thrift store carseats any advice?

santasgirl

I'm so tired of seeing expired seats seats in bad shape and all at thrift stores
is there anything i can do besides just spending my own money to buy them so others cant?

ADS

tjham

Razor knife up your sleeve?

JK! (Sorta...)

I know how frustrating it is! If I have time, I say something. I have had some places pull them but who knows, they probably put them back as soon as I leave. :(
Many of the big "chains" won't take them now so some progress has been made.

Crystal.

CPS Technician
I know exactly how you feel. I buy way too many seats just to destroy them. :( At one of the stores around here I've attempted to educate them and they just don't care. :(

santasgirl

i know salvation army wont but yea i would love to do that
i wish there was a law or something so i could flash it and just dispose of them mysef

mum2two

Here's how I was successful.

I brought in a print out that explained the dangers of expired carseats.

I also explained that without knowing the history of the seat, and that seats can have cracks etc that aren't visible, the store is putting any child who uses the seat in possible danger and putting the store in line for a big lawsuit.

I called ahead and made sure the manager was in and then just presented the facts, I used a very expired seat from their selling floor as an example.

christineka

I sent letters to corporate, talked with my local store managers, had them pull every expired seat every time I went in (they did), and sent a letter to my local store. I may not have made any difference, but now the whole chain does not even accept car seats.

nevaehsmommy

Our Local goodwill and salvation army still sells seats. I have used the big "L" word with them but it does not seem to phase them. I usally bring in my lap top and hope and pray the seat has been recalled, bc that is the only way they will throw it away.

"L" word being liability

KDsmommy

This drives me insane...I am a thrift store addict. I actually stopped in a couple of them yesterday. At one store I found an OLD Century infant seat that was manufactured in 1995 :eek::mad: It did not have a cover or harness, so hopefully nobody will even buy it. I saw countless other seats though. I asked for the manager at both and was told at both that the manager was not in. I will start asking at every single store I go into.

Our Salvation Army stores will not accept car seats, but all of the others do.

skitle1802

Check you state's vehicle codes. If you show this to the manager or drag a cop into the store, I'm sure they will change their policy.:twocents:

This is from CA vehicle code:

27362. (a) A manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer shall not sell, offer for sale, or install in a motor vehicle, a child passenger restraint system that does not conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards on the date of manufacture. Responsibility for compliance with this section shall rest with the individual selling the system, offering the system for sale, or installing the system. A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor (Expired seats do not meet federal safety standards)

Child Passenger Restraint System: Prohibition Against Resale After Accident
27362.1. (a) No individual may sell or offer for sale a child passenger restraint system that was in use by a child during an accident involving a motor vehicle.
(b) A violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

Added Sec. 2, Ch. 703, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003.

rosey2007

What scares me the used children stores that sells used car seats. If anyone should know better it should be them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC