What booster?

skipspin

What booster would you get for an almost 7 yr old, 50# (average to short)that will NOT be LATCHed most of the time?

It will probably be in the 3rd row of a Mazda5 most of the time, sometimes in the second row where it could be LATCHed. Her Parkway is expiring.

I'm just not feeling the love for anything right now. Go ahead, kick me off the board.:whistle:

ADS

skipspin

I'd go with the Vivo or the TB. I don't think the average 7 yo needs the SG on the new PW.

Ah, yes, I was going to say I'll only consider the SG if it's optional. DD doesn't need it and she has to be able to buckle herself in a reasonable amount of time- which she can do in her Radian and in the PW if it's not smooshed next to two other seats.:cool:

Maedze

No, Britax considers it non-optional. Which is silly. Most kids need a booster to at least 10. A 10 year old doesn't need a crotchstrap.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe the Strada will come out before your PW expires? And Bitsy loves loves loves her Vivo, have you already scoured your BigLots looking for one? Maxi Cosi Rodi XR?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Maybe give the Monterey a try?

I'm not thrilled with booster seat selection either to be perfectly honest. We bought one for Jillian yesterday, but it was a case of best (for our vehicle and fit on dd) of what was available. Between things that just weren't user friendly for a kid buckling themselves - or price - I can't justify $350 on a booster so didn't even consider the Oobr, there's not a huge selection if you have a tall torso'd kid that's going to need a highback for awhile.

I know 3rd row of the Mazda 5 defrost has had success with a good belt fit with the Nautilus. That forward of the seat back shoulder belt is going to be problematic with the booster, so I think you'll need something that has a thicker back to put the belt guides and your ds' shoulders closer to where the belt comes out of the vehicle.

(On the bright side, not being thrilled with many of the boosters does equate to not buying a crazy number of booster seats. :p )

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I, too, am not thrilled with any boosters at the moment. The Strada is out. I've not read any reviews though, but I do like the looks of the seat. The Vivo or Monterey could be good options too. I really like the Oobr and would love to justify $300 for it, but so far I can't.

Has she voiced a preference? Do you have a budget?

skipspin

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, I'd love something cool looking. I mean, everyone has a Turbo. So boring. Granted, it's for their 3 yr old... Obviously fit, price, and ease of use are more important than coolness. Mostly. I have considered the MaxiCozi, but AFAIK there is no way I could try it. My only hesitation to the Monterey is that it's heavy (right?) and I don't have LATCH back there. Otherwise I'd probably just get that. DD loves her RN and is very comfy in it.

DD would like something moderately girly, or at least not borning. She wants a high back since she says she likes to sleep on the cushions. I agree unless the seat back there is supportive enough for some reason. She does use a backless sometimes in other people's cars when she isn't going to sleep and does fine.

Budget, eh, no Oobr. I'd like to keep it at or under $100, but if something is perfect I could spend more, but not close to $200. I'd be more likely to spend more if I could pass it to DS1- even if it needed a new cover. Oh, and DD is about 1/2 in. from the top slot on her RN for torso height reference.

I have a 7 yr old 62 lb 50 inch child. That said at the moment he is in a Lbb in my van and db's car. my xh wont even let him use a car seat in his car (he tellls him he is a big boy and doesnt need a booster) so getting him to stay in the lbb when he is with me is getting tough. I can tell you he likes his big kid lbb that he has in my van and the turbo booster being used as a lbb in db's car and we havent had problems with either one of them. I also like the Harmony booster and have thought about getting him one of those. Also another suggestion is to use the Apex 65 to harness your child to 65 lbs and then use the booster to 100..just an idea.

emandbri

I really like my monterey. My only complaint is that is can be hard to move from car to car when latched but it wouldn't be latched anyway. Depending on how much time you have you could wait for the cybex which is sure to be out someday. :rolleyes:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
And, See I have a Vivo Lite and HATE it as does dd#1. It has a short seating depth and my dd#1 is short (short legged at that) and she complains that it hurts her legs.

We both hate it also esp if you have a rigid belt stalk like both of our vehicles have. My 8.5yr old can't buckle herself up with out difficulty.

Now I am on the hunt for a booster for my 6.5yr old almost 60lb 49" dd#2 and NOTHING out there appeals to me.

I wish Britax would bring the PW back. I mean the original PW from from like 5yrs ago.

Qarin

Having made the decision to buy another harnessed seat for my 5yo, rather than pass along the 8yo's GN and booster the 8yo (for their primary vehicle- both have boosters for other vehicles- the driving time percentage is like 98% in the primary), I'm hoping for some good new booster choices in a year, when DD1 will outgrow her GN. I'm not loving the current options.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And, See I have a Vivo Lite and HATE it as does dd#1. It has a short seating depth and my dd#1 is short (short legged at that) and she complains that it hurts her legs.

We both hate it also esp if you have a rigid belt stalk like both of our vehicles have. My 8.5yr old can't buckle herself up with out difficulty.

Now I am on the hunt for a booster for my 6.5yr old almost 60lb 49" dd#2 and NOTHING out there appeals to me.

I wish Britax would bring the PW back. I mean the original PW from from like 5yrs ago.

The Vivo is good for an older kid because their feet can rest on the floor, rather than needing a footstool like she did in the PW, so in essensce, the leg support is actually better because it's short. Obviously my 10 yo wearing size 12 jeans is going to have a different experience, though :D. She doesn't find the PW comfy at all (and it was the only seat my ds ever complained hurt him to sit in :eek:...I still made them use it because it was so tall, lol, I'm mean that way). But also, for the third row of a Mazda5, there's not a lot of legroom back there, a short, shallow seat seemed like a good idea...since her kid is short like yours(well, compared to mine, not short, ykwim), it might be iffy if she finds it comfy. :/.

Kat_Momof3

I agree with Jools... I'd get a Vivo... Jeffrey is longer in the torso than Bitsy is (I believe that's still true... it used to be... wanna measure her for me and we can compare?) and he loves his sister's Vivo for the super soft cover and his feet rest on the floor.

Of course, since it's pink, he wouldn't ride in it... lol.. but he was perfectly thrilled to sit and demo it.

I also love it for my third row... its' the only booster that fits to full height AND it's one of the tallest on the market, so I just totally feel the love.

I am considering, because Ruthie is just plain built differently, selling the Monterey when Jeffrey outgrows it and get another Vivo... the belt fit is just THAT much better on her... unless she manages to widen enough by then.

the difference in height wouldn't have mattered with Damian... he would have passed the 5-step test when he would have outgrown the Vivo in torso height... Jeffrey I don't know yet... we'll see... and really, that's what's going to be a deciding factor... Ruthie has the longest torso so far of all 3 kids... and the Monterey goes one notch (about 2") taller.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC