MSRP vs Invoice price and buying tips

mpk3

I'm embarrassed to ask, but what is the difference between MSRP and Invoice prices?

I am planning to buy a new car and don't want to get taken advantage of at the dealership. Any car buying tips?

Thank you :)

ADS

MSRP is what they would like you to buy it at.

Invoice is what the car cost them to buy from the manufacturer.

I never care what the MSRP is. I always negotiate from invoice. If there are rebates, you can get a car for under invoice. My Lexus was $500 under invoice. If I didn't get this one particular option package, they go for about $1500 under invoice.

Check Edmunds.com for the invoice and any rebates out there. Then, I e-mail/fax a bunch of dealers and ask them for a quote on a specific car I'm looking for. I take the responses and play them off each other. I finished shopping for my Lexus in less than 10 hours from the comfort of my own home. I check carsdirect.com to see what "market" price is in my area, and I never buy over that price (cuz you could just buy from carsdirect.com then).

SavsMom

Yup...use Edmunds, they are usually fairly accurate in their pricing of new vehicles. If you are looking to purchase a vehicle that is fairly common and easy to get you should be able to purchase the vehicle for around invoice (or a little less) minus the rebates. If the vehicle you are looking to purchase is a brand new model, has limited availabilty or is just a "hot" item dealers may be less willing to negotiate.

Best advice, go on Edmunds, price out the vehicle you are wanting with all options you are looking for included and get quotes from at least 3 dealers (you can do this right from edmunds) and start there.

MSRP is what they would like you to buy it at.

Invoice is what the car cost them to buy from the manufacturer.

I never care what the MSRP is. I always negotiate from invoice. If there are rebates, you can get a car for under invoice. My Lexus was $500 under invoice. If I didn't get this one particular option package, they go for about $1500 under invoice.

Check Edmunds.com for the invoice and any rebates out there. Then, I e-mail/fax a bunch of dealers and ask them for a quote on a specific car I'm looking for. I take the responses and play them off each other. I finished shopping for my Lexus in less than 10 hours from the comfort of my own home. I check carsdirect.com to see what "market" price is in my area, and I never buy over that price (cuz you could just buy from carsdirect.com then).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC