OT - split nails

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm a reformed nail biter, but this winter, I've had trouble with the nails splitting. It doesn't tear down to where it hurts/bleeds, but just a layer or two of nail peels back, especially my thumbs.

I've tried the nail strengthen nail polish (althought I admit it may be too old - can that happen?).

Any hints, ideas, suggestions?

ADS

Duckieheart

Pre-natals. Not that much different than a regular adult multi- but excellent for the skin, nails, and hair.
Also a moisturizer will help. Vitamin E too.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I wish I could take vitamins. Most of them are off-limits to me, though, because of my allergies.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Since I have lotion in every room of my house, in the car and in every bag so I can apply frequently, I guess the next step is to cut back on the "potty breaks" and diaper changing duties, lol. Oh, and less time swimming laps as well.

skaterbabs

Can you use lanolin? What type of lotion are you using? Some are definately better than others, and it's not always a price matter either.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't know about flipper68, but I know I can't use lanolin. Small amounts of lanolin are okay, but anything more than a teeny amount can be problematic. It isn't easy to find good lotions without lanolin in them, but they do exist.

skaterbabs

well, the thing with lanolin is that a very tiny bit goes a long way. My MIL swears by butter, I've heard straight extra virgin olive oil is good too.

Duckieheart

Since I have lotion in every room of my house, in the car and in every bag so I can apply frequently, I guess the next step is to cut back on the "potty breaks" and diaper changing duties, lol. Oh, and less time swimming laps as well.

I found my skin was getting horribly dry since being pregnant- because I was using the restroom so much more and then washing my hands. I got some anti-bacterial hand lotion at bath and body works. I use that about half the time, and it helps with my dry skin.

Another idea for the very dedicated, is to put lotion on (but dont rub it in entirely)- then put on cotton gloves for an hour or so (or just go to bed that way). Really good for dry skin and nails. You can also use petroleum jelly.

JaRylan

I don't know if this will do anything for you nails or not but it does make the hands feel wonderful. Pour a little bit of sugar and baby oil in your hand and rub them together and then rinse off.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC