Question Carseat thats great for a long vacation/drive!

OK ladies heres the scoop, were planning a long vacation coming up in June. Going from here to Vegas which we are going to split in 2 days, then to Disneyland and then Universal Studios and back home. We going for 9 days.

My question is I do have a MR that we use RF'ing but I was intrested in looking for another carseat since I am selling the MA (not feeling love for it anymore)

Can anyone suggest a good carseat for prolonged driving? Most comfortable for long drives, and sweat resistant? I hate taking my LO out of his seat and his entire back is wet with sweat! Not fun!

I am in the market anyways for a new seat! :love:

ADS

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
We went on a road trip in August, it was 6 hrs of driving each way. DS almost 3yo then, was RF in a Radian and didn't complain once. He had lots of leg room, and was able to see over the sides and look out the windows. We left at 7am, and brought DS in his jammies.
DD 4yo, sat FF in a TF for that trip, so thats also a good seat (RF for you), she also didn't complain, and if anyone was going to, she would have.

(Please iggy the pillows behind the big kids next to him, they moved them before we left the drive way.)

Last edited:

Mommy2Marcus

Marcus rode for 9 hours to FL back in August RF in his MR. He slept the entire way there. He also rode 9 hours in it back from FL & he did pretty good. We made the trip there overnight & then the return trip home during the day. He did not have any trouble at all sleeping in it. He was also VERY comfortable with plenty of leg room. I did put it at a 45 degree angle though.

scoutingbear

Both of my kids outweighed RF quite some time ago (for the seats on the market at the time), but, we did a 9 day road trip to Montana and back last summer and C rode in his Radian FF and A in his GN. I chose C's RN over his MA due to the deeper seat, sitting closer to the vehicle seat to reach toys and things, and the fact that he does not get all sweaty in that seat like his MA. I really was undecided until the day we left, but so so glad I chose the Radian for him!

nmb

The Radians are the least sweaty seats I've owned, for sure. And great leg room.

Agreed, love the mesh covers for less sweating! That is the ONLY seat my DS does not sweat in, and he sweats enough to be soaked completely usually. (we're in az...so almost always over 100 in summer months...the Radian is much better for us!)

amyd

Thanks for the Radian support...LOL....How is the TF for long drives?

We've used the TF for a few long drives & DS has been quite comfy. If I think he's going to be sleeping quite a bit, I do install it more reclined than normal, as he tends to get head slump in that seat if it's as upright as it is normally installed. We do love our Radian too, though:whistle:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Agreed, love the mesh covers for less sweating! That is the ONLY seat my DS does not sweat in, and he sweats enough to be soaked completely usually. (we're in az...so almost always over 100 in summer months...the Radian is much better for us!)

I've never even used the mesh ones (though my cousin in TX loves hers.) I have 65s (suedy) and a Princess (kind of twill.)

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
We have a TFP as well. :)

Ds doesn't sleep in it as well. I guess it is because of the headwings on the xtsl. It is just such a wide seat that his head slumps to the side no matter if I do recline it more.

As a newborn w/ the inserts dd slept well in it.

Kat_Momof3

you know, if the kid likes the MR, I'd probably just get a second one... really, any seat can work for long trips... my daughter rode in a scenera for a 8-10 hr trip to PA when she was little and rf... we had to put 3 across the back because there were 4 adults and it was easier than taking two vehciles... so I managed to squish the Scenera in between the Marathon and a highback turbo.

The only one who complained? My oldest in the turbo... he couldn't get his legs comfy... lol.

Really, I think just being in a harnessed seat makes a long trip more comfy, because my oldest complained just as much when we took a 4-hr trip to get him a Regent... which I promptly installed (it in the box wouldn't fit in my van... so had to take it out, so I adjusted it and installed it super quick... I'd researched it so much I already knew how to install it long path, which was allowed for over 40lbs back then), and he didn't complain ONCE the trip back... of course, he had a mild scoliosis then, so just being able to have his back straight the whole trip would help comfort... but you get my point.

A radian would give additional grow room... but it's all about what you prefer... I know the Radian can be tricky to install and adjust.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC