Radian SL clarification

Raegansmom4

Pretty much every online store claims the SL can be used up to the 80 lbs (well, for the 80 and XT). I know from here it can only be used all the way to 80 in vehicles manufactured after Sept 2005. I can see a lot of misuse occuring when the parent reads on the web descriptions (even skjp.com) that the LATCH can be used to 80 lbs. I'm betting too many parents will miss the warning section of the manual and use the SL improperly (like if I used it past 48 lbs in my 03 Taurus, for example). We all know the majority of parents do not read the manual the way they should. Anyone else concerned about this?

ADS

emandbri

When calling sunshine kids the women on the phone said that you could use the latch to 80 lbs. I told her that I actually couldn't because my van is a 2004. I really wish they would make this clearer.

Raegansmom4

It should be made very clear - especially on the skjp.com site itself. I'm afraid there will be a crash w/ a parent using their LATCH beyond the limits because they have an older vehicle but didn't read the manual and a child could be hurt or die. Scary.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
In a word, I'll quote Maedze "yup".
I just got as new 65 SL and it says in big letters on the box "install with LATCH up to 65 pounds, no seatbelt required"
that's it..no asterisk, no tiny print, nothing to say it's only applicable in cars with a DOM after 9/05. To find that info, you have toi look in the manual, which we know a significant %% of parents simply won't do. and lets face it, most people don't drive an 06+ car...
It's a really big, huge danger IMO.

Raegansmom4

I would think SK wouldn't want the liability. Yes, it's in the manual, but a good lawyer could fight it as it is not very clear on the box, on the Web site, etc.

APmama2MAK

I would think SK wouldn't want the liability. Yes, it's in the manual, but a good lawyer could fight it as it is not very clear on the box, on the Web site, etc.

Thats what I was thinking. Why would they open themselves up to that sort of liability? My child is in a crash, latch fails because it was used at 65 lbs...even if it technically should be able to handle it (I dont know what latch before sept 05 was REALLY made to handle) that radian box said I could use it!

emandbri

What IS the difference between pre 2005 LATCH and post 2005 LATCH?

After 2005 the latch was changed and can hold higher weight. Before that some cars might have latch strong enough but it wasn't required until 2005. My understanding is that when latch came out all the seats only went to 40 lbs so that is all that was tested. It wasn't until there were seats that went to a higher weight that they started to worry about using the latch after 40 lbs.

Last edited:

my2kidsSafe

ok i am a bit confused here. I have a radian65 and an 06 town and country. It has latch limits of 48 lbs. Are you saying i can use my radian latched beyond the 48 lbs. I have been using the regent latched for dd who is about 46 lbs and i can never get a tight enough install using my seatbelt. If i can use latch i will switch her to the radian for now. Until i meet with a tech. I was actually thinking about switching her to a booster temporarily since i don't like my seatbelt install. She is almost 6 so it is acceptable.

NVMBR02

ok i am a bit confused here. I have a radian65 and an 06 town and country. It has latch limits of 48 lbs. Are you saying i can use my radian latched beyond the 48 lbs. I have been using the regent latched for dd who is about 46 lbs and i can never get a tight enough install using my seatbelt. If i can use latch i will switch her to the radian for now. Until i meet with a tech. I was actually thinking about switching her to a booster temporarily since i don't like my seatbelt install. She is almost 6 so it is acceptable.

If you have a Radian SL and your car was made after Sep. 05, then yes you can still use LATCH. It is important to check the date of your vehicle though, because a 06 model could have been made in Aug 05 (for example).

Pixels

You would need to have an SL seat (Radian 65SL) and your vehicle's date of manufacture must be 9/1/05 or newer. A 2006 vehicle may have been manufactured before that date. The date is on a plate or sticker in the driver's door jamb.

If you have a non-SL seat, or if your vehicle's manufacture date is too old, you can not use LATCH beyond 48 pounds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC