Carwashing in winter

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, guys, I need some advice...

My car is disgusting. There is salt COVERING the entire car. It is really bad.

Besides using warm water to wash it or going to one of the automated carwashes (of which I am terrified!), what advice do you all have about how to wash a car when the outside temperature is below freezing?

My only ideas are:

1) Automated carwash (which I REALLY REALLY don't want to do)
2) Using warm water and rubber gloves

Do you all have any other ideas?

Thanks! :)

ADS

Dillipop

We have car wash bays here that you pull into and spray your car down. There is a long, triggered tube on the end of a hose. You are much further away than if you are doing it at home. There is also a brush with soap in it. It is about $2 for the first bit and then you can add quarters to add time, if you catch it before the original time is up. I find that I don't get wet this way, but the car gets clean because the water pressure is way better than at home. We usually just rinse the car and undercarriage in the winter and forego the soap, though, since it is cold. But at least we get the salt off.

canadianmom2three

My DS was also terrified of those auto washes. We used to go to the type where you actually get out of the vehicle and the attendent takes it in and through while detailing the interior - it cost a bit more (like about $15?) but was well worth it in mid winter!!Now of course, all 3 kids love the auto wash, and are always asking to go through. I know DH still takes his truck to the outdoor wash. I'm not sure if the water is warm all year long, but this time of year he says it is steaming hot - and out of the wind, so not too cold. Best of luck (I just washed mine this week, and already its back to its old salty self)

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I just ran mine through the 'touchless' powerwash, where the water/soap jets move around the outside of the vehicle. The place runs a token special for the holidays so it's only $4 a shot (compared to $7-8). I've also used the bays and can stay pretty dry.

I wouldn't advise doing it at home, although I have a neighbor who does, in shorts, in all temperatures. His cars are always spotless.

Michi

Oh I LOVE PDQ in the winter.
You drive up and hand over your car to the attendant. Then you go inside - where they have snacks, and huge windows to watch the car going through.
They clean everything inside and out and dry it! It's expensive - $20-30, but my kids LOVE watching the car - w/o being IN the car!

broken4u05

I have one here that i love. My car was really messy or i would not of gone. It was a mess inside and out so for $14 it was cleaned inside and out. For less money you can just drive in and they have always been great. There is a line like 20 cars out for this place

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have one here that i love. My car was really messy or i would not of gone. It was a mess inside and out so for $14 it was cleaned inside and out. For less money you can just drive in and they have always been great. There is a line like 20 cars out for this place

Where do you go? I am in NoVA, so Maryland is not far away! If there is a good place, I will go there! :)

beeman

Well, weekly washes in the winter time are supposed to greatly reduce rusting (If you keep your vehicles around long enough for them to do that). I go to one of the wand bays that is inside here. The place I go to you get a card and just add money on it with cash or bank card, so you don't always have to dig for change. After I'm done washing I let it drip down a bit at the carwash, and then go into the underground parking for a few hours to let it finish drying. I keep forgetting to bring my ramps to lift up an end of it so it's easier to wash the underside, but I always try to give it a good wash under there. I haven't seen much rust, so I must be doing something right (mind you I've only had this truck since April). I've seen a lot of trucks of the same age with rust rings all around the wheels, so my trucks been lucky. I neet to take my truck to get the interior cleaned again. I had it done when I bought it, but I used it for my bee truck last summer, and had a container of honey explode in it, so it's kind of sticky. All I've done is vacume, and give the dash a baby wipe bath, so it's about time.
Car washes are lots of fun though.

LEAW

gosh, i'd just hose it down from as far away as possible on a day warmer than 32 so it doesn't glaze the car over in ice :)

i can hardly see out the side windows, i try to scrub them off when i'm at the gas station. and i need to put more air in the tires... but when it's 5* out and there is windchill and i'm so pregnant i can't zip my coat, well... you see where this is going!

lovinwaves

Well Patriot, I can answer ALL of your carwashing and detailing questions. My parents have been in the business for almost 30 years and I have grew up in and around it. I also help them out everyday! :)

Ok, so first of all DO NOT do it by hand at home. The salt, dirt and grime that are on your car need to come off by pressure washing. Also the soaps that you can buy in a store are NOT powerful enough to remove film or salt chemicals from your car. My parents use extremely expense high end soap to efficiently clean vehicles without hurting the body. If you handwash it then all you are doing is rubbing that dirt and salt into your paint and creating light to deep scratches. It is imperative that you keep your car's undercarriage clean in the winter. The salt and chemicals that they put on roadways is extremely harsh to your cars body and undercarriage.

I know you are afraid of automatic carwashes, but really you shouldn't be. Try to find one like my parents have which is a Touchless and Treddleless(sp?) carwash. That means nothing will touch your car, and you don't have to drive onto a ramp of any sort. You basically pull into the bay and a laser measures your car and how you are positioned in the bay to give you the most upclose and best washing. Really ANYBODY can do this. If you can park your car you can so easily do this. Also make sure that the automatic you go into it offers the undercarriage washing. That means, when you enter there are jets that blast the underneath of your car. The best carwashes do that with hot water and good soap. This method of washing should cost between $3-$10.

The other option you have is what some pp's referred to, the Self-Serve Carwash. Here you would drive into an open bay and handwash the car yourself with a wand. I caution you though, DO NOT use the foaming brush UNLESS it is made of real boar's hair and you do the following two things: #1 wash your car thoroughly with soap FIRST, #2 wash the head of the foambrush out with your wand with soap. I see so many people come in with extremely dirty cars and the first thing they do is use the foam brush on it!! :eek: All that is doing is rubbing the dirt and crime into your paint!! I have seen a beautiful black BMW come in and do this, and try to sue my parents for the scratches. But, the sign clearly states to wash down your car FIRST. Also, something people dont' know is that the foam that comes out of a foam brush is actually NOT cleaning your car. It is simply a lubricate to help glide the brush over your vehicle. ;) This method should cost between $1 to start and then add coins as needed. Probably around $3-$4 total.

A couple of tips:

1. In the winter after a carwash please use a drier (if available). This will help prevent your car's doors freezing shut on the way home. Another thing you can do is open and close your door on your way home at stop signs and stop lights to also prevent freezing.

2. Do NOT touch your vehicle's body/paint unless absolutely necessary. A carwash with good soap, hot water, and high pressure should sufficiently clean your vehicle. The only time you should touch your paint is when a film starts to develop. If that happens then first throughly clean your car then use a GOOD sponge or cloth to clean. Be sure and lubricate also to help it glide across the paint. Try to refrain from using swirling actions.

3. Do NOT use an automatic carwash everytime you wash your vehicle. This will end up developing a film overtime. Also do not use wax everytime you go in a automatic or self-serve wash. And don't expect a $10 automatic carwash to clean your car that hasn't seen a carwash in 6 mths. It just WON'T clean it. You will need to wash in the self-serve bay.

Ok, so PLEASE let me know if you have any more questions. I know all about Carwashing like I know back of my hand. :D

Last edited:

nisi

Senior Community Member
So I'm going to ask a stupid question... why are people afraid of the drive in car washes? My 2yo was a little freaked out at first, but that's because it's loud and she doesn't know what's going on. I don't understand what an adult has to be afraid of. :confused:

As for me, I love those PDQ type places, too. Especially in winter! The one I go to is a quick lube also, and they give you a free car wash with your oil change. It isn't quite as nice as PDQ (and by that I mean no snacks :p ) but it's essentially free since I need the oil changed anyway. The kids love watching the car through the big windows. And they did an excellent job the time I hit a skunk (though they insisted on changing the oil first, then washing, so those poor guys at the quick lube... :eek: )

lovinwaves

So I'm going to ask a stupid question... why are people afraid of the drive in car washes? My 2yo was a little freaked out at first, but that's because it's loud and she doesn't know what's going on. I don't understand what an adult has to be afraid of. :confused:

I think the main reason is because they are afraid of driving their car up onto a treadle of some sort. If their tires aren't exactlly right on then it can be bad. That is why my parents invested in the newest and greatest automatic made by PDQ. Now we have more customers than ever because there is NOTHING on the floor. You simply pull in and the automatic carwash measures your car. If for some reason you accidently pull WAY to far to the right or left then the carwash "arm" will *hit* your car, but it won't hurt it because it is ALL foam material. The automatic will then shut down until a tenant resets the machine. It's really no biggie though. It tends to happen with very big vehicles like an excursion van or very large Truck with extended mirrors. <-----This at least describes my parent's carwash. Not all carwashes of course offer this technology. :(

I would never go through a carwash where the washing arm or boom is NOT protected by some kind of foam.

southpawboston

Ok, so first of all DO NOT do it by hand at home. The salt, dirt and grime that are on your car need to come off by pressure washing. Also the soaps that you can buy in a store are NOT powerful enough to remove film or salt chemicals from your car. My parents use extremely expense high end soap to efficiently clean vehicles without hurting the body. If you handwash it then all you are doing is rubbing that dirt and salt into your paint and creating light to deep scratches.

i have friends who have been automotive detailers for years (one runs a detailing business), and they all say to avoid automatic carwashes and ONLY wash by hand... ?

plus, there is no automatic carwash that can clean in "hidden" places, like inside the door sills and door jambs. these are places you only see when you open the door. by handwashing, i can get into all those nooks and crannies. also, wheel rims with lots of spokes are very difficult to get clean by an automatic carwash, because they build up road film and brake dust film very easily. the only way to get wheels really clean is by hand, period.

also, forced-air drying the car will not prevent door seals from freezing in the winter. you have to open each door and wipe the door frame and seal dry, otherwise the door WILL freeze shut.

lovinwaves

i have friends who have been automotive detailers for years (one runs a detailing business), and they all say to avoid automatic carwashes and ONLY wash by hand... ?

hmmmmm....Well, I wouldn't necessarily recommend using an automatic carwash, but they are ok if you want to do a quick clean wash. I always say, "Automatic Carwashes are for clean cars, not dirty cars!" LOL I am kind of curious though why they would say to avoid Automatic Carwashes. If you wouldn't mind asking I would love to know :) Now, with that said there are definitely some I would completely avoid, but my parents automatics are perfectly fine to use (just not every single time, which a LOT of people do especially in the winter. I confess myself :p )

Anyways, my brother is a professional car painter (yes car obsessions run in our family). He also says it is important to refrain from touching your paint whenever possible. Getting your car "detailed" every year or twice a year is ok. Just make for dang sure they know what they are doing. The only thing I don't like is how they use swirling hand held tools for waxing (even my brother does this). You can always see the swirl marks, especially in darker colored vehicles. That isn't the way your car is painted. Your car is painted from side to side, so the swirling actually breaks off the tips of the peaks that are formed during the painting process. It is hard to explain unless I could show you a diagram.

I would definitely leave it up to a professional (like your friends in the detailing business) to do a surface handwash. They KNOW what they are doing and have the best materials and techniques for cleaning and removing films. I am not totally against this method of course, but I wouldn't recommmend it to someone at home because of lack of proper equipment. Does that make sense? LOL :)

lovinwaves

plus, there is no automatic carwash that can clean in "hidden" places, like inside the door sills and door jambs. these are places you only see when you open the door.

Yes, and this is why I said to NOT use an automatic carwash everytime.

by handwashing, i can get into all those nooks and crannies. also, wheel rims with lots of spokes are very difficult to get clean by an automatic carwash, because they build up road film and brake dust film very easily. the only way to get wheels really clean is by hand, period.

Yes very very true! There is no way soap and pressure alone will clean wheels and a bad film on a car. You will need to use friction when cleaning sometimes, wheels especially. I handwash my vehicles once or twice a year, and I ALWAYS handbrush clean my wheels when I self-serve wash. At a self-serve bay you have the wand as your tool, so you ARE able to get in nooks and crannies (ok, that is a funny word :p ), but hand washing is great if you know what you are doing and have the proper materials.

also, forced-air drying the car will not prevent door seals from freezing in the winter. you have to open each door and wipe the door frame and seal dry, otherwise the door WILL freeze shut.

Yes, and this is why I said above this will only HELP prevent freezing. It will not completely eliminate the possibility. If you can get out for a brief second and wipe down your door jam that is also helpful. I have found though it depends on the vehicles, and also just because it is 32 degrees doesn't mean you are going to have a problem with your door freezing shut on the way home.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Well Patriot, I can answer ALL of your carwashing and detailing questions. My parents have been in the business for almost 30 years and I have grew up in and around it. I also help them out everyday! :)

Ok, so first of all DO NOT do it by hand at home. The salt, dirt and grime that are on your car need to come off by pressure washing. Also the soaps that you can buy in a store are NOT powerful enough to remove film or salt chemicals from your car. My parents use extremely expense high end soap to efficiently clean vehicles without hurting the body. If you handwash it then all you are doing is rubbing that dirt and salt into your paint and creating light to deep scratches. It is imperative that you keep your car's undercarriage clean in the winter. The salt and chemicals that they put on roadways is extremely harsh to your cars body and undercarriage.

I know you are afraid of automatic carwashes, but really you shouldn't be. Try to find one like my parents have which is a Touchless and Treddleless(sp?) carwash. That means nothing will touch your car, and you don't have to drive onto a ramp of any sort. You basically pull into the bay and a laser measures your car and how you are positioned in the bay to give you the most upclose and best washing. Really ANYBODY can do this. If you can park your car you can so easily do this. Also make sure that the automatic you go into it offers the undercarriage washing. That means, when you enter there are jets that blast the underneath of your car. The best carwashes do that with hot water and good soap. This method of washing should cost between $3-$10.

The other option you have is what some pp's referred to, the Self-Serve Carwash. Here you would drive into an open bay and handwash the car yourself with a wand. I caution you though, DO NOT use the foaming brush UNLESS it is made of real boar's hair and you do the following two things: #1 wash your car thoroughly with soap FIRST, #2 wash the head of the foambrush out with your wand with soap. I see so many people come in with extremely dirty cars and the first thing they do is use the foam brush on it!! :eek: All that is doing is rubbing the dirt and crime into your paint!! I have seen a beautiful black BMW come in and do this, and try to sue my parents for the scratches. But, the sign clearly states to wash down your car FIRST. Also, something people dont' know is that the foam that comes out of a foam brush is actually NOT cleaning your car. It is simply a lubricate to help glide the brush over your vehicle. ;) This method should cost between $1 to start and then add coins as needed. Probably around $3-$4 total.

A couple of tips:

1. In the winter after a carwash please use a drier (if available). This will help prevent your car's doors freezing shut on the way home. Another thing you can do is open and close your door on your way home at stop signs and stop lights to also prevent freezing.

2. Do NOT touch your vehicle's body/paint unless absolutely necessary. A carwash with good soap, hot water, and high pressure should sufficiently clean your vehicle. The only time you should touch your paint is when a film starts to develop. If that happens then first throughly clean your car then use a GOOD sponge or cloth to clean. Be sure and lubricate also to help it glide across the paint. Try to refrain from using swirling actions.

3. Do NOT use an automatic carwash everytime you wash your vehicle. This will end up developing a film overtime. Also do not use wax everytime you go in a automatic or self-serve wash. And don't expect a $10 automatic carwash to clean your car that hasn't seen a carwash in 6 mths. It just WON'T clean it. You will need to wash in the self-serve bay.

Ok, so PLEASE let me know if you have any more questions. I know all about Carwashing like I know back of my hand. :D

THANK YOU!!!!

I need to find one of those automated carwashes where you don't have to drive onto a ramp. The ramps are what scares me. My car got STUCK in one of those one time because there was a metal bar sticking out of the ramp that got around the wheel. I couldn't get the car to move. It was REALLY scary!!!! I was SO upset because I kept hearing metal scrape on metal. My car was only a couple months old at the time. :( :(

lovinwaves

THANK YOU!!!!

I need to find one of those automated carwashes where you don't have to drive onto a ramp. The ramps are what scares me. My car got STUCK in one of those one time because there was a metal bar sticking out of the ramp that got around the wheel. I couldn't get the car to move. It was REALLY scary!!!! I was SO upset because I kept hearing metal scrape on metal. My car was only a couple months old at the time. :( :(

HOLY MOLY Patriot!! You poor thing I can't even imagine!

Yes, try finding one that is ramp-free! You can also see if there is an attendant there. Just say to them this is your first time and you just need help learning how this particular carwash works. Once you do it you will be whizzing in and out of there. I promise ;) I think getting past your fear is the first thing! :)

beeman

What is with these car washes with the ramps. I've never seen one in Saskatoon. All the carwashes are the touchless ones you just park in. The last time I saw a carwash with the brushes that whip was when I was about six. I've always liked the carwash. When I was a kid we used to forget what colour our car was because it was muddy so long, so it was real exciting to go to get the car washed.

lovinwaves

What is with these car washes with the ramps. I've never seen one in Saskatoon. All the carwashes are the touchless ones you just park in. The last time I saw a carwash with the brushes that whip was when I was about six. I've always liked the carwash. When I was a kid we used to forget what colour our car was because it was muddy so long, so it was real exciting to go to get the car washed.

Your confusing a tunnel wash with an Automatic carwash. A tunnel wash does have ramps to pull the vehicle through. Those typically use some type of friction.

An Automatic wash can have ramps or can be ramp-less. Also, it may have brushes, or brush-less. There are many varations. More than likely though the Automatic Car washes in your area all have ramps.....:(

beeman

OK, what I'm calling the automatic carwash is the one you drive into and sends the wand all around your vehicle, and then you drive forward into the dryer. Now I've never seen anything like a "tunnel wash" that pulls you through, nor have I seen any with a ramp.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC