My plan - tell me what you think

kmgt

Current situation

DS 5yo, 37lbs, 38ish inches. In a Marathon, in my Sienna, that will expire in August.

DD 3yo, 33lbs, 36ish inches. In a Boulevard, in my Sienna, that won't expire for a few more years.

Baby #3 due in July

We also have a Roundabout in DH's Sierra, that will expire soon too. I haven't checked the date, but it was bought shortly after the MA.

My Plan. Buy two Frontiers for my Sienna and move DD's BV to DH's truck.

The kids are currently in the 2nd row captains chairs in the van. When the baby comes, one will go to the 3rd row and the baby will go in the captains chair.

I'm still trying to decide between Frontiers or Nautilus's for my van. But I'm thinking with DD being only 3 and a new baby on the way, I'll get longer use out of the Frontiers.

So, what do you think? Anything you'd do differently?

ADS

Maedze

I think the Frontier is overkill for your 5 year old. She's petite and doesn't need the added weight limit. The Nautilus is easier to install and has more kid-friendly features.

For the three year old, would you be open to rear facing him again? That would be my first preference. In lieu of that, either the Nautilus or the Frontier are fine.

Don't forget to top tether both of them!

What's your plan for the newborn?

kmgt

The reason I was thinking of the Frontier was because he is so small. He's going to need to be harnessed for longer and then we'll still have the use of the frontier in booster mode, when he outgrows harness.

My 3yo is so close to the weight limit for RF that I just don't know about turning her back again. She was 33lbs after being sick for a few days so she may be more like 35 anyway.

We will be getting a new snugride for the baby. Our old one expired and we've already gotten rid of it.

myliljunebugs

I think when she asked about RF'ing your 3 year old, she was most likely going to suggest the Radian XT or 80 SL, they rear face to 45lbs, or even the 65 SL which rear faces to 40lbs. Other 40 lb RF'ing seats are the MyRide 65 (but height can sometimes be an issue if the child has a long torso) or the CA which only has a FF'ing 50lb weight limit, but nice tall slots and a nice tall shell.

I think the Frontier is a great option for your oldest, especially with 2 younger ones to keep passing down to. That 9 year lifespan is just made for families like yours :)

ETA, in my siggy you can see a pic of my DD, at 43lbs RF'ing in the XT SL, she and I are both very sad that she hit the weight limit for RF'ing

NVMBR02

My 3yo is so close to the weight limit for RF that I just don't know about turning her back again. She was 33lbs after being sick for a few days so she may be more like 35 anyway.

We will be getting a new snugride for the baby. Our old one expired and we've already gotten rid of it.

Several seats rear face to 40 pounds (or more) now (Complete Air, Myride65, Radians...) It is worth a look at least.

Otherwise I think your plan is fine. I think the Nautilus is a great seat and will keep your ds harnessed for quite awhile if he still fits in a Marathon. Between the Nautilus and the Fronter it is really personal preference I feel. I am debating between them for my 4 year old. He has some time left in his Radian though, so I am going to wait for the Frontier85 to come out in March.

For infant seats I like the Chicco Keyfit, The Graco Snugride 32/35 and the OnBoard35.

Maedze

The reason I was thinking of the Frontier was because he is so small. He's going to need to be harnessed for longer and then we'll still have the use of the frontier in booster mode, when he outgrows harness.

You are going to get the EXACT SAME AMOUNT of harness time out of the Nautilus as you would the Frontier. The top harness position is nearly identical. In fact, the NAUTILUS is a bit taller. Because the weight limit is so excessive on the Frontier, you don't need it. She'll have outgrown the height limit before she's anywhere near the weight limit...usually between 6 and 7 years old.

You don't have to harness longer because she's small. Just like any other kid, she needs to be harnessed until she can sit in a booster maturely 100% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong the Frontier. It's just not going to give you anything the Nautilus can't do cheaper and with better ease-of-use features.

For the three year old, I was going to suggest a new convertible :). The Safety First Complete Air with a 40 pound limit or the Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL with a 45 pound rear facing limit :)

Which Snugride are you planning to buy?

Mommypooh

I was under the impression that the 9 year life span on a frontier would allow longer use of the harness and with many children to pass it down to it would be a great idea. I wish I had bought the Frontier over the nautilus as to the fact that I have to throw away the Gn when it is 6 years old as it sucks as a booster in my vehicle. I could have gotten more life out of a frontier for my three kids.

Maedze

True, but even with a six year lifespan, her current three year old will have long outgrown the harness, not to mention, after six years of full time use a seat is going to be grody, no matter how well you care for it.

In fact, come to think of it, six years from now, her not yet born child will be pretty close to outgrowing the harness.

The backless booster on the Nauti does have a nine year expiration, so the seat is going to last as long as it needs to.

I guess the nine year lifespan on the Frontier is pretty meaningless to me, and doesn't outweight the other benefits provided by the Nauti.

Not that, again, it's a bad seat. Not at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC