Roanoke Times article, and my response...

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Way to go, well said. I especially cheered at your reply to the commenter who foolishly brought up the Freakonomics argument.

skaterbabs

Thanks, I ran the reply through Cam just to make certain it wasn't too....abrupt. :rolleyes: He's my "tact-meter", since he claims I have none. :p

JaRylan

Good job Rebekah. I still don't understand how people can be so opposed to saving lives.

I think the following applies to the commenter who you addressed:

"Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know." Cullen Hightower

Obviously he didn't know much but he had a lot of thoughts on the subject, lol.

There's another idiotic-sounding conspiracy theorist reply on the first blog thread.

I thought your post was great, Rebekah, and Chris' as well. The bit about "Terry" not making a good argument for vetoing the bill, but rather making an argument for legislation to limit who can become parents, still has me chuckling... :D

Simplysomething

Reading both sets of comments it seems to me that Terry is just a blowhard. He/She isn't interested in facts...just supposed conspiracies.

I'll admit to thinking similar things..before I learned otherwise--it didn't make sense to me that a carseat should expire, kwim?

But looking at evidence that shows me where my reasoning was wrong---made me change my opinion.

Can anyone counter his/her statement that the odds of drowning in a swimming pool are greater than dying in a car crash? Considering that car crashes are the number one killer and pools are not? He/she states that it's 18,000 to 1...Now, something tells me he/she's got something screwed up with his/her reasoning.

Then he/she complains about taxpayer money being "wasted" on it. Something tells me that this person is arguing just to argue. The person who urged the veto of the bill in the first set of comments seems more reasonable--though I do disagree. Is Safekids even a government agency?

I believe there is a huge amount of scare-mongering out there. But small children being PROPERLY restrained in cars? Not scare-mongering.

skaterbabs

I'm not sure what the stats on drowing are, but I wasn't about to go into that at the time. It was late and I was spitting nails. :p

As far as taxpayer money being wasted, well I happen to think the welfare payouts to people who become disabled due to car crashes in which they chose not to buckle are more of a waste. :rolleyes:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Good job Rebekah, I'm glad they printed it

Oh we definitely "waste" more money on fixing problems AFTER they happen -- prevention (by boosting booser laws, not vetoing them, etc.) saves $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where is that "official" Freakonomics respose? It needs to be posted there!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If no one else posts the official Freakonomics response, send me a PM tonight -- I'm filling out more college applications right now....

Simplysomething

Help, I can't get the new comments to show up. I see the thingies on the side that say recent comments. But can't get to them. Direct link to them? Maybe? someone help.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I posted. I wasn't very nice, though :rolleyes: It has to be approved. I guess if it doesn't show up in a few days it'll need toning down :eek: (I forgot to spell check, though!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC