not?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have a Parkway SG, and I think the SG "feature" is a marketing ploy. I can't see how it would improve the fit of the seat if your child is large enough to be in a booster. Here in Canada, we have a minimum 40lb weigh limit on boosters. At that point, I really don't see how the SG would be of any benefit and if anything it's a bit of an inconvenience to use. My son pitches a fit when he's still trapped under the SG strap on one side, when undoing the booster.

Sure, it's probably great for that 30lb 3 year old in a booster--but let's not put our 30lb 3 year olds into boosters in the first place. Britax used to advocate for extended harnessing, and the SG "feature" seems to be suggesting they've moved in the opposite direction.

This post is STRICTLY my opinion. I'm not citing studies or anything beyond my gut and my experience with the Parkway SG. Take it as you will.

-Nicole.

joyride

as Adventure dad pointed out about the Evolva bening a heavy seat in booster mode in the event of a crash!.. so I was thinking, if it's 'isofix, then it's weight wouldn't matter in the event of a crash! (from what I understood earlier ;) and it would then fit the bill perfectly!
I don´t know any crash test results proven this. This is more a gut feeling.

The Recaro Start weights 11kg and has very good crash test results (without latch in europe).

The Recaro Young Sport isn´t heavy at all, so I would be perfectly happy using it as Booster.

Joy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The most annoying thing about the SG to ME is the 40 lb. lower weight limit. So, there's this feature to help combat a problem seen in kids under 40... But I can't use it for my kid, who is under 40. (My almost-6 year old is almost 40 but not quite there-- hovering under it.) Super-annoying. An age limit would have been much more practical (30 or 33 lbs. or whatever and 4 or 5 years, for instance.)

Adventuredad

If two seats are equal and non-Isofix, the lighter one will cause less impact forces on a child. Comparisons are never this straightforward though. Kid Fix is great since it has Isofix which gets rid of the weight problem of the booster while forward facing. Isofix also provide better protection in side impacts and is installed in seconds. Downside is the higher cost.

Weight of a child is of little importance concerning booster safety. It's age which is important, bones ossify with age not by size/weight. A "normal" child who is 35 lbs is just as safe as one who is 45 lbs. The 40 lbs limit in US is chosen as a compromise and to make parents wait longer before using a booster. Nothing magical happens at 40 lbs.

Padding in the Adventure is pretty good. A good booster should not be soft and cushy, that's not good for safety. There is a balance between enough padding to make a booster comfortable but still keep it safe. My son uses the Adventure and it works well. He's 6 years old 120 cm tall and about 45-50 lbs.

Britax Kid Plus is the most sold booster in Sweden. Car seat gurus who know most instead sell more of Adventure since it's lighter and really has no negative sides. It even has cup holders! :D Some parents might say it's lacking a feature since it can't be split. We think that's a great feature:whistle:

InternationalMama

Weight of a child is of little importance concerning booster safety.

I don't know if this was your intention, but your post reads as if belt fit (which is in part determined by a child's size) isn't important when it comes to boosters. It seems to me children at the lower end of weight ranges tend not to fit the belt very well in a booster (of course it depends on the child and the booster) so in that sense this is important when we are talking about booster safety.

Adventuredad

You're of course correct, belt fit is very important. But a child could be skinny and still of normal height. Looking purely at weight is not that relevant.

twinkletoes

You're of course correct, belt fit is very important. But a child could be skinny and still of normal height. Looking purely at weight is not that relevant.

My dd is below the charts for height, at 42", 33lbs.. so very petite.. she doesn't look 'skinny' but she is certainly petite for her age! that said, her height and weight are proportioned at 50%. do you feel the Adventure would suit her size? I can measure her torso if this helps some? this is a seat we wouldn't be able to try before we buy..so nervous about that; we will be leaving for the UK in two weeks (dd is two months shy of 6) and will be staying for three months, so she will be turing 6 once there.

InternationalMama

Are you planning on buying a booster to use in the US that you could train her with in the next two weeks before you go? Putting a five year old in a booster full time when she has not had any experience with one and you don't know if it will fit her well doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Would you then plan to have her be boostered full time when you got back from your trip as well?

twinkletoes

I was going to train, then I realized I'd be sitting in the back with my daughter on our trips, so could correct her position if need be. I'd feel at ease doing it this way, than being the one driving and training at the same time, which would be the case here in the US. do you feel that would be sufficient?

I know your sooo right about the advantage seat my not fit my child, we know it fits my parents cars, according to the Britax site, but of course I can't try it out over here on my daughter, wish it was available here!

I have just found some lightweight harnessed high back boosters in the UK, www.mothercare.co.uk have some on their site (some are under high back boosters, others are under 'harness' boosters) but I wouldn't know if they fit booster mode down the line, but then my child will be two years older by the time we use the booster on a combination high back, so even if she didn't fit 'booster' mode now she may in a couple of years? we buy infant car seats before our babies arrive, I am assuming it's safe to buy a harnessed booster without trying it out?

That said, I have no Idea what is available in my parents town.. it's a small town.

What lightweight high back boosers in the UK are also available in the US? I"ts hard as some of them (like Graco) have different names.

These are what I have found so far, not sure if they are available here or not?

Maxi Rodi

Ricaro Monza

Mamas and Papas Pro Gro (Peg Perego

Graco Junior plus

Concord fit

gcraco junior maxi

Graco Logico

Briax Kid (is this the same seat as the parkway?, I don't remember!)

Any seats here that I can get in the UK? I am sure there are seats I don't even know about!

Thanks ;)

InternationalMama

Here is a link to the Recaro Young Sport on the Mothercare website, which we have been recommending to you as a seat that fits small booster riders well (when you are ready to stop using the harness). If your parents have a Mothercare store in their town I would be very surprised if they don't sell the Young Sport and you can try it out in the US before you go:

http://www.mothercare.com/Recaro-Yo...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44453031&mcb=core

I don't think it is a good idea to try to booster train your daughter after your trip has already started. She will be jetlagged, tired and in an unfamiliar environment and you will be adding onto that the whole new experience of being in a booster seat which she will have no experience with and may be surprised to discover she doesn't have the impulse control for yet. Plus booster training is ideally started on short trips, for example in a second vehicle, not as an all or nothing experience. Plus there is the all important issue of booster fit, which if you buy the Adventure you won't know how it will fit until you are already using it. Fit with harnessed seats is not a concern as long as the child isn't too tall for the seat as the customer service rep at incarsafetycentre explained. That's just my opinion from reading here though. Perhaps others with personal experience booster training can offer more advice.

InternationalMama

If your daughter would like a pink seat you could choose this Storchenmühle Starlight, which as Joyride mentioned is essentially the same seat as the Recaro Young Sport:

http://www.mothercare.com/Storchenm...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44453031&mcb=core

ETA: I apologize. I misunderstood that you were asking which high back booster seats in the UK are available for you to try in the US before your trip. This one from Mothercare looks to be the Graco Turbobooster, which can fit small booster riders well, but it depends.

twinkletoes

Thank You :)

I will need a couple of options, in case the Ricara young sport doesn't fit my parents car.

www.halfords.co.uk

we also have a Halfords in my parents town.

however, I am sure the collections in both halfords and Motherare are limited in the stores.

www.argos.co.uk

another store in my parents town. I believe Argos and Halfords have more variety of seats that could also be seats available here? then I could try them out, but I do realize I'd have to 'booster' train BEFORE the trip though. and if dd didn't 'get it' we would be back to drawing board.

I was wondering which graco seat in the UK was one we had here, why can't they just be the same name?

Mothercare make their own products that look exactly like Graco products too

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC