Need to buy new seat for 2 yo

minniem

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me. I need to buy a new carseat and I'm not sure what to get. I have 4 children who are seated in my 06 Odyssey. My oldest is 7 1/2 and in a backless booster in the middle row passenger side. My youngest is 4 mos RF in a graco safeseat, in the 2nd row driver side. My middle kids are both in the 3rd row, one is 4 years, 10 mos FF in a britax frontier and the other one is 2 years, 3 mos, 27lbs, 36" FF in a britax boulevard.

I know the 2 year old is safer RF, but it's hard to configure in my car. My oldest has a lot of motion sickness which makes it really tough for him to ride in the 3rd row.

I need to buy a new seat for when my youngest is out of the graco. Right now he is about 20 lbs so he's a big baby. I was thinking to get another boulevard for him, or to get a frontier for my 2 year old and pass her boulevard on to him.

I'd like to say price was no object, but in this day and age with 4 kids it is in our family. So I'd like to get the most bang for my buck (hence the thinking to get my 2 yo a frontier so it would last her a long time).

Any thoughts on any other seats that would meet my needs better? I've been reading through old posts and I do think this site is really helpful.

Thanks!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi, welcome to the site!

As the mom of a 28 month old who is rear-facing, I have to admit that my primary suggestion is to work to find a solution so that your 27 month old is rear-facing again. :)

I think an easy short-term solution, since you have a Safeseat that should last your baby until at least 12-18 months, is to move the baby to the third row and put your 2 year old rear-facing in the 2nd row. I think it would be easy to put the Safeseat into its base in the third row (even if you get to the point where you leave it in the car because it's too heavy to cart around, you could always quickly take it out of the base, then put the baby in it, then put it back in the base.)

I think that plan should last you until your 2 year old is about 3 years old. Maybe by then, you'll be able to reconfigure your seats, and you could look at another seat with a higher rear-facing limit like a Graco My Ride, Safety 1st Complete Air, or one of the Radian models. You could then rear-face her in one of those seats until hopefully around 4 years old and pass the Boulevard down to your youngest.

If after your baby outgrows the Safeseat, you don't feel you have a suitable way to rear-face 2 kids with your limitations from your oldest's motion sickness, you still would have provided your 2 year old with some more rear-facing time in the meanwhile. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC