Buying 2 new seats-opinions please :)

jessi f

I have a 3 1/2 year old and an almost 6 month old. My 3 year old is currently riding in a triumph advance and he has several inches and a few lbs left in it but it is getting ready to expire :( I'm leaning towards a Nautilus for him. I sat him in one in target and he fit really well in it with alot of harness room left. I saw in the report from the IIHS that it isnt listed as one of their top picks for a booster but I am mainly interested in keeping him harnessed longer. If it doesnt fit him well when the time comes and I have to buy another booster I'm ok with that. I'm looking at the True Fit for my six month old but no stores around here carry them so I'll have to order it without seeing one in person first. She is tall and slim like her brother so far so I like that it seems to be one of the taller convertibles. I'm hoping that she will be small enough to leave the headrest off for awhile until she can ride with a little bit steeper of an angle in the seat to allow for more room for the passenger seat. How do you know when they are ready for that? She has good head control and is starting to be able to sit up by herself. I drive a 2001 Kia Sportage so I dont have tons of room and would love to hear from anyone who has fit these seats in one. Also I dont have the manuel for my car and it doesnt have latch so Ive allways assumed it doesnt have top tether anchors. How would I find about getting some put in? Sorry this is so long! Any input is appreciated :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
HI there. No EFTA's are expiring yet, they only came out a few years ago.

The Nautilus would work well for your son if he's forward facing. Otherwise if he has weight same height rear facing I'd leave him in it.

Your six month old should be fine more upright. As long as they can lift their heads off their chests in their sleep they're good. My 5 month old is probably nearly fully upright at the max at 35 degrees. But she can sit very well unassisted, so your babe may want closer to 40.

Wendy

jessi f

Oops, youre right! It is just the old triumph that goes to 40 lbs. Ive been shopping new seats so much the "advance" part is stuck in my head....

My son has been forward facing for awhile. I hadnt done much research on it and just moved him when he was "old enough". He is almost 40 lbs now and so I wouldnt be able to rearface him very long so with the new seat I'm looking for a taller harness. I want to keep my daughter rear-faced until she maxxes out her seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a long thin baby I'd look at the True Fit, then the Safety 1st Complete Air, then the Radians. The EFTA and Graco My Ride would be lower on the list for taller kids.

The Nautilus, or an Evenflo Maestro, would work wonderfully for you. Or a Britax Frontier.

Where did you get the Triumph from if it's expiring? And I thought Evenflos were December of the sixth year, so it either would have months, or just have expired. I might be wrong on that, though.

Wendy

jessi f

The triumph was given to me by a friend that had barely used it in their extra car. I think it does actually have a few months left to 6 years but the cover is wearing out and since it's had 2 homes it makes it seem a little older to me. Plus Ive got budget approval from the hubby for new seats when we get our tax return and I dont want to miss my window ;)

We wont have a seat for my son in our second car so we will be switching one of the new seats over for him every now and then. That car doesnt have locking seat belts or latch. Am I right in thinking the "lock off" on the true fit is to use instead of a locking clip? Or would I be able to use the middle lap belt for the Nautilus?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC