Cloth Diapers vs. Carseat Fit

Jonah Baby

When I switched J to cloth I began to wonder about this.

Some of his diapers, like FB, are relatively thin and comparable to the size of a disposable. SOME, however, are NOT - like when I use a pre-fold with or without doubler and a cover over it.
With him, I have not noticed a big enough difference in space that I need to readjust the harness, so it must be just fine, right?

Well, how about a newborn?
It will be a real rarity for this baby to have a disposable on.
Newborn and small diapers, of any kind, seem to be MUCH thicker/larger/puffier/etc. than J's diapers are, even if I use a plain pre-fold and a cover.

Would a Tech be concerned about the amount of compressible material on baby's behind? Would this go along with the puffy jackets and compression in an accident level of safety concern?
Am I over-thinking this?

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

I've seen this discussed before (I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the fabric for the cloth diapers are denser than what is used in "puffy jackets" so there wouldn't be a concern about it compressing in a accident.

birdflippin'

I've never really given cloth diapers a second thought when in the car seat when it comes to compression. Then again I'm not a tech. I always figured that since there's not exactly much space to slide though the harness by the crotch and hip area as there is at the shouders, it wasn't a huge concern.

I personally try and have my boys in the thicker cloth diapers so I don't have adjust the crotch every car ride. If it is safer for them to be in the thinner ones, then I'll do that instead.

Evolily

The issue is compression- ex, a wool coat is less concerning than a down coat. Most cloth diapers aren't really "puffy", they are more solid. Plus, especially with a rear facing child, you wouldn't expect the crotch to absorb as much of the crash forces. The crash forces will be, for the most part, distributed across the torso and shoulders. That should also reduce compression.

Pixels

During a crash with a rear facing child, the child's body will try to ramp up the seat. Basically, all the child's weight will be taken off the child's bottom. No compression of the diaper.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Right. And even with a FF kid, the car would basically have to crash up for the diaper to compress down.

I'm a tech and my kids wear/wore cloth, and I'm not concerned a bit. It's nowhere near the same thing as a puffy coat.

emandbri

I never worried about it either. Just keep an eye on the harness slots. Elizabeth and Benjamin both only wore disposables on road trips and depending on how close they were to the harness slots I had to move them down a slot for the trips.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC