musical carseats

NannyMom

I'm trying to reconfigure seats. This is what we have:
*My van: TFP- must stay, I like the arb for her primary vehicle
*DH's Durango: EFTA- for the knobs....but they are wedged in anyway :rolleyes:
*Grandma's car: Marathon- must be center as per grandma. No one can fit outboard next to the carseats, except great grandma who is skinny and petite. Front seats must be all the way back.
*Grandpa's CRV: Boulevard- must be center as per grandma. I hate seatbelt installs center. The BV works because of the lockoffs. Not sure why I seem to have issues with his seatbelt. No center latch.
*SIL's car/ back up: My Ride. I usually install outboard latch. I like the MR for them because it's easy to loosen/tighten if needed. But I could also consider a Britax because it's easy to install with latch.

I was trying to sell my extra TF. I really really don't think I'll be using the MA and BV FF, so I think I should sell one of those instead. So....where do I put what seats?

I really wanted to put the TF in Grandpa's CRV, but have been unsuccessful (though I haven't given up yet). Then put the BV in Grandma's car, and sell the MA. But if the TF doesn;t work out....I need a plan B.

I doubt the TF would work in Grandma's car. She has really long buckle stalks, and with it twisted 3 times, I think it would still be in the way of the MA lockoffs (if I locked that side). It's a lap belt. And with a seat wider than the MA, I think the entire backseat would be useless :rolleyes: And even if I bought a RN....Bookmama has told me it won;t work with the front seats all the way back.

I could try the TF in DH's Durango. But we may have a long buckle stalk problem again, not sure. Maybe since he's learned not to loosen/tighten every time, he'll be ok with a strap instead of the knobs (he has an arm injury that has reduced his strength). Then move the EFTA to Grandpa's CRV (it would fit great in Grandma's....but again, it's wider). But it doesn't have lockoffs, and I fear the seatbelt install :eek: If they would just let me put the TF outboard with latch :rolleyes:

Or I could try the TF as the SIL/back up. And try the MR in the CRV. Or the MR for DH and the EFTA in the CRV.

any thoughts?

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

I think you should concentrate on getting the TF worked out in Grandpa's car. What's the problem? Just can't get the belt tight enough? Have you tried it with someone helping (an extra set of hands? It can be difficult to hold the belt tight while fighting to get the lockoff closed.

As plan B, try the EFTA, maybe with locking clip.

NannyMom

I think you should concentrate on getting the TF worked out in Grandpa's car. What's the problem? Just can't get the belt tight enough? Have you tried it with someone helping (an extra set of hands? It can be difficult to hold the belt tight while fighting to get the lockoff closed.

As plan B, try the EFTA, maybe with locking clip.

When I get the belt tight, the darn belt is IN the lockoffs. If I put the seat more upright to keep the belt out, the latchplate is in the lockoffs (even with the stalk twisted 2-3 times, as much as it can twist). Someone upstairs says she did it. I'm waiting for her response to this problem. I did have my Dad hold the buckle stalk for me, to try and keep the belt out of the lockoffs. I will try again.... but Dad needed his car back after an hour of trying today.

NannyMom

You mean that the belt gets in the way of closing the lockoff?

Yes. I should have taken pics, but didn't :( It slides right down into the area the red lock would turn. Sometimes half the belt, sometimes just a sliver.

Pixels

I have that happen on mine, too. Buckle the belt. Get it aligned with the lockoffs how you want (belt as far from the red lock as possible). "Close" the red lock, leaving the yellow lever open. The red lock will help hold the belt back. Tighten the belt a bit, watching the belt. As it slides toward the red lock, stop tightening and move the belt back up. Tighten more, stopping as necessary to adjust the belt.

Alternatively, try to install halfway between reclined and more upright. Maybe you can find a sweet spot where it won't slip into the lockoff nor hit the latchplate.

What about trying to move the whole seat to the side away from the buckle?

NannyMom

I have that happen on mine, too. Buckle the belt. Get it aligned with the lockoffs how you want (belt as far from the red lock as possible). "Close" the red lock, leaving the yellow lever open. The red lock will help hold the belt back. Tighten the belt a bit, watching the belt. As it slides toward the red lock, stop tightening and move the belt back up. Tighten more, stopping as necessary to adjust the belt.

Alternatively, try to install halfway between reclined and more upright. Maybe you can find a sweet spot where it won't slip into the lockoff nor hit the latchplate.

What about trying to move the whole seat to the side away from the buckle?

I;ve tried all that...except I haven't found that sweet spot yet ;) I think I got closest (but still jsut over 1 inch movement) when I had 1 pool noodle.... but it was so far away from the seat bight, I was afraid it would move and the seat would be loose. I've also been trying with a towel rolled, and unrolling it bits to find the sweet spot....but ran out of time.

It looks like the other poster has the TF right next to the buckle stalk, I'll have to try that instead of pushing it further away.

Pixels

I've gotten better at installing it with practice, but often when I first install, it's too loose. I use the lockoffs to my advantage to get it tighter.

Buckle and close the lockoff on the buckle side, leaving a few inches of slack in the belt. Concentrate solely on the lap belt portion on the other side. Push down on just that side of the seat, and get the belts arranged in the lockoff how you want. Close that lockoff. You'll have a bubble of belt in the middle of the two lockoffs.

Now concentrate on the buckle side lockoff. Open the lockoff, push down on that side of the seat, pull the lap belt tight, arrange the belt in the lockoffs. Close lockoff. Now all of the lap belt is tight, and there's a bubble only in the shoulder belt between the lockoffs. Reopen the first (non-buckle side) lockoff, take the slack out of the shoulder belt, and reclose the lockoff.

NannyMom

I've gotten better at installing it with practice, but often when I first install, it's too loose. I use the lockoffs to my advantage to get it tighter.

Buckle and close the lockoff on the buckle side, leaving a few inches of slack in the belt. Concentrate solely on the lap belt portion on the other side. Push down on just that side of the seat, and get the belts arranged in the lockoff how you want. Close that lockoff. You'll have a bubble of belt in the middle of the two lockoffs.

Now concentrate on the buckle side lockoff. Open the lockoff, push down on that side of the seat, pull the lap belt tight, arrange the belt in the lockoffs. Close lockoff. Now all of the lap belt is tight, and there's a bubble only in the shoulder belt between the lockoffs. Reopen the first (non-buckle side) lockoff, take the slack out of the shoulder belt, and reclose the lockoff.

I sort of did that a little. Sounds like I could have done it better. I'll give it a try next weekend.

Joyofbirth

My friend had this problem with her TF. I just put it in, pushed the seat down and tightened as much as I could. Then when I was going to close the lock-offs. I pressed the seat (on the sidewall thingy)at the bight with one hand just a little and pushed the seatbelt toward the seat bight and closed the lock-off. Her seatbelt has a locking latchplate, so it was locked where I had originally tightened it and the seatbelt didn't shift. So once I moved the seatbelt out of the lock-off I let go of the side of the seat, still holding the seatbelt up and then closed the lock-off. Does that make any sense?

NannyMom

My friend had this problem with her TF. I just put it in, pushed the seat down and tightened as much as I could. Then when I was going to close the lock-offs. I pressed the seat (on the sidewall thingy)at the bight with one hand just a little and pushed the seatbelt toward the seat bight and closed the lock-off. Her seatbelt has a locking latchplate, so it was locked where I had originally tightened it and the seatbelt didn't shift. So once I moved the seatbelt out of the lock-off I let go of the side of the seat, still holding the seatbelt up and then closed the lock-off. Does that make any sense?

That's a little confusing :confused: Or maybe my brain doesn't want to function. But it sounds like it would work better with a locking latchplate like you had. The CRV doesn't.

I had this problem when installing it at 45* in my van (for a younger BabyS). But I managed to install it. I will give it another try. But I may also try the MR with locking clip.

Joyofbirth

Sorry, I thought it mightg be confusing but could not figure out how to simplify my explanation. That's a fault of mine. Sorry. I think you're right that method requires a locking latchplate to work. I wish I couldn've been more help. The TF is my new favorite seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC