My dd is at a cheerleading clinic right now

scatterbunny

Our local YMCA is hosting a 3-hour cheerleading clinic for girls ages 4+, taught by the high school cheerleading squad. Profits go to the Doernbecher's Children's Hospital charity drive, something the local high school participates in every year. We've actually been honored numerous times for having the highest donation totals.

They teach the girls a routine, give them pom-poms to keep, and then on February 21st the girls who want to, can participate in a half-time show at an alumni game. :)

This is the first time dd has gone, she loves to dance and perform at home, although she's a bit uncoordinated still. :p So we signed her up.

She was sooo excited, put on her favorite black leotard with a rhinestone heart on the chest, her short ruffled denim "cheerleader-ish" skirt, some sneakers and was ready to go!

We got there and she was nervous right away. There were probably 50 other girls there, with only 4 high school girls to teach. A few adults to supervise. She was one little girl in a SEA of girls, and was out of her element.

They lined the girls up in three long lines and started teaching them the steps. Hayley barely moved for the first 20 minutes. She stood there, slightly shifting from side to side, with her arms straight down and stiff, looking pretty nervous and unhappy, looking around at the crowded gym. Whenever I caught her eye she smiled and waved, though.

Finally, when they introduced a jump into the routine, she got excited, and started moving! She was better than I thought she'd be, considering both her parents have two left feet. :p

Only about 10 parents were there, and there were chaperones, so I decided to leave for the last 2 hours. I go pick her up in 45 minutes. My little girl is growing up, with such a different personality than I had--more social, into dance and performance. I'm so proud of her. :D

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Wow, she *is* growing up, huh? Isn't it great to see your kid doing something like that, though, and enjoying it? Congrats - seems like a good kid :)

broken4u05

Aww that is cool. She will be a cute cheerleader. I did something like that when i was little but there were not as many kids in the class.

scatterbunny

Yes, I didn't expect it to be so crowded, I don't think the cheerleaders and chaperones thought it would be so busy, either. They seemed surprised.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Awww... that's great! Bitsy signed up (um... if you knew me... having a child named Bitsy who wanted to be a cheerleader is the last think you'd EVER expect from me, rofl!) for basketball cheering this year at school...she gets to cheer at like the 9 year old girl games. She's really not very in to it (considering how loud and perform-y she is at home...), but she gets to wear the uniform and it is 12 kinds of cute! We got pompoms today for the first time, it was very exciting, lol.

I'm glad Hayley warmed up to it as soon as she got some jumping action, lol.

:)

broken4u05

you are going to have her showing you what she learned over and over. It was fun. I even still have my pom poms like 15 years later

scatterbunny

I picked her up and she actually cried the whole 5-minute drive home. :eek: I felt so bad for her. She didn't want to leave. The girls were playing Duck Duck Goose and having so much fun.

I don't have a good zoom on my camera and the way they had the 50ish girls arranged it was hard to get close to Hayley, but here are a few pics:

Cheerleading002.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

3.jpg
5.jpg

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Oh, what fun pictures! They do look like they're having a great time. :D And Hayley looks very cute in her outfit - !

scatterbunny

Thanks. :) She picked it out all on her own--no input from me. Pretty good taste for a cheerleading outfit, I'd say.

The little girl in the green outfit holding her hand and standing next to her is her friend Haley (they always call each other by their last names because of the confusion with Haley and Hayley, and they are in the same kindy class). Haley is actually a bit older than MY Hayley--hard to believe, huh? :p

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Wow. So I'm willing to bet that Hayley is tall for her age and Haley is short for her age...? Well, for their "same" age :)

scatterbunny

Yep. Hayley is off the charts for height, about the 80th percentile for weight. I don't even know where Haley fits on the charts, but she's under 40 pounds for sure because she uses a harness on school field trips.She's probably only about 42-43 inches tall, since Hayley is 48ish inches tall.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh how cool for Hayley! :D I can't let Leila see these, though, or she'll be mad I haven't found something like this for her :p

lovinwaves

It looks like she was having blast!!! I loved the photo where it looks like she is waving at you! It says, "Look at me mom!!! I having so much fun!! THANKS!!" :D

Michi

Too funny!!! We just did the EXACT same thing!!!
IMG_1634a.jpg

IMG_1627a.jpg

(Julie is the second from the left on the bottom row....right behind the HAT of the guy sitting in front of me:rolleyes: )

Aren't these clinics great? The High School girls picked all 'Disney Jamz' music for the kids to do their routines to. It was adorable!

Haley looks SO adorable too! Glad she had fun!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC