Question I scored a brand new Regent for $136, what do I need to know about it?

mlohry

So today we went browsing for a convertible seat for DD who is turning one and stumbled upon a brand new Regent at a local baby store for $136 that we will be using for our 7 year old DS. He was currently in a Nati but has just outgrown the harness ht. so we had been boostering him, but I really wanted to keep in the 5pt harness so this will be awesome as he is right at the 2nd to the highest hole. The saleslady thought he would get at least another year out of it and then we can pass it on to our now 5 year old. We are going to be installing it in the 3rd row passenger side of our 2005 Honda Odyssey. The best part about this seat is that my DH will be able to use it in his lap belt only old Impala so my DS can go criusing this Summer. I had posted recently about what to do because DS had outgrown the Nati and that is what we used last year. I will attempt to post a pix of the Regent later. Is there anything I need to know about this seat and installing it?

ADS

Raegansmom4

under 40 lbs, long belt path; over 40 lbs short belt path; recline bar is a must; top tether is a must (over 50 lbs? maybe over 40). When installing, I pushed it down and back into the vehicle seat and got it rock solid.

mlohry

My DS turned 7 the end of November. He weighs about 49lbs is 48 inches tall and if I did it right his torso is 16 inches long. How long do you think I will get out of this seat with him at this size? I really hope you say another 10 years, that will get him almost to driving his own car!! LOL

mlohry

So obviously a 71 Impala is not going to have recommendations for securing the top tether. Do we attempt to find a piece of metal to secure the tether? I am sure it will not be 100% approved, but it is better than a lap belt situation. The Impala is only occasionally used in the Summer on the weekends, it will maybe be used 10 times in a year.

Raegansmom4

So obviously a 71 Impala is not going to have recommendations for securing the top tether. Do we attempt to find a piece of metal to secure the tether? I am sure it will not be 100% approved, but it is better than a lap belt situation. The Impala is only occasionally used in the Summer on the weekends, it will maybe be used 10 times in a year.

You can't really create a top tether location. I'm not even sure if you can get a top tether retrofitted in a vintage car - I'm really doubting it. You can't have it untethered over 50 lbs (I just checked my manual). In fact, the Regent didn't do the hottest in testing, that's why there are so many "rules" for it. I would never recommend using it without the top tether.

mlohry

Well good to know about the top tether. Maybe we will have to come up with another idea. Is this not a very good seat? Someone said it did not do real hot in testing?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The only safe ways to transport a child (in a lap-belt-only vehicle) who has outgrown a Nautilus would be a Regent or a vest/harness and both require a tether anchor. The upcoming Frontier85 may have higher harness slots, but it may also require a tether. Lap-belt-only cars, especially if you are not willing to modify them, are just not very safe for kids.

Raegansmom4

Well good to know about the top tether. Maybe we will have to come up with another idea. Is this not a very good seat? Someone said it did not do real hot in testing?

I didn't mean to make you worry. I have a Regent for my oldest (who is really big for a 4 yo). The Regent didn't do as well tethered as the Radian and Graco Nautilus did untethered, which is a bit of a concern but still marginally passable. But, one must factor in that it is a monster of a seat, so it will probably not perform exactly the same as a "typical" seat. I definitely feel it is safer than a booster your child is not ready to use. My 4 yo would not be mature enough for a booster, so she is safer in the Regent by far.

mlohry

So for opinions sake is my 7 year old better off in his Nati as a booster or the Regent harnessed? I can return the Regent if this was not a good buy.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
With a shoulder belt and assuming proper fit and use, I'd choose the Nauti as a booster, but that's a personal choice. If the Regent is also properly used (tethered), they are both valid choices.

If there is only a lap belt and no top tether, neither are safe.

mlohry

Well maybe we will be returning the Regent, should have read more info. 1st it seemed like a good buy. I think I will check into the EZ-On 86Y harness it says it can be used with any booster for the Impala.

Raegansmom4

I'd really do some reading on the 86Y harness. I believe it may require a top tether. Even though it claims to work with any booster, I believe there are a couple of boosters that say you cannot use it with their booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC