Radian 65 and long-belt path install?

JaRylan

Hi,
Has anyone tried installing a Radian using a long-belt/reverse/serpentine install? I know that it hasn't been tested by SKJP, so it can't be used...but was wondering if using this alternate install would solve any of the install problems people are having. I think I remember someone saying they think they could have gotten a better install if they could have used it. If it did help (and not to suggest anyone should use it), SKJP could be sent requests to test the seat using this install and maybe they would. Just a thought.

ADS

LuvBug

we arent certain they didnt test it and it just didnt pass. but I definitely think they should be written about it. Ive heard 2 people try it and one it would have solved their issue, the other it got it closer to ok but still not. Here is strollerfreak's youtube clip of when she tried it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=gLCHXnbJmYw

becca011906

Senior Community Member
i think it would help a lot, just by looking at make of it... i don't have a regent and never installed it so i can't compair it, but i think anything would help the radian! LOL

canadianmom2three

It was me that said it would solve my problem, and I did try it, but obviously took it back apart. I would be very interested to know if this would ever be allowed...

JaRylan

According to Russ they haven't tested it.

Jacqui,

We have not tested using that belt routing, but maybe that’s something we can look at trying in the future.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Russ

scatterbunny

Ooohh, maybe I'll send him a note, too! I have a frustrating problem, a forward-of-the-bight seatbelt, which makes carseat installation awful. Since the belt does not come out of the vehicle seat bight (crease) like most belts do, it comes out of a "hole" in the vehicle seating area itself. This means that side of the carseat is always looser and farther away from the vehicle seatback than the other side.

The only way to safely install a seat there is with the reverse belt path. We had a Futura there and it was perfect. The Husky is there now, with the long belt path/lapbelt-only, even though they changed the rules years ago and said you can't do that anymore. It's the only way I can get it in solidly. I have it top-tethered and am secure in my installation, but I would not recommend others do this (go against manufacturer instructions).

All seats should be tested with the reverse belt path. :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe a few of us can barrage his booth at Lifesavers, steal a seat, and go install it on someone else's test bench, so he can see how great it is? :D

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Ok so i'm kinda confused... i guess not ever getting a regent is why... but how would the sholder blet come out???

LuvBug

like this
225353189.jpg

Splash

I wrote him several times asking about it, and he always avoided the issue. He would write me back, but never give me a straight answer about the belt path.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
thanks for the pic LuvBug! I know i've seen it before but i couldn't really picture it on my radian... hummm you would think they might have been thinking along those lines to have but thoes pic 'slots' belt acess things in it???

LuvBug

yeah the way that you can access the latch through the sides makes you think they might have been thinking about the LBP when designing it... but they may have just been thinking about how the seatbelts on a plane are and the whole folding thing and such.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
Maybe we need to start writing to get some answers... i think this would really help get a tighter install in my land rover (buckle part is a forward the seat bright) and my intrepid it doesn't install well at all with seat belt...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I too was curious about this kind of install so out I went to my Dodge Grand Caravan. I installed the seat with the LBP in the 3rd row (50/50 split bench) in the outboard position. The seatbelts are forward of the seat crease... they actually come out of a hole in the seat forward of the crease, so it is not possible to get even a remotely tight install using the seatbelt.

Well, I installed it using the LBP and it is in there rock solid! Why oh why can we not use this install method? Yes, I know the answer, it has not been tested this way... and I took it out and put it back in my captains chair using LATCH and it is rock solid again and installed correctly. But seriously, if they would test the seat using the LBP method and allow us to install that way, that would virtually eliminate all of the install issues and make this a fantastic seat! I would also be able to take it to Disney with us without worrying if it's going to install in the shuttle van correctly! :mad: Guess I'll be taking the MA and dealing with the install issues on the plane.:rolleyes:

I'm going to ask SKJP this the next time I talk to them. Maybe if enough people start asking, they will start listening.

Jen in Canada
Aiden FF in RN
Mikkel RF in MA

P.S. The seat was in rock solid. I noticed Janet's install still moved some, but my seat would not even budge!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC