I am an idiot... Total Wack Job...

arly1983

About two weeks ago we were loading up for one of our long road trips. I have one of those closed in garages and couldn't get the doors all the way open on the car so I backed out AND right over our snugride. It was trashed. Ok so I panicked. I ran down the road and bought an overpriced Britax Decatlon (308 total) and installed it quickly. Went on trip. I really missed my carrier. My little girl was still on the first slots so a real good friend offered to let me borrow her snugride. So we used the Decatlon 5 days. Still have the tags and receipts and everything and its in DD's closet. My DS is about .5 in from outgrowing his Marathon. So I am trying to find a Regent. Then it hits me: WHY OH WHY didn't i buy a regent that was sitting five feet away that day and put my daughter in the Marathon???? Now I have this seat in my closet and a big charge on my credit card. What I am going to do now???

ADS

lovinwaves

Yeah, probably will not get anywhere near what i paid for that Decathlon:confused:

Well, you know never until you try to sell it. If you have all the stickers on it then that should help.

If not, then just sell your Marathon. That way you could get the full 6 years of life on your Decathlon.

tchrgrrl

Did you ask at the store if you can return it? After our accident we had to buy 2 emergency DC which we used for 2 weeks - while on vacation and waiting for DS1's Regent to arrive. We knew one of the DCs was temporary and decided we didn't like the other DC either. The store accepts returns within 30 days, even used for a 20-25% restocking fee. We kept the DCs really clean and we were able to reurn them for a restocking fee of 20%. Better than we would have gotten selling them used. (plus in our case the insurance company will pay the restocking fee)

arly1983

Hmmm, I will call and ask. It hasn't been anywhere near 30 days. But it was a small baby boutique so probably not.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I'd take it in person rather than calling - you're more likely to get a better response, especially if you try to order a Regent through them...:D

AtomicLush

I'd take it in person rather than calling - you're more likely to get a better response, especially if you try to order a Regent through them...:D

Chiming in a little late, but I was going to suggest that as well. Tell the owners that you'd like to return the Decathlon to get the Regent and see if they'll do an exchange, even at a restocking fee...because I don't think you'll be able to sell it at full-price unless it was a highly sought after fabric that's out of stock due to all the internet sales and discounts popping up recently.

arly1983

Yeah, I am afraid I can't return it. The lady at the store is like the only person who sells really nice baby stuff in this area. You would have to drive to Macon or Jacksonville to get the same selection. She explained to me that since I had mailed in the warrenty card, she couldn't do a return. She said if I still had that she wouldn't care. But anyway she sold out of her Regents about three weeks ago. She said she has never sold on to someone who didn't have a special needs child before but the three she had were gone in like a week. So I directed her to the youtube video and some articles. She was like so thats why Britax is back ordered. She just got in the Safeguard carseat. It looks georgeous but man its tall. Anyway, we are going to keep the Decathlon and use it as a spare seat. We are plannin on more kids so we should use it.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Just curious...how on earth is your barely 2yr old son about to outgrow his MA? In your pic, he's still rf has room over his head...and if he's about to outgrow it rf, why not use it ff??? Actually, I'd use the DC ff for your son (if it's a matter of rf height) and use the MA rf. The DC is easier to use ff. This is assuming you can't return the DC.

arly1983

As far as weight he has a LONG way to go. It is the height where he has a problem. He is about .5 inches below top slots of Marathon. So techneically at 31.25 lbs he can rear-face. ( I just moved him back rear-facing,he did weigh in at 34 untill a couple of weeks ago.) I would love to keep him rear-facing till 35 but his head is above the shell of the scenera and I'm not comfortable with that. Not sure if technically he could still go in the scenera since rear-facing the slots are supposed to be below or right at the shoulders. Poor thing he is going to be a stringbean like his dad. In the waist he fits into a 24 months but the legs are like 3 inches too short. Same with shirts, if it fits through the shoulders, it is way too short over the belly. I think I am gong to have to learn how to sew. I am looking for him to stop growing some time but at this last doc visit he had grown .5 inch (thank god not in his torso)

arly1983

You know he does look shorter rear-facing in that picture. I just looked at it. I hope i didn't have his straps too tight and he was being compressed.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
WOW, I'd have to see a pic of him ff in his MA! Can't believe a 2yr old has that long of a torso. My friend has a HUGE 2yr old (all the way around...height/weight/torso etc)...and he's not quite even with the 3rd slots. He's bigger then ALL the 3yr olds in my daycare.

Splash

I'll take one for you too, Kay, when I go to the store next. Charlie is between the third and fourth slot on a MA at 18 months. He's over the top slots on every other 40 pound convertible except the Triumph and Intera (and I asumme Uptown and the AO clones, but haven't tried lately).

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Good gracious...what are you feeding these kids?! LOL Those boys are HUGE. Now, Spash...I know Charlie is on steroids...so doesn't quite count...although does steroids affect height or just weight?

Splash

Feeding...hmm.... for the first ten months or so, nothing but breast milk. Then some neocate and vivonex (but still breast milk) and finally solids at around 13-14 months and now nearing 19 months he gets most of his nutrition from solids, but still gets breast milk and occasionally formula.
He's actually only been on oral steroids once, and as far as I know all they do is beef up weight from muscle and fluid retention. And make him angry at the world and totally miserable. He's been on topical steroids forever but I don't think that really affects size too much, just thins the skin.

I don't think he's that big. Okay, bigger than most kids his age, yes, but not that big in general. The size of a three year old I would guess.

AJ has a class this weekend... perfect opportunity for me to hit the car seat aisle at Target! Yay! And isn't it sad that Target has more seats than BRU? All BRU has is 14 different AO patterns...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC