SKJP Monterey $89.99(CND)

ADS

thrillhouse

I bought one today for my 6.5 yo. It's his first booster and I'm glad he likes it! He was over the top slots in his Radian, which is ok according to the manual (up to an inch above.) But with the Monterey on sale almost half price I figured it's a good time to move to a booster. He sits well in it and it fits him great. He's 57 lbs.
I bought this one at e-children in Winnipeg. The floor model says it's 179.99 but if you ask about the 2009 models and mention their web price of $99.99 they will sell you one for that price if they still have 2009 models downstairs. I don't know how many they have left, but I love the red one. It's a great seat. Almost seems too good to be true, is there some reason they are so cheap everywhere? Other than being a year old? It won't expire until he is 11.5 so hopefully he can use it that long.

thrillhouse

What is the 2010 model like? I think the only thing could improve it would be to add the slide guard that the parkway has...

In any case, I'm very happy with my purchase!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What is the 2010 model like? I think the only thing could improve it would be to add the slide guard that the parkway has...

I have a Parkway SG and a Monterey.. Adding the SG "feature" to the Monterey wouldn't be an improvement, IMO. Inconvenience..now that would be a better "i" word..

-Nicole.

selinajean

I have a Parkway SG and a Monterey.. Adding the SG "feature" to the Monterey wouldn't be an improvement, IMO. Inconvenience..now that would be a better "i" word..

-Nicole.

You don't like it? I'm still in a toss up btwn these two seats for James so I would love to hear details.

QuassEE

Aiden pitches a fit trying to get out of the seat.. at his size and age, he absolutely doesn't need the SG. It's supposed to be for submarining, which is seen under 40lbs/in children who are too small to be in a booster in the first place. Uh huh.

-N.

selinajean

Aiden pitches a fit trying to get out of the seat.. at his size and age, he absolutely doesn't need the SG. It's supposed to be for submarining, which is seen under 40lbs/in children who are too small to be in a booster in the first place. Uh huh.

-N.

Right, but then it is the tallest booster so therefore the best option for taller kids. :confused: The belt guard isn't removable? (Or, you can't use the seat without it?)

QuassEE

Britax's original position on the SG was that it was mandatory. They more recently changed this requirement and it is now optional. I suspect all Canadian ones have the optional wording, although my SG is American.

Yes, it's the tallest HBB on the market (as far as I'm aware..?) But in reality.. I can't see a child that has outgrown the Monterey's maximum height needing a booster at all, in most vehicles. I think that extra height might be overkill. My 5 and a half foot tall son was even with the seatbelt guides on the Monterey, 18m or so ago. He was actually so tall at that point that if he sat in his brother's LBB, he was too tall for the rear seatbelts in our van!

So yes, it's the tallest booster on the market.. but I'm not sure I give Britax any points for that match.

-Nicole.

thrillhouse

-N.

Thank you for this, it's very helpful. I was looking at the britax today too, but I'm glad I went with the Monterey. My son is certainly large enough that I won't worry about submarining anyhow.

selinajean

Britax's original position on the SG was that it was mandatory. They more recently changed this requirement and it is now optional. I suspect all Canadian ones have the optional wording, although my SG is American.

Yes, it's the tallest HBB on the market (as far as I'm aware..?) But in reality.. I can't see a child that has outgrown the Monterey's maximum height needing a booster at all, in most vehicles. I think that extra height might be overkill. My 5 and a half foot tall son was even with the seatbelt guides on the Monterey, 18m or so ago. He was actually so tall at that point that if he sat in his brother's LBB, he was too tall for the rear seatbelts in our van!

So yes, it's the tallest booster on the market.. but I'm not sure I give Britax any points for that match.

-Nicole.

Thanks Nicole. That helps a lot actually. Your son is taller than me now! LOL! So I think that James will be just fine in the Monterey. He will be 8 in April and even with only 4 years left on the sale models I think that will get him past the need for a booster. He seems to be built like D, not me thankfully so I hope that by 10 or 11 he should be fitting the belt properly.

(And it converts to a backless booster too, right? The SG doesn't if I remember correctly which could be another set back for an older child.)

QuassEE

Bingo :)

Here are some photos:

This is my son, at almost 13...where his shoulder was relative to the guide:
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/Monterey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPHW_eSGwPaOoQE#5251647294867329810

Here's the same son:
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/Monterey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPHW_eSGwPaOoQE#5251647275279494130

He was approximately 5'6" and a few months shy of 13 at the time. This is the Monterey :)

My other son (2 years younger, 1/2 a foot shorter, and nearing the end of his booster-using days:)
http://picasaweb.google.com/QuassEE/Monterey?authkey=Gv1sRgCPHW_eSGwPaOoQE#5251646123555574770

Here's a comparison of the Parkway, Oobr, and Monterey heights:
http://carseatblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/IMG_2253-300x225.jpg

If you haven't read the blog entry on Oobr/Parkway/Monterey:
http://carseatblog.com/?p=4741

-Nicole.

hipmaman

I'll chime in to say that even the SG is the tallest dedicated booster, when a child is older and more mature, the option of converting it to a LBB.

My son is a tallish, long torso 8.75 yrs old (he will be 9 in May :) ) and still sit well in the Monterey.

P1050998.JPG

I just like the seating area and how he fits in the Monterey better than the PWSG. We have kept one old PW for him to use as a carpool HBB if necessary, but I didn't feel like I need to buy the PWSG when looking for a booster last summer.

BudgieStew

Anyone know why the sale price went back up to 99.99 for all the stores.
Baby Safety Store looks like it is sold out of the old models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC