7 Kids in Toyota Sienna??

I am going to have 7 children including mine next week. I have an 8 passenger Toyota Sienna. I know it would not be best practice to have one of the children sit in the front passenger seat but am trying to figure out seating arrangements for while they are here. The best case scenario is that my dh will be available to take at least one if not two of them in his car if I have to go anywhere. I am trying to figure out the best seating positions for everyone (for both the scenarios of having 6 & 7 of the children in my vehicle).

Children:
ODS - 8 years - 52 lbs - currently rides in Jane Indy Plus
Friends ODD - 8 years (rides in a booster)
DD - 6 years - 42 lbs - currently rides in Radian 65
Friends ODS - 5 years (rides in a booster)
YDS - 4 years - 30 lbs - RF in Orbit Toddler Seat
Friends YDD - 3 years (rides FF)
Friends YDS - 18 months (I think he is RF & I would want him RF)

Seats Available:
Jane Indy Plus, Parkway, Parkway SG, Turbobooster NBB,
Marathon, Regent, Radian 65, Orbit Toddler Seat

I could probably also snag a couple of seats from my friends vehicle when her dh drops them off. They have: a Roundabout, FPSV, Compass booster, and either an Evenflo or Cosco booster.

I would like to keep my YDS outboard in his Orbit so I can easily snap his seat on & off the base. My 6 yr old DD could go into a booster if it would make things easier. How would you arrange the seats in this situation?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
6yo is the oldest FFing harnessed child*, unless one of the 8yos fits in the Radian, so she's up front. I'll let others more familiar with the Sienna work out the rest.

* I'd consider bending the "oldest FFing harnessed child up front" rule if one of the unharnessed kids was significantly older, like 13 or 14, but with all of them eight and under, I'll stick with the standard.

christineka

For the back row you should be able to fit the parkway on the driver's side, the radian in the middle, and the jane indy, nbb, turbo, or other parwkway on the passenger's side. Put the rest wherever, having a ffing harnessed child up front.

emandbri

Since I think you will need the radian in the back to fit three back there I think you best bet is the 6 year old in the front in the regent.

Back radian 3 year old, booster, booster.
Middle orbit 4 year old, rf marathon 18 month old, booster
regent 6 year old

I first posted to put the 8 year old in the regent but there is no tether there and the regent requires it after 50 lbs.

You could also put harnessed seat in the middle row instead of a booster but then couldn't flip the seat.

The kids could go through the back hatch or you could slide one of tbe middle row outboard seats forward and the could squeeze through, Daniel would do this in mine.

The problem is I bet you will have to buckle the boosters in the back so it might be better to be able to flip the seat.
Best of luck!

Last edited:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Actually, since there are big britax in the mix, you can probably puzzle in the third row, also. I can fit a nautilus, ff or rf big britax, and either a turbo or parkway across my third row. Read your car manual, as there are instructions on how to install the child restraint in the front seat so that the airbag is disabled.

cookie123

Has anyone put a car seat in the front seat of any vehicle? I'm just curious, as I've tried one in mine, and found it impossible because of the rigid belt stalk on the female end. Now I don't recall which seat I tried to put there.

christineka

put a rf seat on an outboard middle seat. Move the seat to its most forward position. That way you can make the seat back go forward for getting the kids into the third row. (I have a rfing radian and keyfit on my outboard middle seats and can make the seatback go forward.)

NannyMom

3 year old rides FF, but will she ride RF with you?

(passenger side) (center) (driver side)
3rd row:
Jane Indy Plus (8 year old), Marathon (3 year old), Parkway (8 year old)

2nd row:
Regent or Parkways SG (5 year old)*, Roundabout (18 months old), Orbit (4 year old)
Slide passenger seat all the way up for access to 3rd row (install Regent with latch if child is under 48Lbs).

Front:
Radian (6 year old), seat moved ALL the way back

Will the Radian install well in the front seat? If it doesn't, I'd really be tempted to put the most mature 8 year old in the Graco NBB (no back, further from airbag). I know MY 9 year old would do great sitting in a NBB in front, but she;s very mature and rarely moves at all in her booster.

Thanks for all the help!! I ended up putting my 6 year old in the Regent in the front. The second row has the RF Orbit, RF Marathon, and Parkway SG. The third row has the Jane, Radian, and Parkway. The third row was a pain as the Radian was a bear to get installed in the middle position but I followed the directions in the Radian Installation thread and was able to get it installed securely.

I would have loved to RF the 3 year old but she is too heavy to RF in any of my seats (she is over 40 pounds). I would also have liked to put the 5 year old in a harness but I was unable to grab any seats from their van before it left.

emandbri

Glad you got it to work! I agree getting the radian in that middle spot is a PITA! Once I got mine in I didn't move it again! lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC