EU/UK Britax Evolva 1-2-3.

twinkletoes

we're off to the UK for a few months. dad and mum want to have a seat installed in their car before we arrive (as fit is vital) they do not want to risk our seat not fitting their car.

so, my question is this.. what are your thoughts on the Evolva 1-2-3? I realize it only has a harness up to 18KG (what's that? about 39lbs?)then it goes into a high back booster, but not sure if it then continues to go into a backless booster or not? and at what stage?

dd is about 35lbs,she is about 42" and turning 6 in May.

If anyone knows of a seat that will harness a UK kid past 18kg, please share :)

Thanks... 4lbs left in a five pint harness, we would only have issues next time we visit as dd would be past the weight limit next year..

ADS

chelsey

they are in the European Union so they can buy,use any seat from Scandinavia,so Your child can even rear face longer:)
http://www.prams-pushchairs.co.uk/brio-zento-black-rear-facing-car-seat-p-407.html?currency=GBP BRIO Zento can be fitted rear-facing for children 0-25 kg using the cars two-point or three-point seatbelt and the tether strap, which is included. As a forward-facing child safety seat, BRIO Zento is fitted using the cars three-point seatbelt. Children who weigh 15-18 kg are restrained with the integral safety harness. When BRIO Zento is used as a booster seat for children who weigh 15-25 kg,

Britax Multi-Tech & Britax Two Way Elite can be used in RF for longer time

twinkletoes

thanks, most helpful! I'd love for dd to be rearfacing for longer, but have no Idea if there is anything close to my parents house where they can have the car seat installed..

does the Two Way Elite face forward facing up to 55lbs in the five point harness? should they not be able to fit a bigger seat rearward facing, I wonder if that would be an option. or is it only up to 39lbs ish, forward facing in the five pint harness?

I noticed this was the case with the multi tech.

Edit to add, close by shops that would carry the euro seats :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think it's NECESSARY for a 6 year old to be rear-facing (or harnessed at all.)

If you want her to and she'll be comfortable though, this site may be helpful to you: http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/

They would be helpful in locating a store nearby that carries these seats.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I don't think it's NECESSARY for a 6 year old to be rear-facing (or harnessed at all.)

If you want her to and she'll be comfortable though, this site may be helpful to you: http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/

They would be helpful in locating a store nearby that carries these seats.

THis is true, except the child in question is only 35 pounds, and 42 inches. My 4 year old is bigger than that;) So I can understand why the op may want a harnessed seat for her.

exegesis48

I would recommend the Recaro Young Sport. Recaro is a very popular brand in the UK and they are capable of going up to 36Kg. My wife is British, so if you would like I can ask her opinion, as she has a nephew in the UK who is austitic and still rides harnessed.

Also, Recaro, like many other UK brands, is good for 10 years. So you wouldn't need to be buy another seat for your daughter for the foreseeable future.

Maedze

The harnessed Recaro seat you are thinking of is the Recaro Monza and does not go up to 36 kg (80 pounds) in that sense. It has an internal POSITIONING harness for special needs children who have difficulty sitting without assistance. It is still a belt positioning booster. The belt comes over the child and restrains the child. It's also extremely expensive. http://www.theradapt.com/Store/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=3083

The Recaro Young Sport only harnesses to 18kg/40 pounds.

InternationalMama

The Evolva 1-2-3 is a very popular seat in Europe because it can be used from 9kg-36kg. It only goes up to 18kg as a harnessed seat though, you are correct. As far as I can tell it has the same shell as the Britax Multi-Tech. (A Swedish seat you can find threads about here. The difference being that the Multi-Tech can also be used rear facing.) The Evolva doesn't seem as popular with the testing organizations (hasn't won any awards and isn't ranked especially high) as it is with parents though. Some people feel the Evolva/Multi-Tech shell is similar to the Britax Frontier sold in the US, but they look a little different to me.

There are quite a few seats available in the UK that your daughter could rear face in and you'll find them in the Buyer's Guide at the rearfacing.co.uk website Ketchup Queen linked to. They have a list of local dealers so you may be able to find one close to your parents.

The Two-Way Elite others mentioned will forward face to 55 lbs (25kg) in a harness and that's the only non-special needs seat in the UK that will as far as I know. If you can't find a store close to your parents that carries it you can look at incarsafetycentre.co.uk, which is a great store that will ship it to you for free.

Another option would be to look into bringing a Ride Safer Travel Vest with you for your DD. (I don't think you'd have any problems with it fitting in your parents car since it only needs a lap/shoulder belt. The new version should fit her well even though she's petite. (Old version not so much so don't buy the grey one.)

You could also have your parents look at getting a Britax Vario. It used to be sold in the US as the Britax Laptop if you want to search for info and acts more like a harness than a booster, it is a sort of shield that goes in front of the child's abdomen. I can't imagine there would be fit problems in the car although she might be on the small side for it.

If your parents do want to get a harnessed seat that will turn into a booster once she is 18kg I would personally recommend something like the Recaro Young Sport over the Evolva 1-2-3. She's so petite and the Young Sport has a reputation for fitting small booster riders well. The Evolva looks very wide to me. As a bonus the Young Sport is also sold in the US so you might be able to try one out here and see how you like the fit before your parents buy it.

I hope that helps.

twinkletoes

Thanks everyone, I think because the only shop that is listed as being close to my parents carry's the besafe line, (suffolk) we are still only looking at an 18kg weight limit in the five point harness, and well - that seat doesn't go any higher, so wouldn't work for our needs anyway.

My parents need something close to home (can't be driving for over 2 hours across the country, apparently, although I would, I'd say a half hour journey max) and they want it to be installed as they buy, so again, online wouldn't be an option. what do you do if the car doesn't fit? my parents wants someone to install it and say yes or no, it does or does not fit etc.

The uk site has the 'fit your car' option. so they know the Evolva 1-2-3 fits their car, but again, they will have the trained shop assistant install the car before they leave, as this is custom in the UK.

however, I'll for sure mention the Ricardo young sport, esp. if it will fit my dd better in the booster mode.. I guess because it's sold over here, I can find reviews too? but Mothercare on line carry it, so they will likely have it in the shops in my parents home town.

InternationalMama

You can find Britax' lists of what cars will fit Swedish seats like the Two-Way Elite at carseat.se. If you click on the webshop link and then select the model you're looking at, you can see if your parents car is in the list. (It's called the Two-Way Plus on that site.) However, if they don't want to buy online it sounds like that seat is probably out.

Here is a review I like of the Recaro Young Sport in booster mode that is one of the reasons I recommended it from carseatblog.com. There is a user here who lives in the UK and uses this seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You may also take note that the Graco Nautilus was recently introduced in the UK and is available at Babies R Us there and one other shop-- let me look for it-- here it is, Halfords. Here's the thread over it.

And yes, I noticed that she was small. ;) But I feel a 35 lb. 6 year old is perfectly safe in a properly fitted, properly used high-backed booster. Since her situation is only for a few months, and boosters tend to be much cheaper than harnessed seats, and are often easier for grandparents to use (especially if their car doesn't have locking belts and most harnessed seats will require use of a locking clip) I thought I'd mention it just in case she wanted to consider a booster instead. :) But there are seats that can harness her, and I'm happy to try to help find those too.

InternationalMama

You may also take note that the Graco Nautilus was recently introduced in the UK

That's cool! I hope it has lock-offs like the new US Elite version. I like the idea that you would be able to try out the fit of these seats before your DD is using them.

OP, Britax doesn't address the issue of expiration on their EU seats directly, but I was told by a poster here who sells them that it is 10 years from date of purchase.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I see something on the side in the photo that looks like it may be a lockoff. It's the same color, shape, and placement as the Nautilus Elite lockoff, anyway. Unfortunately the description I had was not very detailed. I may need to do more sleuthing. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Halford's photo is zoomable, and that is almost certainly a lockoff. :thumbsup: Really, I can't think of anything else it could be, in that shape and position, and you can see the two halves where it pinches together. Also they give a weight range breakdown, and the harness is 20-65 lbs. in Europe as well. (30-100 lbs. as booster. 40-100 as backless booster.)

twinkletoes

okay, so would the Graco be a better seat than the Ricaro? how does it fair as a high back booster.. although I realize we have a way to go before dd is 65lbs.. so she will be bigger and it maybe less of an issue since the Ricaro would have to be used as a booster at 39lbs.

This is all too exciting lol. we have a Halfords were my paretns are, and I wouldn't be surprised if Mothercare stock the Graco seat, as they actually carry a lot of Graco's and even have the their own bran of mothercare strollers that are Identical to Graco strollers. -

so, ricaro, britax evolva and Graco N (what ever it's called lol) will be of choice in my parents home town:) but if all 3 fit well, which one would you choose? I was always told that a 5 point harness is better, regardless of age. but in sweden their seats fit up to 55lbs in a five point harness (and rearward facing as well) so a ff facing, I thought I'd want at least a five point harness to see me to at least 55lbs no?

This is wonderful info, thank you for your help everyone :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC