Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4...

mom2juliarose

So DH is car shopping. He's looking at all 3 of these vehicles. He's getting rid of his '97 (1st generation) CR-V. I have a 2005 (2nd generation) CR-V.

After some car shopping today, he found good deals on a Certified pre-owned Nissan Rogue (1 year old, 10,000 miles) and a 2007 (3rd generation) CR-V. He's also looking around at the Toyota RAV-4s...

He'll be heading out tomorrow again to some other dealerships (he's working tonight)... but I'd love any info any of you might have either experience-wise or statistic-wise with any of these cars.

I'm not sure how I feel about trusting Toyota, although we might get a better deal since buyer confidence in the brand is lower. And I know NOTHING about Nissan, and so I don't know how good of a brand it is... reliable? trustworthy? are we going to get as much life as we did out of DH's CR-V? (13 years, 250K miles, barely any major repairs)

Any info would be great!

ADS

firemomof3

My parents just bought a new Rogue and they don't like it. The back windshield is difficult to see out of and it has a big blindspot. They loved the RAV-4 but it was too expensive.

mom2juliarose

My parents just bought a new Rogue and they don't like it. The back windshield is difficult to see out of and it has a big blindspot. They loved the RAV-4 but it was too expensive.

Oooh good to know. I don't know if DH test drove it today or just looked at it... I'll make a point of telling him that.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Rogue was on my short list for my oldest son, and once I sat in one I eliminated it. Visibility, and feels cheap. The CR-V I personally would never buy with kids because of the centre seat being such a nightmare install for so many seats.. I can't speak to the RAV-4, but the new ones sure look neat! When I was looking at similar size/price vehicles, I ended up with a Mazda Tribute. I did a lot of research beforehand, and although I'm so NOT a domestics fan...it really was an excellent buy. Great for seat installs, three TAs (roof mount, but you're already used to that).. decent for three across, centre LATCH borrowing... Maybe you should ask DH to add the Tribute/Escape to his short list?

-Nicole.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If the CR-V meets your needs you guys like them, they seem ok. Do neither of you commute much? With only 1 kid, if i were buying a new(er) car, I'd probably want one that gets GREAT gas mileage...to be used for commuting, and then the CR-V you have to be used for hauling/when you need more room. But, if you guys don't drive much, or have enough money that gas budget isn't a concern, that wouldn't matter.

marjen

I have a 2008 RAV4, and I wouldn't recommend it. It drives/handles well, and we really haven't had any problems with it...but the seat belts in the backseat are a nightmare (specifically the center). It's hard to explain, but it basically makes it a 4-seater car. The connector for one part of the center seat belt is in the middle of the outboard drivers side seat, so if you have a passenger there, they would be sitting on that connector. It's a poor design IMO.

N

nationalemergencyid

Haven't checked on the Rogue yet but I can say the both CR-V and RAV-4 are normally a 4-seater vehicle. If you need a 5-seater, I would recommend somewhere in the SUV class vehicles.

Melissa Lynn Wilhelm
National Emergency Id

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC