Sienna question: seatbelt attached to seat?

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
This is one of the things that's worrying me: the 2nd-row passenger shoulder belt comes out from the seat. It is not attached to the car. Since these seats fold up, come out, etc, then I'm concerned that it's not safe *not* to have the seatbelt bolted to the car somehow rather than just to the seat. I'm sure the engineers have tested it, etc.

Anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks!

Oh, also, can I add another rear tether to the third row?

ADS

sirrahn

I have an 8 passenger so my seat with the integrated seatbelt is the center one. Although it is smaller than the other 2 middle row seats, it is *heavy*. I was told that was because of its being reinforced to hold the seatbelt. I assume that the passenger side seat in the 7 passenger is similar. Really if you think about it, you want yourself coupled with the seat anyway, not so much as the vehicle frame.

No you cannot add a 3rd tether anchor to the back row. HTH!

canadianmom2three

My van also has seatbelts attached to the 2nd row (modular) seating. I got to see firsthand just the other day where they are attached - and really I was expecting something more - they are held on by one bolt through a piece of the metal seat frame...Although I've never really seen how belts are attached to the frame of the car, so perhaps it is just the same.

Dawn

Not that it is really relavent but Chevy and GMC has a lot of there SUV seatbelts designed this way. My dh Volvo wagon is this way as well. I never really questioned it.
There was a recall on 04 and 05(not positive) Sienna's for the seatbelt. If you own one I would be sure it was corrected. It was a small piece that they fixed during an oil change.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Not that it is really relavent but Chevy and GMC has a lot of there SUV seatbelts designed this way. My dh Volvo wagon is this way as well. I never really questioned it.
There was a recall on 04 and 05(not positive) Sienna's for the seatbelt. If you own one I would be sure it was corrected. It was a small piece that they fixed during an oil change.

I think that the Chevy/GMC's are still bolted to the car frame and just comes through the seat...? Or is it actually just attached to the seat frame itself?

So I feel hypocritical here, advocating that parents trust the engineers/manufacturers of child seats and car seat belts to work properly, and then I question what they're doing...! :p

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Thanks for the pictures ;) Yes, that's very similar what the Sienna belt looks like on the 2nd-row passenger's seat - not sure how they look in the 3rd-row...

ktmo

We have an 07 Sienna and the third row seatbelts are attached to the sides of the car, not the seat. It is just the passenger side captains chair that does this in ours. I think it is because you can move it to the center position. I thought about the safety aspect of it too.

Katie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC