needless spending?

mayamac

So my Radians only RF to 35 pounds. My girls are 32# and 38#. Is it needless spending to buy new seats? wwyd? We have the money, but we are trying to cut back on things in general. (DH took about a 35% pay cut. ouch.)

DD1 5yo approx 38#, 42 inches tall
DD2 3yo approx 32#, 37 inches tall

They typically ride in the Radian 65s (dd1 FF, dd2 RF) DH has a high back turbo booster in his car DD1 has been in that once so far and did well.

Should I buy 1 XTSL for little DD? DD1 will be jealous if DD2 has a nice girlie new seat. I could put her girlie booster in main car. Buy them both new XTSLs?

also in my basement there is a 2008/2009 Madison Regent and a 2005 Roundabout. The roundabout is just sitting there waiting to expire.

I'm not sure if DD1 could even ride RF. We usually all ride together in the main car. DD1 behind the DH and he is 6'4" in a Sonata.

Should I just quit thinking about this and turn DD2 back to FF when she hits 35# and at 32# how much longer do you think that would be?

ADS

NVMBR02

I would stick with what you have. It is hard to say how long your dd has to get from 32 to 35 pounds, it could be a few weeks, it could be several months. Both of my older kids tend to stay at the same weight for 6-8 months before gaining.

If you are very uncomfortable with ffing a 3 year old you could sell the Radian and replace it with a Myride65. I personally wouldn't but ds was turned forward facing at 2 1/2 when he reached 33 pounds. (he was in a 33 pound MA at the time) He hit 35 pounds a month later and was 39 pounds once the 40 pound rear facing seats started coming out.

abigaylebelle

I don't think I would stretch my budget to rf a five year old. As for your three year old, it could take a long time before she weighs 35lbs, so I probably wouldn't rush out and get another seat. Since children gain on average 3-5lbs a year at her age, she might make it to 4 in the seat she has.

Maedze

I can't think of a reason why I'd spend money to rear face a 5 year old.

For the three year old, I'd want to know how three she is. Just turned three? Or 6 weeks from four? Also, how tall?

mayamac

the three year old's birthday was January 24th. The mark on her wall growth chart done in October is at 36.5 inches, so I guessed her to be at 37 inches tall. DH took them out, but then they get back I can measure her better. (btw, the 5 yo turned 5 on Dec 7th and is quite petite compared to her friends, but maybe she just has large friends?)

Maedze

At 37" she's probably got a chunka room in the Graco My Ride. Why not get her one of those instead?

NVMBR02

Yeah, with a just turned 3 year old that is that height and weight I would consider selling your radian to fund a myride.

mayamac

I guess I was thinking that if I'm buying a new seat just to RF then I should buy an extra 10 pounds (to 45) vs an extra 5 pounds but I wasn't sure about how fast she would grow. Based on DD1 not 40 at 5yo, it could be a while.

So then, which is the best of my current seats for the 5 yo? Radian65, Regent or the TurboBooster? or all equal and let DD choose?

NVMBR02

I would keep your 5 year old in a harnessed seat for now, since you have them. She doesn't sound like she really needs the Regent but there is no reason not to use it since you have it. I would use either the Radian65 or the Regent, whichever you like/fits better and keep the booster as a back up seat for her.

My dd's favorite seat was her Regent. If I had room for it she would still be using it. As it is though, we don't have room.

NVMBR02

Thinking about it I would consider putting your older dd in the Regent if you buy a pretty myride65 for her sister. Then she has a nice new (to her) girlie seat and you have one radian and one turbo for backup seats.

myliljunebugs

I wouldn't bother with a Regent for that petite of a 5 year old. How about a new XT SL for little sister (I bought one for DD at over a year older than yours :) ) and a new cover for your older one to put on her Radian? It's always nice to have a backup cover just in case.

myliljunebugs

Oh, wait, just realized you already have the Regent. No reason not to put her in it then, just thought you meant to buy one. Missed that :eek:

mayamac

oooohhhhh- I can put the 80 covers on my 65??? So I could do primrose or princess? I did not know I could do that. I do like having the extra space vs no space with the Regent. Maybe I can sell my Madison cover. This cover is impossible to find, hmmmm how much could I get away with charging?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC