Is there any safety issue for dirty straps?

Laurette

I'm just curious about this. I always clean my straps regularly but I'm sure we have all seen very dirty straps at checks, ect. Do they pose a safety risk is it purely asthetic?

ADS

Maedze

I think it depends what they're dirty with. General grime? Gross and unhygienic, but not dangerous.

Soaked in acidic vomit and never sponged off? Potentially dangerous :twocents:

skaterbabs

Actually, cleaning your harness may pose the biggest risk. Never use any kind of chemicals (Febreeze, bleach, whatever), never put it in the washing machine or dryer, etc. If it needs to be cleaned, make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

Laurette

Actually, cleaning your harness may pose the biggest risk. Never use any kind of chemicals (Febreeze, bleach, whatever), never put it in the washing machine or dryer, etc. If it needs to be cleaned, make sure you follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

I always clean per manufacture specifications. Thanks.

TheQueenMother

I wonder if being caked in any substance regardless of acidity might make the straps break down over time. I frequently see seats left on porches here, often covered in food prior to that time. I helped a friend clean a 2 y/o aoe this summer. I don't think the seat had ever been cleaned and many meals had been eaten in the seat. The creases in the straps were permenant where it had been folded into itself for so long. While there was no noticible thinning, I wondered if being saturated with food for that length of time could break down the harness.
I simply wiped the straps with a damp cloth, no cleaner. I do the same with my own seats if needed.

bigteamug

Just as an interesting tidbit, my sister (a slob :p) once had a jar of homemade pickles spill in the backseat of one of their cars. I don't think they ever really cleaned it up. Much later, I went to install a carseat in the back. The seatbelt came apart where the buckle was sewn/glued :eek: Tried another, same story, all three were shot. I think they had them replaced eventually. I am so glad it happened when I was trying to install and not in an accident.....

So yes, some stuff can kill your straps, but pickle juice is pretty acidic, and I'm guessing it pooled in the crevice where the buckles sat and never was dealt with at all. Ick.

soygurl

The test done by... (uh... NHTSA? I should just go look it up, but I'm being lazy... someone help me out here... :eek:)... that tested the strength reduction of webbing in relation to how many times it was twisted, compared the twisted webbing to webbing soaked it either apple juice or cola (an also twisted? or maybe not...). If I remember correctly, the strength reduction was pretty similar among all (though decreasing with each additional twist), but overall under reasonable limits.

Yeah... I'm gonna go look it up. That was seriously incoherent. :eek: No more posting at 1 am for me (lol... who am I kidding... it's my favorite time to post!). :p

ETA: The test I was thinking of was done by IMMI... didn't read it though. Going to sleep instead. Am I remembering the results right?

Last edited:

Athena

The other day when DD got sticky crumbs on her brand new GN's crotch strap, I simply wiped it off with a baby wipe (unscented, alcohol free, "safe" for newborn type). It is not as mild as a plain damp cloth and that would be my preference, but it was what I had and I didn't want to wait until it had dried on there. So was that okay to use? If not, I'll order a replacement strap, but I hope it is because that is often all I have with me in that sort of situation.

I try to stick to water and crackers for in the seats, but we're not perfect. Actually for a long time we never ate in them, but when you have two, things change. :whistle: After reading this thread, I'll be thinking about the acidity of things before I let her eat them in the car.

mommy2jasmine

Yes, it was done by IMMI. (I'm not a tech, but I have a manual, that my friend is letting me borrow/have, so I can pre-study for when I do become a tech)

I'm just going to summarize the beginning, but the conclusion I'll leave in tact.

It said that typical restraint webbing meeting the specifications were used, and they are rated to 6,000 pounds of strength. It says that they were soaked for 6 hours, then dried for 24. The minimum they should hold is 3,000 lbs.

Results where: (no twist, 1/2 twist, 1 twist, 1 1/2 twists, 2 twists)
Plain 6496 6466 6343 6168 5944
Apple Juice 6685 6442 6118 5989 5942
Coca Cola 6690 6364 6255 6018 5855

Conclusions:
"The test results show some reduction in strength when twisted. Treated webbing showed slightly more reduction in strength on a % basis than untreated webbing. The average reduction in strength (plain and untreated) with one twist was 5.8% and at two twists was 10.7%.

The tensile strength of the plain and treated webbing at the worst condition of the two twists is still well above the requirements in FMVSS 209 and ECE 16. In fact, the average tensile strength of the two twist samples (plain and twisted) of 5913 pounds is nearly twice the requirements of FMVSS 209

Since the expected loading on the vehicle belts when used with child restraint seats is even lower. the strength of safety for the webbing will be even higher than twice the regulation requirements.

Based on the test results, there should not be a concert about the strength of the vehicle webbing when the buckles are twisted to improve the fit of the child restraint seat."

Rotting pickle juice is a whole different story, I'm sure, lol

The test done by... (uh... NHTSA? I should just go look it up, but I'm being lazy... someone help me out here... :eek:)... that tested the strength reduction of webbing in relation to how many times it was twisted, compared the twisted webbing to webbing soaked it either apple juice or cola (an also twisted? or maybe not...). If I remember correctly, the strength reduction was pretty similar among all (though decreasing with each additional twist), but overall under reasonable limits.

Yeah... I'm gonna go look it up. That was seriously incoherent. :eek: No more posting at 1 am for me (lol... who am I kidding... it's my favorite time to post!). :p

ETA: The test I was thinking of was done by IMMI... didn't read it though. Going to sleep instead. Am I remembering the results right?

Athena

So does everyone think it's okay to spot clean the webbing with a mild newborn type baby wipe if that's all you have on hand when a mess occurs?

Thanks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC