DVD Mounting for RF?

kellihope

We are looking into getting a portable dvd player for the car, and found these 2 products to mount to the headrests. . . I can't figure out though, will they work for a RF child? It hooks to the headrests, I'm assuming that means the back of the driver's/passengers headrest, so would it work if hooked to the backseat headrest facing the RF child? Here are the 2 I'm looking at,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Digital-Innovations-MoGo-Portable-DVD-Player-Car-Mount/10825993

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Digital...yers/7439275.p?id=1124431815079&skuId=7439275

thanks!!

ADS

Jonah Baby

DVD players/screens/etc. are largely discouraged by safety advocates, especially carseat safety technicians.

In an accident, a rear facing child seat will "cocoon", forcing the child and restraint toward the back of the vehicle seat, sometimes having the child come in contact with the seat itself. Cocooning itself normal and accepted.
A forward facing child will also be thrown against the restraint, potentially or likely hitting the vehicle seat in front of him. This is why young children should be rear facing, to prevent spinal injury when they are thrust so violently forward.
DVD players and the like are also rarely installed in the vehicle so that they do not pose a projectile hazard to the vehicles occupants.

In any way that the DVD player/etc. is placed in that vehicle, there is a real increase in the risk that could occur to your child and/or other occupants.

Would you THROW your child's face into that TV screen?

ctbcleveland

Jonah Baby is correct that cocooning is a risk for RF seats.

I happen to use a RF seat with a tether, so I don't have as much of a concern on cocooning as other people do with RF seats.

I would probably not use one of the portable hand-held DVD players with the mounting brackets you showed.

I would instead consider one that mounts on the car's headrest.

rodentranger

I have both boys rf in the Altima and finally broke down and bought them a DVD player at Costco. In our car, we have a center armrest that folds down. I mounted the DVD player bag/mounting kit there as if it were a headrest and take the player out when not in use. The boys are outboard.
I'll try to get a pic of the setup later.

horseymom

we have them as well. I have a 'cage' (for lack of a better word) for the back to keep the dog and groceries in the back of my explorer. I mounted the rf dvd to the center of DS headreast zip tied to the 'cage' so it's not dorectly in front of him. I can post pics if anyone wants to see the set up.

rodentranger

0212000922.jpg

Really bad shot from the front seat:
0212000921.jpg

It's an Audiovox 8.5" player with the carry bag/mounting bag at Costco for about $100. It even has a remote!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Our backset is set up similar so I bet this is something we could do! Thanks rodentranger! I was looking into actually having another screen put in our ceiling but facing the other way, but of course that was going to be mighty pricey and I have to worry about if they do something to mess up my vehicle. This would be great for a 6 hour drive we have coming up and both DD's could watch a different movie this way. And the DVD player isn't in front of her face which I like for safety reasons. My older one usually flips down that arm rest when we travel because it has cupholders at the front but I'm sure she'd be fine with keeping it up if it meant she didn't have to entertain her little sister the entire way. :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
We have DVD players, but they are the kind designed to be mounted in the car, specifically, and not just "portable" ones. They fit inside these bags which then strap to the headrest. We consier themn very necesary for long trips.
As to those mounting brackets you posted to...I'd have to see them in person to see how sturdy they felt, I guess.

canmom

I drive a Grand Caravan with captains chairs so I just mount them to each headrest :duck:. I know it isn't the best thing to be doing but at the same time, both of their seats are tethered and I feel good about the way they are attached to the headrest. It certainly saves my sanity when driving.

jess71903

Ambassador
We use one meant for the car. I didn't like the velcro strap that it came with, so I have replaced it with a cargo tie-down strap like this (one on the left)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC