Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered _ Scott

RF Car seat- 2003 Jetta Wagon - 6'6" driver or passenger

Our son at 9 months just outgrew his infant seat and we are transitioning him into a convertible.

The plan was a roundabout 50 for our primary travel vehicle (2003 Jetta Wagon) and the Cosco Scerena for our secondary vehicle (ford focus).

When it came time to install I encountered a huge problem neither seat we purchased would fit in the wagon. I am 6'6 so to drive I need the seat all the way back, I do not fit in the wagon's back seat and no matter where I tried to install the car I would not be able to ride as a passenger or driver depending on the day.

Any help on what type of car seat with the features and safety of the Roundabout 50 that would fit RF in our wagon? Our plan is to keep him RF for as long as possible right now he is at 29.5 inches and 20lbs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: RF Car seat- 2003 Jetta Wagon - 6'6" driver or passenger

Do you have it installed more upright, or at the 45 degrees stated on the side? He can be as upright as 30 degrees, which should fit behind one seat or the other, if not the middle. If you can fit an infant seat in, you can often fit the convertible.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered_Scott

I have the 45 recline as stated. The infant seat fits middle installed I am pushed up a little but still can drive pretty comfortably at the full recline I can not even get in the car with the roundabout 50 RF.

I will try adjusting the angle.

Thanks.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Also, so you know, a rear facing seat is outgrown when there is less than 1" of hard shell above the head, or at the weight limit. Not at the stated height limit, since some kids carry their length in their torso, and some in the legs.

And also, just in case, VWs do not allow for LATCH use in the center of your car.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785