What can I say?

mamahen

So I'm a labor and delivery nurse. I dont generally see patients as they're leaving but I was helping someone out the other day and part of that includes a rough look at their carseat and how they put the infant in. I know that I cant put them in the seat myself but other than that what am I allowed to say? In this particular instance it was a seat, I dont remember the brand, that had a manufactured date of jan/00 so I told them it was expired and that they would need a new seat STAT and put them in contact with a local resource for seats. Is that OK to say? All seats have SOME expiration date right? (which btw, why dont they all just put that on there so more people would realize there IS one- like my Chicco)

ADS

Raegansmom4

Good catch! I doubt they would encounter anyone else that would notice that for them, and the consequences could be terrible in an accident.

MoreLatte

As a NICU nurse, we do a lot of carseat education. I always point out expired carseats. You did the right thing:thumbsup:

mommy-medic

Well, I don't see why you couldn't say something along the lines of "have you guys had any carseat training?" and when they say no, run through the basics with them. You absolutely did the right thing! :thumbsup:

Can you order those USAA pamphlets and give those out to new parents? Or even have them on a stand or shelf in the hallway or lounge? Those are really good to give out- we use them at the fire dept. They don't promote ERFing as much as I would like, but they cover the basics and have tons of pictures. People usually pay more attention to pictures than actual words :rolleyes:

DahliaRW

I would think you're fine saying whatever you need to, as long as you don't actually touch the seat or child.

mamahen

Thanks! I forwarded the link to my manager. They're now ordering some pamphlets and sending me to CPST training :thumbsup: someday when there's more money they'll make a 20hr/wk position just for seat checks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

henrietta

Thanks! I forwarded the link to my manager. They're now ordering some pamphlets and sending me to CPST training :thumbsup: someday when there's more money they'll make a 20hr/wk position just for seat checks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's an excellent outcome! WTG!

henrietta

Kat_Momof3

that's awesome! in the meantime, definitely make sure that new parents get a pamphlet and a referral to a good tech.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC