School Bus Safety

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
How old is the child in question? How much does s/he weigh? Is there a behavior problem that makes this child unable to sit properly on the seat?

Most kids once they are 5-6 years old (if they are average sized or larger) are fine on a school bus, and school buses are much safer to ride in than cars, statistically speaking, even without restraints.

MomToEliEm

I send my two kids on the school bus each day (5 and 7 years old) and don't have any issues with there being no seatbelts on the bus. We have gone over the bus rules and there is a monitor on the bus to keep the kids in line.

karlatta

My children aren't old enough for buses, but I don't have a problem with them or the idea of my children riding in them when they are older. Statistically, school buses are so much safer than regular passenger vehicles. And school buses are designed differently than regular vehicles. They rely on compartmentalization to protect the riders inside. The seats, seatbacks, floors, etc. are all designed so that the child will stay within the confines of the seat and injuries are reduced that way.

I would only be concerned about a child who wasn't developmentally ready to sit on a seat and would be trying to stand, walk down the aisle, etc. But generally teachers and bus drivers are pretty good about dealing with that sort of thing.

Evolily

School buses are 800% safer than cars. Because of the size of a bus, it is much more likely to "win" in an accident. The training of the bus driver and the fact that they drive fixed routes further improves safety. Compartmentalization, the way the bus is designed to absorb and spread crash forces, is actually very safe for kids over around 5 years old in most types of accidents. Lap only belts actually interfere with compartmentalization, and decrease safety.

For kids under 5, you want them in a harness if at all possible because compartmentalization doesn't work as well and they often lack the impulse control to stay seated. The two kids I take care of ride in lap only belts (they are 3 & 5 years old) on their school bus. Not my choice, I would rather them be harnessed, but they aren't my kids. Knowing how safe buses are, I believe they are at least as safe on the bus as they are properly restrained in the decade old compact car in the driveway. Most likely, they are more safe on the bus.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
This earlier thread about school bus safety at http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=75544 has crash stats comparing school bus trips to transporting kids in personal passenger vehicles to and from school. Of particularly significant note: 800 child deaths per year in personal vehicles going to and from school alone, not counting school-related activites, vs. 7 child deaths per year in school buses with approx. 23.5 million school children riding 440,000 school buses to and from school and to school-related activities daily in the U.S. The same thread also has links to school bus crash videos illustrating school bus crash safety and compartmentalization.

SJMom

Well thanks everyone! I had no idea buses were that safe. I have two 6 year olds who are well behaved in the car, so I will just give them reminders of what's expected when they sit on the bus for a field trip and I will not fret about their safety.

(Thanks for the link to the old thread. I had tried the search feature, but I didn't get any hits.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC